Hi guys,

I'm trying to adjust the intonation on my guitar and it doesn't seem to be changing, no matter how much I adjust the saddles. I have a Dean Vendetta XMT or something or other; it's got a strat-style bridge and what not.

Basically, I tune the string in (we'll say bottom E) and check the harmonic on the 12th fret. The harmonic comes out a little flat. I fret the 12th and the note is a little sharp. So I adjust the saddle and there is literally no change according to my tuner. I've gone from as close to the pickups as possible to as far from them as possible with no change whatsoever. This seems to be happening with all the strings.

Any advice?

Thanks.
are the strings fresh?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
compare the open string to the harmonic on the 12th fret. if it's flat, adjust towards the headstock, if it's sharp, adjust towards to bottom of the body.
MY GEAR:
PRS SE Custom 24
Jackson DKA7
Gibson Explorer
MESA/Boogie Express 5:25
BOSS GT-100

BOSS TU-2
Dunlop Cry Baby Classic
BOSS NS-2
VOX Joe Satriani Ice 9 OD Pedal
VOX Joe Satriani Time Machine Delay Pedal
Ernie Ball Strings
V Picks
Quote by Koshman32
compare the open string to the harmonic on the 12th fret. if it's flat, adjust towards the headstock, if it's sharp, adjust towards to bottom of the body.

Sorry, but this is not correct. The open string and the 12th fret harmonic will be the same note. What you want to compare is the open string/harmonic with the fretted note at the 12th. I actually did it the way you're suggesting once, and kept wondering why nothing changed. It finally dawned on me that the fretted note at the 12th was what I was looking for (as the tension increases as you go up the neck), to check for the intonation being off.
Quote by jj1565
are the strings fresh?

Relatively; they're a few weeks old but in pretty good condition.
Maybe your tuner is poo?? do it by ear.
Caparison Angelus HGS, EMG 85/85 18V | Krank Rev1, JJ's | Mesa Recto Cab | Maxon OD808
Quote by mpatton
Relatively; they're a few weeks old but in pretty good condition.

ok so, step 2, make sure you're doing it correctly;
with a good tuner,

you tune the open string.

then fret the 12th. (note difference)

then adjust saddle.

then tune the open string.

then fret 12th.

then adjust saddle.

then tune open string.

is that how you're doing it?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Yeah it is, and it's still not seeming to make much a difference. The only thing I can think of at this point is the "with a good tuner" you mentioned; my tuner isn't anything special. By any stretch.
well, sometimes a new set of strings makes all the difference.

sometimes a new battery in the tuner works wonders too.

especially if you can hear the difference in the string's tone, but the tuner isnt changing it's reading.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Problem is I'm not hearing any change in the tone. The fretted note sounds a bit sharp no matter where the saddle is.

I'll try new strings and get back in a few days.