Looking at a new amp/cab and an attenuator -

cabinet offers 4ohm and 16 ohm mono - the question is, is there a difference in sound? I'm not up on the impedence tech stuff.
'08 Shecter C1+ w/jb-jazz
'10 LTD Deluxe EC1000 w/Blackouts
Peavey 6505+
Peavey cab
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
ISP Decimator

Lefty
The real difference is 8.

No, there's not much difference in sound. I'll try and dig up that tone chart I found showing what the impedance does to the tone.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Hah! Sure it is. I guess the question is, what's the significance of the difference?

Edit: Ah, yeah, that's what I'm trying to find out, but I'm not finding much. Also already used some of the search keywords on the forums here.
Peavey 6505+
Peavey cab
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
ISP Decimator

Lefty
Last edited by jgleason82 at Aug 24, 2010,
Quote by bubb_tubbs
The real difference is 8.

No, there's not much difference in sound. I'll try and dig up that tone chart I found showing what the impedance does to the tone.

it's 12 :P
www.myspace.com/decognition

Guitar Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Freeway
Korg DTR2000 Tuner
Axon Ax100
Hughes & Kettner Triamp Mk||
Boss V-Wah, CE-5, TR-2

Bass Rig:
Ibanez sr700
Ampeg BA600/115
Boss MT-2
Why do you need a new amp? You have a Renegade
Why do you need a new cab? You have an Egnater cab
Why do you need an attenuator?

From all my travels, I've learned that there is no significant tone difference between 4, 8 and 16 but I'll have to look at what bubbs has.
Quote by viper_mike
it's 12 :P

So it is. I'm tired and was thinking 12 but wrote the third impedance for some reason.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
The impedance is the load the amp sends out to the speakers, and the on the speaker cabinet, the impedance are the load the speakers are expecting to see from the amp. Most people don't have 2 of the exact same cabs with the same speakers in them to test tonal differences. If you're like most people and have 2 cabs with separate impedances, a bigger difference will be construction and speakers.

You will notice a difference in tone when you mismatch impedance though. Supposedly most new amps can tolerate a mismatch up or down "1" setting i.e. an 8 ohm can tolerate going into either 4 ohm or 16 ohms but a 16 ohm couldn't tolerate going into a 4 ohm. My friend has done this, and said sometimes it can be desirable.

Anyway, I personally don't mismatch impedance though. Hopefully someone with more knowledge on that will come by...
I have a huge fear if rays.
^true, mismatching creates different tones

...but I didn't think we were talking about that. I read that EVH mismatched his shit all the time until the tubes and Output Transformer where on the edge of meltdown. Brownsound?
Just thought I'd mention it since it's way of getting different tones by messing with the impedance

I've read other people have done it, something about mismatching down a step to make the tubes work harder. Or maybe it's the other way around This is why I just stick with keeping them matched.
I have a huge fear if rays.
The difference is 12 Ohms

Seriously though, I would assume a higher impedance would cut some of the higher end from your tone, though with only a 12 Ohm difference, I highly doubt the difference would be audible.
Higher impedance = more coils of wire both in the speaker and the output transformer.
More coils = higher inductance
Higher inductance = harder for high frequencies to get through.

In practice? How good are your ears?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ ah, but if we are using the same transformer with multiple taps, we now have those extra un-used coils coming into play. and if we are talking different output transformers, we now have different ammounts of iron!

but yeah, most people cant tell much, if any, difference.
Doesn't matter what the rest of the coils on the other tags are doing. Only the coils in the signal path matter. Higher impedance = more coils.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i wouldnt say that the coils for the other taps do nothing, but the impact is so minimal its pointless to even worry about it.

i was just being a smartass
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Why do you need a new amp? You have a Renegade
Why do you need a new cab? You have an Egnater cab
Why do you need an attenuator?

From all my travels, I've learned that there is no significant tone difference between 4, 8 and 16 but I'll have to look at what bubbs has.

Because in a few months I'll be trading the renegade in for the armageddon

And the attenuator dumps wife agro.

My overtime has been cut back some, just trying to get the money plans in order.

Thanks for the info guys!
Peavey 6505+
Peavey cab
Line 6 Pod X3 Live
ISP Decimator

Lefty
Last edited by jgleason82 at Aug 25, 2010,
Helpful info here.

I wondered why that 4 ohm fender frontman cab sounded like a can of bees.

Might just due to the fact that it sucks however......
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works