So I recently bought an ibanez body in good shape for $30. Ive already got it sanded down and im in the process of painting it but need some pick up/neck help. This will mainly be a hard rock/ metal guitar so someone recommended EMG 81/85 or a set of seymour duncan blackouts. Is there a big difference between the two and whats the difference between active and passive pick ups? Also, im going to be needing a new neck. Id prefer a 24 fret and i really like the RG350M maple necks. Anyone know where i can get the pick ups or that neck (or any ibanez neck) in good shape cheap? Ive checked my local craigslist and ebay but most of the used stuff i found is only like $15 cheaper then new. My mind isnt set on any of the pickups or a specific neck so any suggestions will be helpful.
My Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Marshall AVT150H w/MG412A
-Cry baby Classic Wah
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282071

For the pickups ^

And for the neck, eBay and Craigslist are okay, There are some sellers on eBay who are more reliable than just a random person. You could check out Guitar Fetish or Warmoth, they might have something good.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Awesome thank you, do all ibanez necks fit on any ibanez or will i have to make adjustments to it? I believe it was formerly a 22 fret neck im trying to get a 24 fret
My Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Cry baby Classic Wah
Last edited by BulletWalker at Aug 25, 2010,
I don't know if a 24 fret will fit in a 22 fret position without some kind of modification. I may be wrong, so hopefully somebody else can tell you better.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
I found a good neck on ebay for a decent price i think..although it is a 24 fret i think it should fit.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280553421642&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT Ive included a picture of the guitar body for reference.. looks to me like the body had a square neck joint while this one seems slightly curved
Attachments:
3 Front 2 - Copy.JPG
My Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Cry baby Classic Wah
that neck isn't going to fit. You need something with a squarish) heel and it has to be 22 frets. If it's 24 frets then it has to be one of the "conversion" necks that has the last two frets of the fretboard hanging over the end of the neck. If you have a 24 fret neck with only 1 fret hanging over or it's flush with the end of the neck then your your guitar isn't going to play in tune.

As for your pickups, the EMG's are going to have less bass but the bass will be tighter and more defined which makes them clearer when you play with really high gain. The blackouts are going to have a bigger low end so when you play with slightly less gain they are going to have a darker tone but when you play with really high gain they won't sound as defined and the bass will seem mushy. They both work great for metal and it all depends on how much gain and low end you really want when it comes to choosing the best one for you.
Quote by CorduroyEW
that neck isn't going to fit. You need something with a squarish) heel and it has to be 22 frets. If it's 24 frets then it has to be one of the "conversion" necks that has the last two frets of the fretboard hanging over the end of the neck. If you have a 24 fret neck with only 1 fret hanging over or it's flush with the end of the neck then your your guitar isn't going to play in tune.

As for your pickups, the EMG's are going to have less bass but the bass will be tighter and more defined which makes them clearer when you play with really high gain. The blackouts are going to have a bigger low end so when you play with slightly less gain they are going to have a darker tone but when you play with really high gain they won't sound as defined and the bass will seem mushy. They both work great for metal and it all depends on how much gain and low end you really want when it comes to choosing the best one for you.

Thanks i appreciate all the info..think ill go with the EMG's..as for the neck i think ill stick to a 22 fret then..ive posted in the gear classifieds and another member offered me a RG470 neck..anyone know if it will fit? i think it might be a 24 fret but im not 100%
My Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Cry baby Classic Wah
Alright..what do you think of this one? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270626500830&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT its a 22 fret and its square so this looks like it would be a perfect fit. Fretwear looks alright to me..all id need is a new nut and i think a string tree? if thats what its called.
My Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Cry baby Classic Wah
true..but it looks exactly like the ones that come on it..and if it doesnt fit exactly i should be able to sand it a little or do some minor adjust ments so it fits. Think ill just grab that and one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-Black-Locking-Nut-String-Tree-Set-LN-0487-/300459829119?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item45f4cd277f. Ive emailed asking if it will fit a gio body but i doubt theyd know.
My Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Cry baby Classic Wah
I thought so too....but someone on an ibanez forum said that it doesnt have holes for a locking nut..idk i thought this neck with the locking nut i posted earlier would work great..any opinions on this jackson neck? http://cgi.ebay.com/Regular-Neck-JACKSON-Guitar-22-F-Maple-Sharkfins-/140445060535?pt=Guitar_Accessories. Or i think its slightly curved but i cant really tell.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190427371978&rvr_id=130421263477&crlp=1_263602_263622&UA=%3F*F%3F&GUID=76fabb5012a0a02652b34b93fff07d0a&itemid=190427371978&ff4=263602_263622
My Gear:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Cry baby Classic Wah
Last edited by BulletWalker at Aug 26, 2010,