Boring and uninformative title I know, but I didn't know what else to put.

So my first post in this section.

I want to record with my ValveKing, but of course since it's a tube amp, I can't just plug it into my computer like I used to with my Vypyr.

So I tried another route - I mic'd it up with some mics I found in the house, and plugged my mic into my mixer to my computer, and recorded some songs - it sounds ****ing awful. Regardless of levels and all that, it just sounds like a completely muddy, undefined mess, really really painful to listen to. It sounds amazing in real life through my amp, but I don't know anything about recording, and obviously I've done something wrong.

What can I use to get a good sound? To recreate the sound I hear live as well as I can?

Do I just need good mics? I'm sure the ones I used are the $20 Target kind.

My sound card in my computer is a Creative Audigy Sound Blaster interface. It has MIDI in, 1/4" in, White/Red in, and some other stuff - the mic was just a standard 1/4", so I just used that.

I'm currently recording into the Creative Recorder program that came with the interface, and then editing/leveling in Audigy.

I also have Cakewalk Music Creator 4, but I don't like it as much.

Do you guys have any tips for micing up my amp and making it sound good? Because what I'm getting right now is unacceptable.

A note, even when I used to plug my Vypyr directly into my computer (I used 1/4" from the headphone jack, not USB as I only have the 15W), it sounded a little better, but it sounded like shit too.

I really don't know what to do.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

Do I just need good mics? I'm sure the ones I used are the $20 Target kind.

YES. Everything starts with the mics. No amount of signal processing (well, no reasonable amount) will make a bad mic sound better. If you want to do some halfway decent recordings, an SM57 is a solid investment.

Quote by Offworld92

Do you guys have any tips for micing up my amp and making it sound good? Because what I'm getting right now is unacceptable.

Where are you positioning the mics relative to the speaker(s) of the amp? Both the position and the distance are key. When I record guitar amps, I usually put the mic near the end of the speaker cone. As far as distance is concerned, you ideally want one wavelength between the speaker and the input transducer (fancy term for mic), but that's damn near impossible to measure. Anywhere between half a foot and a foot usually work for me.
"Music Can Change The World Because It Can Change People..." - Bono

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING! SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION AHEAD!

Quote by jtwylie
YES. Everything starts with the mics. No amount of signal processing (well, no reasonable amount) will make a bad mic sound better. If you want to do some halfway decent recordings, an SM57 is a solid investment.

Where are you positioning the mics relative to the speaker(s) of the amp? Both the position and the distance are key. When I record guitar amps, I usually put the mic near the end of the speaker cone. As far as distance is concerned, you ideally want one wavelength between the speaker and the input transducer (fancy term for mic), but that's damn near impossible to measure. Anywhere between half a foot and a foot usually work for me.

I've heard a lot about the SM57's, I'm actually looking at them on ebay.

And I put the mic right in between the two speakers, about a half a foot away.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^ yup, i recommend trying to point it towards the center of the speaker. you might have to play around with it to get it to sound just like you want it.

also listen to your favorite recordings and find out what kind of mic's they used in the studio for those instruments. sometimes you'll find out they used something fairly inexpensive that just sounds great
So other than using a shoddy mic, my interface and programs are okay/not the problem?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
nope, your interface is shoddy too. that sound card is not meant for recording, and will really only get you so far. like, not much farther. and when you buy a good mic, it will have an xlr connection, so you might want to consider a real interface with an xlr in and some decent preamps.
Okay then. Where should I start looking in terms of interfaces? I read that a lot of people on here use Line 6's, but the actual recording/engineering part of music is totally new/foreign to me, so I literally know nothing about it. I'm just used to playing/writing music, haha.

Also, what do you mean by preamps? I really don't want to alter my sound that comes out of my amp in any way. Is it not possible to record completely without added effects on the computer? (Not counting leveling and EQing, of course.)

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Preamps bring the level of the microphone up to a level that your computer can use & process effectively. All microphones that use an XLR connection need preamps to be of much use. Basically, you'll need an interface with an XLR input (which contains a built in preamp) if you want to make good quality recordings. As far as mic positioning goes - experience says that you'll get the best tone with the mic right up against the grille cloth, with the mic a couple of inches off the centre of the speaker cone (usually around where the dust cap & the speaker cone meet).
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Is this in the vein of what I'm looking for?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Cakewalk-UM-3G-Multiport-USB-MIDI-Interface-105346563-i1448468.gc

EDIT: Or rather, how about this? I think it's more of what I'm looking for.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Alesis-iO2-Express-Audio-Interface-105918080-i1533961.gc

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Aug 25, 2010,