So i've got an old Monterey Les Paul copy that's been lying around gathering dust for a few years now and i've finally been motivated to get off my ass and make use of it. I'll be stripping it back completely and rebuilding it from the ground up. I have already decided on a colour scheme and this being my first build I was keen to get into it. I'll be updating this thread as I progress with it

Original Pics:

Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Aug 25, 2010,
After a couple of hours of sanding

Note the beautiful Plywood cap

Now I actually quite like the grain on the back and sides of the body and on the neck, so i've decided that I am going to paint the cap Green, and leave the back, sides and neck including headstock natural.

After painting i'm going to get some gold hardware and finish it off with a set of pups. That's the one thing I haven't decided on yet. I want a decent set of pups, but don't want to spend too much and Duncans, DiMarzio's etc are frankly going to be wasted on this guitar. Any suggestions for some decent pups preferrably under $200 AUD and maybe PAF style?

Thanks for looking!
do you use a machine to sand it? or do you use hand... because i wouldn't even think about sanding that much with hand.

and you got so much dust/wood on ur pots. it's probably inside... so you gotta install new ones.

i'd say color the headstock with the same color as the body's top, or something not so light in color...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Oh yeah all the hardware and electronics have been ripped out and are being replaced I was just lazy

Yeah I have a detail sander and desk sander I used
So over the weekend I did the primer and around about 10 coats of Tropicana Green. I must have applied close to 30 clear coats and it's looking pretty good. After a few weeks i'll buff and polish it up and it should be great

looks like it could do with a bit of wetsanding/ polishing.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Yeah definitely like I said i'm going to give it a few weeks and buff it but some wet sanding is next and some more coats of lacquer

I forgot to mention I have glued and set the neck in the body now as well so it should play better too
The guitar is looking good. I agree with you though, the grain on the sides and back look great, but the top didn't. Good thing you painted the top! If I was you, I would go a head and try and find some used Seymour Duncan's or Dimarzio's, because you could always reuse them on a different guitar later. Also, you should put some Grover tuners on it.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Thanks guys. I admit it could have turned out better but this is just a practise job and my first ever attempt. I will be putting all the hardware from my Epiphone LP Custom including my EMGs and Grover tuners
Good job on this so far, look forward to seeing it built up!

A single black stain on the back and sides would've been really nice to bring out the grain too.
Looks great so far, can't wait to see the rest of the build!
Call me Andrew. It's my name.

Quote by theogonia777
i fond God too, man! i sat next to him on the bus once. he told be the meaning of life and then gave me a pretzel. i can't remember what the meaning of live was, but it was a good pretzel, man!
Quote by AxSilentxLine
Yeah definitely like I said i'm going to give it a few weeks and buff it but some wet sanding is next and some more coats of lacquer

I forgot to mention I have glued and set the neck in the body now as well so it should play better too

..You glued in a bolt on neck? If that holds up to the tension of the strings I'll be incredibly surprised.
Quote by dandadog
..You glued in a bolt on neck? If that holds up to the tension of the strings I'll be incredibly surprised.

Glued then rebotled, and I didn't use your run of the mill general store glue, it's furniture grade woodworking glue from a hardware store