I got a secondhand Marshall DSL401 about 6 months ago, it sounded great, but accidently overnight I left it on standby and now it doesn't work properly, is it because the tubes are screwed, or do you guys reckon it's something else? I was playing the amp a day after leaving it on, and it was playing a lot quieter then while I was playing, the volume dropped even more, even on full blast it's quieter than those tiny Marshall practice amps you strap on your belt. Also, can you suggest a good website in the UK to get tubes from, becasue they seem very expensive. Btw, there's no need to tell me I'm an idiot for leaving a tube amp on, I already know lol
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
That seems like a power tube problem. Did the previous owner say anything about re-tubing it?
No, he gave me no info, would I just have to replace the power tubes? Or the pre amps too? Btw, I don't know much about tube amps.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Not sure about your pres but my amp did the same thing when the power tubes shit the bed (got really quiet and then stopped working at all.). If your gonna replace the power amp tubes you might as well have the pre amp tubes replaced as well, however you should have an amp tech do it so they can properly bias it.
Last edited by bobweir92 at Aug 25, 2010,
That's another thing I forgot to ask about, biasing. What is it? Do I need to have it done? And how much is it roughly?
Biasing is where the plate voltage is adjusted to set the breakup of your tubes. If the plate voltage is too hot it will burn your tubes up very fast, too cold and it will cause early breakup that sounds bad. Not sure as the cost because I biased my own amp. (sounds ok but I need to take it to a tech.) go into your local music shop and ask them if they do tube replacement/biasing or if they know a place that does.
Last edited by bobweir92 at Aug 25, 2010,