Hey guys, I just got the EHX Little Big Muff.

This pedal is a bit hard to use lol. It has a lot of power, but just a little turn and the sound gets a little messy.

I was wondering if any of you guys owned any Big Muffs or Metal Muff and how you were using it (settings, other pedals in your chain, etc)

I also made an unboxing & review video of it too, so check it out. I compare it with my modded DS-1 in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snqLmhgr7pY
Last edited by ai4281 at Aug 24, 2010,
HNPD mate!

I have the exact same pedal, and I swear by it. I keep the volume around 1 o'clock, tone around 1/2 o'clock (around where the sweet spot is) and the sustain around 2/3 o'clock. It's an excellent pedal.
Quote by ai4281
HNPD? Does that stand for Happy New Piano Day?? lol

I was using it at the setting shown in the photo. I'll try your setting too

Happy new pedal day, lol. Hang on, I've got a pic of my exact setting as well.

EDIT: Pretty similar to yours, really. I remember I was tweaking the tone knob for ages before I hit the sweet spot though, but that could differ for different amps/guitars.

Last edited by NakedInTheRain at Aug 24, 2010,
^^ Yours looks slightly different than mine. I don't have the 9V power sign on top on mine.

When did you get yours??

Edit: NVM, I must be blind. lol
Last edited by ai4281 at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by ai4281
^^ Yours looks slightly different than mine. I don't have the 9V power sign on top on mine.

When did you get yours??

All of them should come with an adapter plug...
I have the Russian Muff. The Muff is a unique pedal. A lot of distortion pedals sound like varients of the same thing, but the Muff definitely has it's own sound. IMO you first have to acquire the taste for it. Which means you have to adapt your musical style to suit the pedal. I really don't think giving you settings will accomplish anything.

Here's a clip of mine that sort of has a "weather channel" background music kind of feel. At least when I got that comment I had to agree.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/fly135/music/play542815
i love my muff, use it a lot, and i now use an EQ pedal with it to boost the scooped the mids, so i get a bit of presence back
it used to be my main source of distortion before i got my Orange head, and i still use it a lot for different purposes, it always sings!
grats man
The way I use it is.

Guitar>Noise Surpressor>Big Muff (sustain all the way up, tone at 9 oclock)>Preamp crunch (heavy, but not overly heavy tone)

The tone I get is a huge sound like what you hear in Pink Floyd's sorrow. Works great for slower playing, but for riffs that are fast and include palm muting I never use it.
Quote by nyandres

The tone I get is a huge sound like what you hear in Pink Floyd's sorrow. Works great for slower playing, but for riffs that are fast and include palm muting I never use it.

Yeah I'm using it like that too. It ain't so great for palm muting or crunch, but it's awesome for solos and slow playing.

I made another video with the Little Muff; this time covering a Megadeth solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hinRyVAN_U

Perhaps not the best song to use the muff with, since this solo kinda fast, but still shows off the muff tone.
Also try rolling the tone knob back a bit, that at 10 with the sustain about 3 is my favourite setting
Is there any difference between a little big muff and a big muff?
I kind of wanted one of these because of the Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream sound.

Does anyone know how to get that tone either? I heard it's a Big Muff and a marshall jcm 800
Last edited by Clay-man at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by ai4281
Yeah I'm using it like that too. It ain't so great for palm muting or crunch, but it's awesome for solos and slow playing.

It's actually great for both of those things, but you have to run it into an amp that's breaking up slightly to get those sounds.

EDIT: ^ Yes, Siamese Dream was all Big Muff, but it might have been a Deluxe Big Muff or a Creamy Dreamer modded Big Muff which Billy Corgan is famous for using. I'm not 100% sure that a standard muff will get you all the way there, but it will get you close.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE SINE WAVE SURFER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Last edited by Dr.Pain-MD at Aug 25, 2010,
try what i do, mids and bass on amp to full, abit of light amp overdrive, turn the master volume down and put the volume on the muff to full, keep the sustain on the muff low with the tone in the middle. This gets a very squishy nice fuzz with me

All the tone tests on my profile 'scorched tone test' and 'squishy fuzz' are done with the muff to give an idea of the range of sounds you can get with different settings.
I've got a standard (well not so much anymore) USA Muff. Good settings with sustain all the way down and guitar volume at halfway - gives it more of an overdrive-y sound, almost like a Led Zep Tonebender tone.

Then I got in there and put in a voltage regulator. Now the good settings are with sustain most of the way up, tone at about 15° N of W, and voltage at most of the way down.

E:
Also amp mids turned up.
Standard USA Big Muff Pi in my board, after the wah.

I tend to have the tone at about 1 o'clock, the tone at about 12 and the sustain at about 3o'clock. it gets used for some solos and generally huge overdrive sounds where I crank the amp and have to be wary of muting otherwise things nearly get completely out of control. This, along with an original Tubescreamer and an original Rat (borrowed and since returned) are probably the best things I have ever stuck between my guitar and amp.

Except for Betty. But that's not guitar related at all...

I also use a Boss DS2 (before the wah) which is more of a boost, although there's a couple of punkier tracks our band plays where it's just turned on and I leave it at that. Having the two modes is useful at times.
Quote by ai4281
Hey, for people that use overdrive pedals on top of the Little or Big Muff:

Do you guys put the overdrive before or after the Big Muff?

Depends on what you want to do. Boost your muff with your DS-1 for some interesting muff toanz. Crank the DS-1 volume, set the tone to taste and turn the gain down. Muffs get pretty mid-scooped when you turn their tone up above one or two o'clock, so a boost from another middy pedal will be great. After that try kickin' it lonestar state style.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Boss pedals may be built like tanks but I would rather buy a cardboard box that is on my side than pay for a tank that is working against me.
Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Depends on what you want to do. Boost your muff with your DS-1 for some interesting muff toanz. Crank the DS-1 volume, set the tone to taste and turn the gain down. Muffs get pretty mid-scooped when you turn their tone up above one or two o'clock, so a boost from another middy pedal will be great. After that try kickin' it lonestar state style.

lol do you know me personally?
Quote by ai4281
lol do you know me personally?

Lol I dunno, do you know A-Top?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Quote by Dr.Pain-MD
Lol I dunno, do you know A-Top?

lol what is with the different ID!

O btw, it turns out I had my tone knob turned down on the Shaman Axe for the past few days. Judging by my YouTube videos, I don't think it was like that before I left for Vegas... hmmm..

With the Little Muff, I was like "man, this pedal is making my tone muddy as hell", but turns out it was just my carelessness.

I always have it on at full, so I didn't even think about the possibility of the knob being all the way at zero. Ughhhhh

Anyway, now the pedal sounds awesome, and I can get some good crunch sound as well as creamy solos out of the thing. Yay
Last edited by ai4281 at Aug 26, 2010,
Quote by nyandres
The way I use it is.

Guitar>Noise Surpressor>Big Muff (sustain all the way up, tone at 9 oclock)>Preamp crunch (heavy, but not overly heavy tone)

Mmm Big Muff with a side of HM-2 is indeed delicious.

My favorite way to use it is with the gain all the way up and the tone at or a little bit more than half. If you want to have some fun though, tune low and turn the tone all the way down (boosting is optional). Doomy as ****
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet