I've played guitar for random things for a while now. Sure I'm good at playing chords and I have good rhythm, But I really know very little about theory, my timing sucks and I cant read sheet music.

The main reason I actually want to start learning to actually play guitar is because friends want to jam, so I try to learn some songs but I cant even really break a tab down. I look at it, I can play the chords, or power chords or what ever is on it but I cant keep my place in the song for crap. I cant keep my place when playing with other people and it just never works out.

Does this have to do with theory and learning to read music or will practice, playing and listening to the song(s) over and over and over help this the most? If I have to get lessons I will. Can anyone else relate to this in their past?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Peavey Triumph 112 120W all tube
Takamine EG333C
I don't really know where you are with your playing, but start with easier songs.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Use a metronome, practice until you can play the stuff in your sleep, play along with the song.. Practice, practice, practice. There's no short cuts to keep in time. It'll just come naturally.

Oh, and when you're learning songs, try learning them in different sections. Learn the chorus, verse, etc separately. I would suggest you use powertab or guitarpro (you can use a program called tuxguitar which is free to read those). You can slow down the tempo of the songs in those programs, and it's really easy to play along with them. When you get the slower tempo down, you can speed it back up to normal
Quote by Duane_Allman
Your gayer than me, and thats pretty gay.
Quote by Twist of fate
If there's blood on the field, play ball.
[center]
The
e|--3---0---0--|
B|--0---1---0--|
G|--0---2---1--|
D|--0---2---2--|
A|--2---0---2--|
E|--3---x---0--|
You just lost.[/CENTER]
Last edited by *kill'emall* at Aug 24, 2010,
As soon as I started typing that OP I kind of realized its probably just more practice AGAIN AND AGAIN.

But one of the things that I think would help is to try easier songs. I know theres a list on this site of levels of songs but is there any good songs that fit along with the genre of Cage the Elephant and bands like that you would suggest?
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Peavey Triumph 112 120W all tube
Takamine EG333C
Quote by MxPxPanic
As soon as I started typing that OP I kind of realized its probably just more practice AGAIN AND AGAIN.

But one of the things that I think would help is to try easier songs. I know theres a list on this site of levels of songs but is there any good songs that fit along with the genre of Cage the Elephant and bands like that you would suggest?

Jet
It sounds like you are mostly trying to improve your timing to play along to songs, so I will answer it based on that. Correct me if I am wrong though.
Try tapping your foot to the beat of a song, without playing along. Then try to count out where the chords fall relative to this. Like if the chords are eight notes, quarter, and where they fall on the beat. Then practice the same rhythm, but slower to get the hang of the timing. Sorry for the long post, but this worked for me!
first headbang stack.