So I'm going to be selling my guitar gear soon and I have to pick out a bass amp I'm going to get and i came down to two amps. The two amps are the same price $250 and I'm looking for the amp to be loud enough to be heard over drums and to do gigs with. The Acoustic is higher in watts but the Orange as a line out that I could hook up to a PA when doing gigs. But I don't know if 50 would be loud enough to practice with a band without a PA. Also I looked at the Orange and there is a port on the amp that says speaker. Would that be for a Cab input ?
Last edited by Radtastic89 at Aug 25, 2010,
Assuming everything else is equal, the Acoustic will be three decibels louder than the Orange - not a whole lot of difference. Which one do you think sounds better? That should be your benchmark. They are very similar amplifiers otherwise.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Quote by FatalGear41
Assuming everything else is equal, the Acoustic will be three decibels louder than the Orange - not a whole lot of difference. Which one do you think sounds better? That should be your benchmark. They are very similar amplifiers otherwise.

Well 3 decibels can be a lot. 3 db louder and you get the doubled sound intensity, 1.4 times more sound pressure and about 1.5 times more loudness..

But else FatalGear is pretty right. You should take the amp that sounds better to you. For practicing with your band, both should be loud enough.
But with both you get in trouble at larger gigs..
Well, the Acoustic has an Effect Send jack which functions as a line out to a mixing board or PA. Also has a speaker out jack for adding an additional cabinet, so that removes some of the negative from the Acoustic.

Personally, I think 100 watts is minimum, even for small venues. For home recording and practice the Orange would be just fine, but I think it's a tad small for gigging.

-Dawg
Well I cant hear how the Orange amp sounds like because its not at my local Guitar Center and Youtube doesn't have any videos of it. But Im sure the Orange sounds good well because its Orange. So basicly they just are the same but the Acoustic will be alittle bit louder.
Quote by glennick

ive found the fender bassman 100 and a kustom 100w at musiciansfriend.com for 250...just throwing those out there.

In my opinion, a single 10'' Speaker as this fender has is too small for bass.. i never get the depth i want with less than 12''. This other one seems to be alright. It's mostly a matter of taste.
you should try to save 100$ more and get an acoustic b200, but if you cant do that i'd go for the b100
I don't own an Acoustic B100, but I tried one in a guitar center once when I was looking into a new amp. In my opinion, the sound quality sucked. Obviously, not everyone thinks that, and there is a good chance I am wrong.
Look at Ampegs.
Amazing sound quality.
Quote by phlip999
Armstrong to moon bass.
Sorry.

Quote by 0RI0N
I just glanced and thought his name was tampon.

I know Ampeg's sound good Iv played a few basses through them. I mean I could buy the B200 but I want to buy my Bass and Amp at the same time. I might just sell my gear for $500 and buy a Orange 100 watt. It has a 15'' speaker for $469.
Last edited by Radtastic89 at Aug 25, 2010,
so are the ampeg 50w or 100w good or not?...in the reviews people seem to either strongly dislike them or just love them. anyone play through one live?
Ampeg at this level is a no no. The acoustic is a great choice as well as the kustom, which tends to me much louder than other same wattage amps.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
The Acoustic are very transparent in their sound and decent for a good economic setup. The Orange has more of a distinct tone, but not as distinct as say an Ampeg is.

The Ampegs at this price point are not great. The original B3 series was a bit closer in sound and quality to their larger brothers than the current crop are. In the lower end, the Ampeg sound is a bit underwhelming and the sound is a bit underpowered.

The Orange amp is solid but its not going to break through a loud guitarist or drummer.

I agree with c3powil in that you should look at the Kustoms. I really prefer them over the Acoustic lines. They are solid as tanks and loud as thunder, with some great options and a great sound. My little KBA10 could easily rattle the windows at only 10w
What if I buy a Bass Booster pedal would that make the Orange any louder ? I'm really leaning towards the Orange but I know it wouldnt be heard over the drums if the drummer is a loud drummer.
Quote by Radtastic89
What if I buy a Bass Booster pedal would that make the Orange any louder ? I'm really leaning towards the Orange but I know it wouldnt be heard over the drums if the drummer is a loud drummer.

A bass booster pedal isnt going to make you any louder. Just more bassy.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by Centahne
I have the Acoustic B100 and its the best amp you'll ever ****ing buy.

Unless he, you know, buys a better amp.

The Orange would assumably have a better sound quality, and Orange amps look like sex, so I would get the Orange, but that's just my opinion.

Ibanez K5
Warwick Rockbass Vampyre 4

Line 6 Bass Pod XT Live
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
The Orange looks great and I bet sounds a lot better its just the wattage I'm afraid I wont be heard at practice.