Well I'm at the stage at my playing where I feel I need a third party to help me excel over my plateau.

I've been playing for about 2 years and never had a lesson on bass or guitar. I am an okay guitar player, and an intermediate bass player.

I want to get better at both bass and guitar. Bass has a little bit more priority over guitar in my mind, but not by much.

Do you think its better to just get guitar lessons, which would more likely help with both? As opposed to getting bass lessons which don't really cross over to guitar?
Playing guitar, in my mind, is certainly harder. And this is what I've heard from others, too. Also heard of a lot of failed guitarists crossing over to bass. It all depends on what you really want to accomplish and how badly you want to accomplish it. The only problem I see, is that you're self-taught. What that means to me, is you're going to have some bad habits that have had 2 years to set in. Breaking those bad habits could be tough. Most instructors, me included, teach students the correct way to play. You indicate bass is more important. I'd roll with that.
Quote by KG6_Steven
Playing guitar, in my mind, is certainly harder. And this is what I've heard from others, too. Also heard of a lot of failed guitarists crossing over to bass.

Neither is harder then the other, they're completely different instruments. You can't really define one as more difficult, since bass and guitar are only as difficult as you make them.

TS, take lessons for whichever one you feel you need the lessons for the most. You can't go wrong either way, improving at guitar will make you a better bass player, and conversely, improving at bass will make you a better guitar player.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
Depending on what kind of teachers you have available to you, it might be more prudent to go with guitar. A lot of bass teachers at local music shops are just guitar teachers looking for an extra buck or two without much to offer anyone serious about bass.
I think you should do it the other way around. Find a real bass teacher that also teaches guitar. I've met three separate bass teacher who also give guitar lessons, and they are very well versed in both techniques, and theories. I think you'll get more out of it that way, than find a guitar teacher that also give "bass lessons."
Last edited by Skeletomania at Aug 25, 2010,