Hey folks I just got one of those squire sp-10 beginner practice amps from a friend. So for a bit of a laugh I poked around in it to see If I could make the O.D. channel sound a little better (even though it's actually more of a diode clipping distortion channel). I ended up finding two diodes that when remove really smooth out and remove some of the harsh/crappyness from the distortion. I actually quite liked the clean channel so I left that be. Now that said, I made a little video demonstrating the amp and the mods. A 'review' if you will. Mod starts at 6:30. Ignore the meh playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZei2W49Hos
Last edited by LeviMan_2001 at Aug 25, 2010,
seems interesting. I was thinking about modding my little craptastic Epiphone starter amp, but I gave it to my brother

You move your hands a lot while talking...

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
just fyi, those things sound pretty damn good through a good speaker.

people always want to mod their amps to sound better, but they never think abut the ONE thing that CREATES the sound.

i played a sidekick (i think they renamed it to sp-10) through a couple of Kenwood speaker cabs from an old stereo system and it was awesome.
Yeah, I actually quite like the speaker on the clean setting. It has a really nice tight little sound (unless you crank it till it overdrives). It's great for jazz. But I've never really played with closed back amps and the difference is impressive. I think I might convert my Piggy to closed back, or maybe hook up some form of cab to it.
converting an open-back to closed-back requires a new speaker designed for closed cabs.

the short version is that open-cab speakers have stiffer cones iirc. i always get it mixed up. anyway there are alot of other differences but im no expert.
Quote by Invader Jim
converting an open-back to closed-back requires a new speaker designed for closed cabs.

the short version is that open-cab speakers have stiffer cones iirc. i always get it mixed up. anyway there are alot of other differences but im no expert.

Oh really? that is interesting. Makes sense though. I could just plug into the speaker in my bass amp (fender 300bxr or whatever they call it) and see how that sounds. It's a nice large 15 incher too.