if someone cold post a tutorial or a link to an in depth tutorial on building a bass pickup it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to see one in the style of a p bass pickup type deal, with 2 strings per pickup.

I plan on using this to build a bass pickup that is for only one string. Once I get this info and start on the pickup I'll make another post on the interesting project that this will be used for

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

PSN account - DeadAimHeadshot
ok, so if I'm doing only one string, can i just use one pole with a specific wire wrapped around it with hard wood on the top and bottom of the pole?

what should i use for a pole? anything specific or can i just find a scrap piece of metal off of something and use it? is the pole manetized?

what kind of wire and how many times should it be wound should i use for a bass that is explicitly going to be slapped and only has one string ( would i need 2 poles for just one string or only one?)

after wrapping how do i wire it to a pot?

for an expierimental instrument should i bother potting, and is the difference in potting a feedback or a buzz?

so far this is what i see that i need to do, please correct me if wrong

1. place a pole between 2 pieces of hard wood, (not sure what pole should be made of yet)
2. wind a wire (not sure what wire i should use) around the pole probably around 10,000 times.

3.possibly potting but i doubt i will do this.

4 wire the pickup to the volume pot?

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

ugh, unfortunately after researching for a couple hours the only true indepth tutorial is jason lollars book which is rare, and runs for like 200 bucks and up on ebay....

well, if i do get this down i am going to definately make a tutorial with the help and input of others to get a great view of all types and ways of pickup making that will be free and hopefully if it ever does occur will be stickied to the top of this forum!

for now i think im gonna just dissassemble an old pickup if i can get one for cheap and look at it to figure out how its working.

unless somone on here has found a tutorial or has transcribed a copy of lollars book onto the computer and can email it to me :P

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

OR do a google search on Jason Lollar and buy his book for 60....

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LGP&Product_Code=501

Use the magnet descriptions to find the type of magnet you feel is preferable. I am NOT a pickup winder and CANNOT offer a great deal of insight into pup winding, I thought about getting into it, that's when I made that thread.

A pickup is a coil of wire, bring two wires from the pickup, and wah-la you've got an output and ground connection, then attach it like you would any other pickup.

Magnet wire, although, the gauge is your preference, 38-44 gauge will do fine, you may want 38-40 gauge wire to keep it a little thicker for you so it's easier for your first pickup.

I wouldn't bother potting until you know it's working.

The pole should be a magnet, or non-magnetized but use a bar magnet to magnetize the poles. Don't use wood for bobbins or flatwork, it will crack and break.
Well I shouldn't need a bobbin if I'm doing a single magnet I guess so I'd just wrap the wore around the magnet that has the two flat preices in top and bottom.

Oh would a magnet from a small speaker work? It will still be way bigger than normal but in theory it should still work right? Probably need to use a ton more wire around it than a normal small pole on a pickup though.

As far as the 2 wires coming off of the pickup, are they soldered on or attached to the wire coil or the magnet or are they attached to the bobin? Or perhaps just wrap the wires into the weave of the pickup wire as I wind it?

And my project is already strange so just disregard the impractically large magnet unless it will not work.

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

You'll want something thinner and possibly taller than a speaker magnet.

Actually, a stronger magnet means less windings should be necessary.

You use eyelets for soldering the wires down and whatnot, you should do a lot of research on the topic, there are a lot of things that cant be found even within 2 hours if you're reading the sites.
Everything I've found just seems so disorganized and hard to comprehend in how it's all broken up.

So would a stronger magnet also mean I could position the string farther away from the pickup?

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

The wires from the the single (it has to be continuous) wire you wind around the pickup are what you solder to. You leave slack off, that's your first lead, then wind it for ever +2, then you leave slack left over, and that's the second wire. It's just a big loop, with the two wires used for hooking your pickup being the start and end of the coil.

What you can do is: Use a steel screw. Use your pieces of wood at the top and bottom, but make sure that the top and bottom stick through the woods, then attach your speaker magnet to the bottom of the screw and wind the "middle" between the wood slats.

Like this:

.......__
....../ \ ..........................<-Screw head
|========|....................<-Wood
.......| |
.......| |............................<-Screw Body (Wind around this)
.......| |
|========|...................<-Wood
.......| |........................<-Screw Bottom
...|---------|
...|______|....................<-Speaker Magnet (used to magnetize screw)

Essentially, pickups are pretty simple devices. Something magnetized, that has been wrapped in many layers of copper wire, held near a vibrating string.

Hope this helped
Art is Vice. You don't marry it legitimately, you rape it...
-Edgar Degas
Last edited by Tone Deaf at Aug 25, 2010,
Thanks that has helped immensely and answered most of my questions and I appreciate the visualization it really helps as well.

May attempt getting started on this today

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

oh, another question, will the magnet be needed just to make the screw magnetized or will it always need to be with the pickup?

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

You'll always need the magnet there.

Alternatively, you can replace the screw with a cylindrical magnet.

I wouldn't recommend this single pole idea unless you're prepared to do a lot of prototypes. The only company that do something similar on their pickups are Electric Wood, the makers of Wal basses, and when I tried to copy the design, I found it very difficult.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Well I mean it's only for one string so one pole seems ideal. (btw wal basses are awesome that's what justic chancellor of tool uses )

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

Link didn't load for me what is it?

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months

use a standard 6-string pickup in line with the single string

------------------------------ (string)
..._|_|_|_|_|_|_... (Pickup, 6 poles in-line with the string)

deftEDIT:

Looking back, that video's not even very good for describing the idea...
------

Shwiggity.
Last edited by deftonesordie at Aug 27, 2010,
Yeah that's always been a possibility fir this project and that was my fall back plan(but with a single p bass pickup instead) but I wanted to get my feet wet in building a pickup hehe

Guitarist for 11+ years
Bassist for 6+ years
Drummer for 5+ months