whats the sound difference between: Stiletto, oversized, standard, roadking, and the lonestar??? not sure which one to obtain (I plan on using a 2010 solo dual rectifier head)

I play mostly metal...the nwer stuff usually, like lower-tuned stuff, btw

thnx.
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
Last edited by C_majzer at Aug 24, 2010,
That's really a lot of ground to cover when trying to compare all of those cabs. Anyone of them will be a great choice. It's going to come down to projection, speakers, slant/straight, construction, etc. I'd go for the Stiletto or Standard.
Quote by Guitarmiester
That's really a lot of ground to cover when trying to compare all of those cabs. Anyone of them will be a great choice. It's going to come down to projection, speakers, slant/straight, construction, etc. I'd go for the Stiletto or Standard.

true... is it actually possible to try out one and then return it, then play thru the next one? I know its a long shot, but Im willing to go through anything to get a good tone (provided, these would from online sites..so i guess it depends on their policies)

but I do prefer streight cabs more than slant for the extra low-end frequency push, well I wouldn't say "extra" maybe "more focused"
Yeah. But the same can be said for DAR amps and other amps which use "weird" tubes...dammit I want a pair of KT120s..I might blow up my amp and burn my house down, but at least I'll go out in a blaze of glory
Last edited by C_majzer at Aug 24, 2010,
I heard the standard cab is a bit more punchy than the oversized which sounds muddy to some.

Ulitimately I'd get a Mills Acoustic 4x12" if you're willing to shell out like $200 more for a better cabinet.
Gear:
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Peavey 5150II All Tube 120w Head
Avatar contemporary 2x12 (Celestion v30's)
Peavey Vypyr 15w (Fantastic Practice Amp!!!)

Got Djent?
Quote by DakoRob
I heard the standard cab is a bit more punchy than the oversized which sounds muddy to some.

Ulitimately I'd get a Mills Acoustic 4x12" if you're willing to shell out like $200 more for a better cabinet.

I assume they have different 412s but would you happen to be referring to the "afterburner"?
This company's cabs seem to be hard find as far as obtaining one. Thanks for advise!
Standard Cab = Oversized Cab

Stiletto Cab = Traditional Cab

Just so you don't get confused...the oversized is the standard now.

Anyway, to completely generalize it, the Stiletto will sound a little tighter, and the Standard will sound a little bassier.

I'd just try them both if I could...different strokes for different folks...like, personally, I prefer the Stiletto, but a lot of people like the oversized best....its all preference.
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by SLonergan
Standard Cab = Oversized Cab

Stiletto Cab = Traditional Cab

Just so you don't get confused...the oversized is the standard now.

Anyway, to completely generalize it, the Stiletto will sound a little tighter, and the Standard will sound a little bassier.

I'd just try them both if I could...different strokes for different folks...like, personally, I prefer the Stiletto, but a lot of people like the oversized best....its all preference.

sweet thankz a lot, and as for the Mills Acoustic 412s, it seems like (according to some posts on other sites) you (or 'I' rather) would have to contact the company some way and have one built... someone was selling theirs on a site forum, mint condition for like 900usd and they mentioned it being a few hundred less than new straight from the company, but anyways... still looking for one tho (cuz the one being sold could only be shipped anywhere within 100 approx. miles from California).
Stiletto = Marshall Sized
Recto = Bigger than Marshall
Roadking = Bigger than Marshall, But with a half open back

I don't know what a Mesa "Standard" cab is, and I think Lonestars are partially open backs as well.
Quote by bemiswins
if someone flames you on the internet for music you like, they fail.

Here's my YouTube if anyone wants to see some of my videos.
Quote by Benguitar2
Stiletto = Marshall Sized
Recto = Bigger than Marshall
Roadking = Bigger than Marshall, But with a half open back

I don't know what a Mesa "Standard" cab is, and I think Lonestars are partially open backs as well.

that helps alot
The Recto Standard is the same thing as the OS cab as others have said. The Traditional is the same as the Stiletto.

The Standard has a bigger lowend and can get boomy with the wrong amp. I've not tried a 2010 Recto, but with the older 3 channels, this was certainly the case. The Stiletto is a more focused sound, less lowend and tighter, it's the safer bet, but the OS can sound massive with the right amp. The Road King is a half back. The top is open and the bottom is closed. Really cool to use with the RK cause you can assign different channels to come out of different parts of the cab, but since you can't do that with a regular Recto, if you played out of all 4, you'd get a pretty loose sound because of the open back top portion. However, the RK cab is the best Mesa makes in terms of quality and sound, but you'd need to close the top part to really gf a good sound out of it. The Lonestar, I have no idea. Didn't even know they made those in 4x12s, but based on the fact that the Lonestar is a clean/mid gain amp, I'd say they're not the right choice for you.

As others have suggested though, I'd definitely shop around at other companies. I love my Mesa OS, but after buying an Emperor a few weeks back, the Mesa just fails in comparison. Definitely look into them, Mills Acoustics, Port City, Splawn, etc before you decide on anything. Hell, an Emperor 4x12 is even cheaper than a Mesa
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The Recto Standard is the same thing as the OS cab as others have said. The Traditional is the same as the Stiletto.

The Standard has a bigger lowend and can get boomy with the wrong amp. I've not tried a 2010 Recto, but with the older 3 channels, this was certainly the case. The Stiletto is a more focused sound, less lowend and tighter, it's the safer bet, but the OS can sound massive with the right amp. The Road King is a half back. The top is open and the bottom is closed. Really cool to use with the RK cause you can assign different channels to come out of different parts of the cab, but since you can't do that with a regular Recto, if you played out of all 4, you'd get a pretty loose sound because of the open back top portion. However, the RK cab is the best Mesa makes in terms of quality and sound, but you'd need to close the top part to really gf a good sound out of it. The Lonestar, I have no idea. Didn't even know they made those in 4x12s, but based on the fact that the Lonestar is a clean/mid gain amp, I'd say they're not the right choice for you.

As others have suggested though, I'd definitely shop around at other companies. I love my Mesa OS, but after buying an Emperor a few weeks back, the Mesa just fails in comparison. Definitely look into them, Mills Acoustics, Port City, Splawn, etc before you decide on anything. Hell, an Emperor 4x12 is even cheaper than a Mesa

Thanks! I'll look into them!
Owning both a OS and now a Traditional I can say that I am far happier with the Traditional. It's just a lot tighter in comparison and that's what is needed for most metal. Especially now adays. The OS was a great cab though, but as Matrix said it can be boomy/loose with the wrong head. Running my Baron/RM100/5150 though both I liked the Baron and RM100 better though the Traditional and the 5150 through the OS. 5150's need a little extra umph which I feel the OS helped a lot with.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X