i used to be a gear snob back in the day, "gibson this, and fender that" now i find myself more attracted to the cheaper less expensive instraments.
for instance a while back i played a gibson SG les paul custom (aka tuxedo) and absolutely hated it. i have played 2,000 dollar fenders, and thought my squier sounds just as nice. even when i buy a new bass or guitar i refuse to buy new, they must be used. i personally think that older instruments sound better then newer ones due to the wood aging.
I really dont care whos name is on the headstock as long as its a quallity instrument.
Is there something wrong with me for prefering older, cheaper used basses/guitars or am i not alone?
guitars i like older ones.. if something goes wrong i can fix them.. amps are a bit complicated for me so i like warranties
I personally buy brands that I know I like, don't really care what reviews say etc. Hell I have a 300 pound guitar that I wouldn't trade for a 3k Taylor or whatever.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I like old shit better in general. My amp is 32 years old and sounds badass, my guitar is 25 years old and also sounds badass.
I think it's because your expectations of the more expensive instruments are too high.

When you're buying an expensive guitar, you expect it to be good in every way, but of course no guitar is perfect, so every slight flaw is magnified by the price. With more affordable guitars, you don't have those expectations and appreciate them for what they are.
Quote by Venice King
I personally buy brands that I know I like, don't really care what reviews say etc. Hell I have a 300 pound guitar that I wouldn't trade for a 3k Taylor or whatever.

But you'd actually be able to lift the Taylor.
My general rule of thumb is, if the guitar is less than $500, the quality probably isn't there. And that's what it really comes down to is quality. I've picked up the cheaper guitars and played them, but I can tell the quality and attention to detail just aren't there, nor is the wood quality. I'll occasionally pick up my daughter's $200 Ibanez, or my son's $150 Squier and play them. They're not bad guitars, but they just don't compare to the guitar I own costing upwards of $3k. There's just something to be said for picking up and playing a quality instrument. Am I a gear snob? I don't consider myself one, but I am a snob for quality and my amps, guitars and gear reflect it.

Buy what you can afford. Buy what sounds good to you. If an inexpensive, used guitar sounds good and meets your requirements, then you've satisfied yourself. If that same guitar sounds good to those you play for, then you've made a good choice.
I agree with you. Sometimes I'm really unimpressed with the "top-of-the-line" gear.

I think used/worn/vintage gear is 10 times more awesome. The imperfections are what give it its character. For example, I got my Blues Deluxe used. It had cigarette burns on it as well as other knicks/scrapes in the tweed, but I think that makes it so much cooler.

As for the low-end gear, as long as it's a quality company and a well designed model (such as a strat), you should be able to get a solid tone out of it, even if it's a "low-end" model (such as Squier). Sure you may not plug in and get an awesome tone (plus the hardware may be low quality), but if you can find the sweet spot (amp/guitar settings, playing technique, room acoustics), you can make a decent guitar sing.

Quote by KG6_Steven
My general rule of thumb is, if the guitar is less than $500, the quality probably isn't there. And that's what it really comes down to is quality. I've picked up the cheaper guitars and played them, but I can tell the quality and attention to detail just aren't there, nor is the wood quality. I'll occasionally pick up my daughter's $200 Ibanez, or my son's $150 Squier and play them. They're not bad guitars, but they just don't compare to the guitar I own costing upwards of $3k. There's just something to be said for picking up and playing a quality instrument. Am I a gear snob? I don't consider myself one, but I am a snob for quality and my amps, guitars and gear reflect it.
You're right. You get the quality you pay for. I just think that price goes up exponentially in comparison to quality (or at least sound quality). For example, a $5000 Gibson isn't going to sound ten times better than a $500 Epiphone. It probably isn't even going to sound twice as good. Yeah the 5k Gibson is going to be a stunning instrument, but definitely not worth the price.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Aug 24, 2010,
Quote by Venice King
Hell I have a 300 pound guitar that I wouldn't trade for a 3k Taylor or whatever.

Man, you must have some serious back problems!

Sorry couldn't resist. Anywho, that's like Mastodon and company playing First Act guitars. As long as you like it, who gives?
Quote by Venice King

That's actually kind of funny, because I have a $3k Taylor that I wouldn't think of trading. It's my #1 player.

Did he say 300 pounds? I'll bet the strap on that one is super thick. lol
Quote by CaptDin

Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
Quote by hildesaw
Man, you must have some serious back problems!

Sorry couldn't resist. Anywho, that's like Mastodon and company playing First Act guitars. As long as you like it, who gives?

Well, they're actually built in a US custom shop, so they aren't as bad as you might expect from the name.

I do think that above a certain price range, you stop paying for quality and start paying for unnecessary "flash" which doesn't really affect the playability or tone.
Of course, some people are only satisfied with the very very best, but that doesn't mean that anything below that is shit.
Quote by sashki
I do think that above a certain price range, you stop paying for quality and start paying for unnecessary "flash" which doesn't really affect the playability or tone.
Of course, some people are only satisfied with the very very best, but that doesn't mean that anything below that is shit.

You've hit the nail on the head. For the past few years, my price point for quality vs. flash was $3k. I'm actually looking at purchasing a Taylor 914CE right now. Still haven't played one yet, but I hear they're like butter. If it's not any better than my Taylor 314CE, then I'm going to look real hard at buying a vintage Gibson ES-335.
If you have any of those old guitars from your snobbish phase, I'd be happy to give them a new home....
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Maybe it's time to accept the fact that it's not the instrument, it's the player.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by CaptDin

Nice.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
Personally- I'd prefer to pay a good price for a worthwhile instrument that's gonna last, so I don't feel the need to replace it or upgrade- but obviously it's important to have something that you're comfy with.

At least if you get a new instrument then you can wear it in yourself I guess.
i don't really like much of the stuff theyre selling now-a-days and i can't afford the stuff that i do like so i build my own guitars.
Quote by dustyboy316
Nice.

I'm actually pretty proud that I was the first person to make that joke.
Personally i like quirky, vintage guitars as opposed to buying things just for the name, i am not saying i have never played a good big name or expensive guitar, but i came really close to buying some eastwood guitar with a really weird design, most would have said it was ugly but it had a lovely tone and feel and bags of character.

So no, you are not alone, my two main guitars are both under £500, the first one was a Gretsch Electromatic that i bought about 5 years ago and i love it, the other one is an Epiphone that i got about 2 years ago, that is also really nice but needs setting up, i know neither of them are small names, but i don't know many people personally that have the same guitars as me.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Maybe it's time to accept the fact that it's not the instrument, it's the player.

I was trained as a woodwind player, so to some extent I agree with this statement. However, I believe there is a point at which the quality of the instrument is so bad that it interferes with the player's ability to produce nice sound.

Obviously, when I played a handmade grendilla bass clarinet at the Kimmel Center (which was f*cking amazing, btw), it sounded much better than when I played a Yamaha student model in my school's band room. That's a reflection of the fact that I had access to much higher quality equipment, so I was able to concentrate more on my technique than on covering up the inherent flaws in a cheap instrument

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm