i'm looking for a bedroom amp (small enough not to disturb to neighbors)that is versatile, but primarily for heavy metal rhythm and lead. i don't really have a preference for tube or solid state, just looking for the best bang for the buck.

budget: $500ish. (maybe a little more if you can convince me )
size: bedroom amp, absolutley no gigging.
genre: heavy metal, grunge, alternative.
blackstar ht-5
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
If you don't ever plan on gigging, then maybe a lower wattage amp like the Peavey Vypyr 30 may suit you. It is very versatile, but most importantly has a large range of Metal tones that you can get from it. I owned one for about 2 years and had a gerat time with it.

You could also look into the Peavey 6505+ 112 if you don't mind an amp that is less versatile and quite a bit louder, or the Blackstar HT5/ 20 which was also mentioned above, which can do kinda classic metal without a boost and a few rocky tones.
Last edited by Lr-Mtb at Aug 25, 2010,
you should try a tweaker if you can.

but are we only talking TV volumes or can you turn it up occasionally?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Bedroom volume varies, you need to be more specific.

Will you be using it with a large cabinet? Do you need to play at very quiet levels, i.e. normal talking levels?

Please don't get a Peavey 6505 for that. A Line 6 Flextone III or Vox Valvetronix would be far more practical at that stage. Or even a Fender Blues Junior and a really nice distortion pedal like the OKKO Dominator or Tone Freaks Severe.
Vypyr 30, Can go a lot louder than you need now, if circumstances change.
Roland Cube 20x, Lower powered Modeling amp. Well made.
Roland Micro Cube, Ideal bedroom amp that can also run on batteries
Fender Vibro Champ, Valve amp with lovely clean tones but may need pedals for metal.
Vox AC4TV combo, Valve amp with 4w, 1w & 1/4w settings. Would require a pedal or two
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I second the Tweaker and HT-5 suggestions.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Tweaker. Vypyr sounds fake.
Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster, Blackstar HT-5RS, Roland Micro Cube, Alvarez Regent Acoustic
Wishlist:
Carvin V3M
Agile AL-3100 Silverburst
Get the Ht-5 half stack xD
- THIS IS MY SIG -
BEHOLD ITS AWESOMENESS
I liked my Valveking 112 for a practice amp. Good amp for the money, especially if you replace the stock speaker. You could get pretty good sounds out of it, but it was a little to dark for me. I did like it though.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Vypyr. A tube one preferbly. I love my 75 watt.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by the1967mustang
I liked my Valveking 112 for a practice amp. Good amp for the money, especially if you replace the stock speaker. You could get pretty good sounds out of it, but it was a little to dark for me. I did like it though.

While a VK CAN be played at low volumes, I would not recommend it as a bedroom-practice-only amp, nor would I recommend it to anyone not interested in modifying it.

I say Peavey Vypyr 15.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
many of these suggestions are good, but i wanted to note that a 6505 can be bedroom level with a good attenuator.
Guitars
Amps
Doooooon't get an attenuator.

You don't need one, you can just get a lower wattage amp for less.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by drewfromutah
Any amp can be played in your bedroom. That's why they have volume knobs! Anyway, consider a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo. It will be perfect for you.

I saw this thread, and came in wanting to say exactly this, to find that you said it in the first post.

As for your avatar... pure win.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I saw this thread, and came in wanting to say exactly this, to find that you said it in the first post.

As for your avatar... pure win.

getting an amp with excessive power and volume is just a waste of money. he could get a much nicer amp for the same price that is suited for what he needs. saying he should get a 6505 for bedroom use because it has a volume knob and can go down to bedroom level is about the dumbest thing i've ever heard.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by funkbass369
getting an amp with excessive power and volume is just a waste of money. he could get a much nicer amp for the same price that is suited for what he needs. saying he should get a 6505 for bedroom use because it has a volume knob and can go down to bedroom level is about the dumbest thing i've ever heard.

What would be a better amp? It's not like they make 6505's in small wattages. Most small amps aren't very geared toward or good at metal. It would be better to get an amp that is good for metal and turn it down, since you then also have the option to turn it up if you want.

Most of the distortion from that amp is in the preamp anyway, so low volume isn't some horrible thing. It's not some low gain amp that can only do metal when cranked all the way up.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
What would be a better amp? It's not like they make 6505's in small wattages. Most small amps aren't very geared toward or good at metal. It would be better to get an amp that is good for metal and turn it down, since you then also have the option to turn it up if you want.

Most of the distortion from that amp is in the preamp anyway, so low volume isn't some horrible thing. It's not some low gain amp that can only do metal when cranked all the way up.

there's plenty of small amps that work for metal. examples include the vypyr 30, the randall rg series, the blackstar ht-5. and any other small amps listed in this thread. a 6505 is overkill.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by tknick90
i'm looking for a bedroom amp (small enough not to disturb to neighbors)that is versatile, but primarily for heavy metal rhythm and lead. i don't really have a preference for tube or solid state, just looking for the best bang for the buck.

budget: $500ish. (maybe a little more if you can convince me )
size: bedroom amp, absolutley no gigging.
genre: heavy metal, grunge, alternative.

dude, seriously go play a Vypyr 60. It will do all of that AND more.

$450 not including the Sampera II pedal that you will also want to consider. Look used.

oh, and it has a headphone jack (but I've never tried it)

http://www.peavey.com/products/Vypyr/index.cfm

+1 Raijouta, I had Valveking and I wouldn't consider it a dorm room friendly amp.
-1 Matt - quit talking about attenuators already

HT5 has a headphone out too. Not a bad amp imo at the price range.

PS. Great OP TS!
Quote by Offworld92

The Peavey 6505 sounds like a fizzy mess at low volumes, that's why. I would never use even the American version at anything lower than 9 o'clock on the master volume, and that's too loud for a bedroom.

And an attenuator may be a decent idea, but not to achieve poweramp overdrive, just to achieve a bit of roundess and tightness to the notes. Really, though, attenuators aren't designed for amps like the 6505. They're designed for amps with no master volume, and those that require poweramp distortion.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
The Peavey 6505 sounds like a fizzy mess at low volumes, that's why. I would never use even the American version at anything lower than 9 o'clock on the master volume, and that's too loud for a bedroom.

And an attenuator may be a decent idea, but not to achieve poweramp overdrive, just to achieve a bit of roundess and tightness to the notes. Really, though, attenuators aren't designed for amps like the 6505. They're designed for amps with no master volume, and those that require poweramp distortion.

Wouldn't it be possible to turn the amp up, but then use an EQ or a volume pedal to bring the level down?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Wouldn't it be possible to turn the amp up, but then use an EQ or a volume pedal to bring the level down?
A volume pedal acts as a master volume. Doing what you suggested cancels each action out.

Some people have used volume pedals in the loop of an amp to positive effects - particularly with Splawn amplifiers - but a volume, or another pedal for that matter, does not allow for a cranked sound at low volumes.

Volume is relative. Look up The Fletcher Munson Effect and read it over. It basically explains that, no matter how hard you push a valve amplifier, if you manage to turn everything down to calm talking volumes, it will lose it's grandness. It'll still sound like a whispering fart in the wind.

Turn down the volume on your speakers. What happens? The sound doesn't just go quieter, it loses it's character and frequency attention. All the harmonics disappear because your ear is not sensitive enough to pick them up.

Regarding the amplifier again, the Peavey 6505 finds its distortion from the preamp section, which does not require loud volumes. But the amp in general is a fizzy mess of gain. Unless you drive it hard and stiffen up the powervalves, I find it to be flubby and slushy.

That harks back to the point regarding Mr. Fletcher Munson. It's not necessarily only because the amp is driving its power tubes hard. It is also because of the aforementioned effect that the amp sounds better - because more harmonics are coming through, and because the amp appears and stiffer, more repsonsive and generally more powerful.
Quote by Matt15f
many of these suggestions are good, but i wanted to note that a 6505 can be bedroom level with a good attenuator.
Ludicrous, huge waste of money.

Anyway, if you don't plan on gigging/jamming just yet, get this instead of an amp, with a good headphone/speakers:

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/ik-multimedia-amplitube-3-pedal--71679