I buddy of mine moved, and while he cleaned his house out, he found his first guitar, (which is proibably about 15 years old...)and gave it to me, its a Vantage, but i know nothing about em.. this one is made in japan...it needs new strings, it probably has the original on it, it sat in a basement in hard case for aprx 6-10 years.. unplayed.. it doesnt look warped or anything, and i plugged it in, and it sounded really nice actually.. even with old rusty strings and on a beater amp. the volume knobs are kinda lose, and i imagine the wiring needs to be re-done. along with it needing to be cleaned. set up..etc..it kinda looks like this only with silver hardware

http://www.yesterdaysguitars.com/sold/VantageArtist800.jpg

anyone know how much these are worth.. or is it worth fixing? i paid nothing for this axe, but just wondering is anyone knows anything about em.??
Can't help you here, but that things pretty sexy.
2012 Gibson Les Paul Custom Classic
2001 Schecter C-1 Classic
2007 Yamaha APX500
Vox AC15CC1 w/ Eminence Tonkerlite
Assorted Pedals!

All for sale!

Call me Matt!
Let's face facts, collecting mainstream American made guitars from the 50's, 60's and 70's is beyond the budget of most people interested in guitar collecting. With prices for unmodified American Classics ranging from $2,000 to $20,000, most of us would be lucky to sport a collection of one or two guitars. Fortunately for us, however, there are a lot of very interesting and well-constructed non-American made instruments from this era that are still within the budget of a collector with modest means. I consider vintage guitars that sell for less than $800 to be budget guitars, but in some cases, prices can slip up to $1000 for really nice examples. On this page, I'd like to offer some opinions concerning the relative value of a variety of budget American guitars, as well as import guitars from the 50's through the 80's. Of course, the largest market place for acquiring these guitars is online auctions and dealers, however, buying guitars without being able to handle them is a risky business. Let's start by discussing the problems associated with purchasing guitars online
pics? or it never happened.

seriously though, hell yeah its worth it. clean her up a bit (how dirty can the guitar get sitting in a case?) grab some of your fav strings and play her. check the intonation, string height and all that.

if shes good then i would forgo the set up and just jam the hell out of that guitar.
Vantage was a fairly respectable brand of guitars. I owned one a few years ago and traded it for a Telecaster. It was best suited for heavily distorted guitar tone. The pickups were kind of hot and didn't do the whole blues/rock thing that I was looking for. Fretwork was good and the neck was very flat and fast. Here's a photo I took back in April of 08.
Quote by JohnRackon
Let's face facts, collecting mainstream American made guitars from the 50's, 60's and 70's is beyond the budget of most people interested in guitar collecting. With prices for unmodified American Classics ranging from $2,000 to $20,000, most of us would be lucky to sport a collection of one or two guitars. Fortunately for us, however, there are a lot of very interesting and well-constructed non-American made instruments from this era that are still within the budget of a collector with modest means. I consider vintage guitars that sell for less than $800 to be budget guitars, but in some cases, prices can slip up to $1000 for really nice examples. On this page, I'd like to offer some opinions concerning the relative value of a variety of budget American guitars, as well as import guitars from the 50's through the 80's. Of course, the largest market place for acquiring these guitars is online auctions and dealers, however, buying guitars without being able to handle them is a risky business. Let's start by discussing the problems associated with purchasing guitars online

Completely off topic, and with those links in your sig, I'd say advertising too.

'ported.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Vantage were reasonably well known for their bass guitars (well in Australia anyway). A friend of mine played one for 15 years, gigging every week without any issues.
They also made a nice Flying V copy which a couple of metal guitarists endorsed in the late 80's/early 90s (my memory ain't that good to remember their names).

My suggestion - hang onto that thing! It's probably not worth a huge amount, but it will be a well-made, good sounding guitar.... and you've got something, while not extremely rare, will be something different to everyone else's Ibanez/Schecter/BC Rich!
Your Vantage looks a lot older than 15 years. It appears to be a model sold in the late 1970s / early 1980s. They were pretty good guitars back then; just not widely distributed and so a lot of people don't know about them.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I have a Vantage acoustic from back in the early 80's and it's a great guitar (still!). Not electric, I know, but this might support the idea that the quality of Vantage is in general pretty good. I've seen the odd one for sale and wanted to buy just based on my experience with the acoustic.
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
I did take some pics, but photobucket isn't workin for me right now..but I went and talked to a buddy of mine, who's a guitar freak.. (history wise... etc) we found out this one is from around 81-85. He said too, that back then, they had really good quality and are reliable for the prices they were. Vantage's were always looked down on, due to the prices- so everone thought they were garbage, but infact they were good. Samick made Vantages in Korea until the late 90's when the line was discontinued. Matsumoko industries made em in Japan from the mid 70's to late 80's. Matsumoko was bought out by Singer and the Vantage name was bought by Samick. Matsumoko used to make copies of Les Paul's, Strats, Flying V's..etc, and were usually really well built.( Ones makes in Japan) I can spend about 30 bucks to get it cleaned and setup. Although this did sit in case for years, there is still alot of dust on it. It needs new pickups, although they do work, but they're kinda pooched. I have afew extra EMG's around that I might get installed. The value of these guitars can be from 350-500 on Ebay, but I'm not gonna sell it. It's.................different then the normals...