One answer- A harmonic minor but the B got flatted, so it's a tad displaced. If it's in A , the three chromatic notes Aflat A A# makes it a trick question, but its cool ,that's cuz you're innovating....keep going. use yr ear...
Quote by ShiningEntity
Eb Major. Relative minor is C minor.

Thats what I originally thought...but the A made me think otherwise. So it's key of Eb maj even with the A natural? A majority of the song is on Amaj and C.
Could you tell us what note (or even better, the chord) the song resolves on?
Quote by DiminishedFifth
Who's going to stop you? The music police?
If u did stress it as cminor, it wd be aoelian then dorian which can work... But starting a wd seem outa place, if it's the root... Well, do u know if any of these notes feel like the root note?... I like tough question's, nd more help ...
Quote by FacetOfChaos
Could you tell us what note (or even better, the chord) the song resolves on?

Most of the verse is A and F (major), the Bb and C are used for transitions mainly. The chorus adds the D and Ab at the end.

EDIT: ^ the A major (natural) seems to be the note the song always comes back to
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Aug 24, 2010,
If u use Amaj, then it's def not Eflat, but it would have been brilliantly atonal to write. A song in eflat with no eflat... Why do you need a key? What will u do with answer?
Quote by Khriss Bliss
If u did stress it as cminor, it wd be aoelian then dorian which can work...

Well sorta. If the key is C minor, you're always using the C minor scale. You can add an accidental (ie #6) to make it sound dorian, but it's just an accidental, not changing the nature of the scale.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Khriss Bliss
Why do you need a key? What will u do with answer?

Just curious

Playing around on the acoustic guitar. I'm not a theory buff by any stretch of the imagination, but this one had me stumped. So I just had to ask
Quote by eyebanez333
Just curious

Playing around on the acoustic guitar. I'm not a theory buff by any stretch of the imagination, but this one had me stumped. So I just had to ask

Haha. I guess it is a good question. When I was starting out I thought that scales were just for nerds with pianos - go figure.

If you have a scale, lets say A minor, once you learn it, you'll want to play and improvise with it in songs. For an A minor scale, it is used in songs with the key of A minor.

Therefore by identifying the key of a song, you'll know what scale to use over it.
Soundcloud
Yes but now we know the Dorian is far from incidental and it was the first listed, so, unless we agree each part has diff keys, or the wrong notes been written, I'm gonna ask, r u sure it's not aminor, ... The c bflat seems like a dark most flamenco line and the aflat gives me the tip it resolves to a... If so I defer to my first answer, a spicy , displaced Aharmonic minor
Quote by Khriss Bliss
it resolves to a... If so I defer to my first answer, a spicy , displaced Aharmonic minor

Sorry I missed this part.

The key of the song cannot be harmonic minor, it's just minor. Harmonic minor would be the name of the scale you can use over it.
Soundcloud