Hi guys,

i got my results yday (in the UK that is) and im looking at getting a new desktop...

I dont want to build my own, simply because i havent got the time, and i jus cant be bothered lol...

Anyways, what kinda of spec woud i be needing to run amp software like Amplitube/Guitar Rig, with little latency?

Oh and also, what kind of spec would i need to run decent games (GTA 4, Crysis etc...)

My budget is £750, and used is outta the question

cheers in advance, and sorry if i posted this in the wrong section

Building your own isnt hard at all, seriously if you build it yourself you will get a PC thats at least twice as good as if you bought one pre-built for the same amount of money.

Anyway, you'll want a decent graphics card and processor to run games like Crysis. I'd suggest one of the ATI Radeon HDs, I have a 4870 and I can run Crysis on max without problems.

Processor-wise I'd suggest either a Dual Core with a high GHz rate (3 GHz or more) or a Quad Core. In some cases the Dual Core actually performs faster than a quad due to the way most software is currently processed and allocated to cores, but either should do fine.

In order to run Amplitube/Guitar Rig to satisfactory levels you'll want a decent soundcard. Do NOT go for the Creative crap, its ok for games and movies, but not for recording or sound processing. Try M-Audio, they have some decent stuff.

Seriously though, a self-build PC for £750 would cost twice that if you were to buy it pre-built. If you want an epic PC, build it yourself; its easy and rewarding. I built my first when I was 14, so you should have no trouble
Quote by testekleez
http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/desktops/alienware-aurora/pd.aspx?refid=alienware-aurora&s=dhs&cs=19&~ck=mn

Just get one of these and shell out another 75 for the premium sound card.

Note those are the starting prices, for just the bare bones. In order to get anything decent, you need to upgrade it, which essentially requires up to twice the starting price costs.
I agree with mishax92
you dont even have to build it really
you can just select the components you want and tell your local computer store to build it.
probably go for a quad core processor of 3ghz... maybe an amd phenom 955. go for a 1tb harddrive and all that jazz...
will cost you a lot less and it will be a lot more reliable.
Quote by mishax92
Note those are the starting prices, for just the bare bones. In order to get anything decent, you need to upgrade it, which essentially requires up to twice the starting price costs.

Bare bones is still a solid machine. You can always upgrade as you go.
Quote by testekleez
Bare bones is still a solid machine. You can always upgrade as you go.

While that may be so, even the cheapest version of that is above the TS's budget. Of course everyone upgrades all the time as they go, you're gonna have to regardless, but why not build it yourself for cheaper? Alienware are such a rip off too, people just get drawn it cause it looks all fancy and sounds cool, but I bet I could build a PC with better spec for half the cost of one.
Last edited by mishax92 at Aug 25, 2010,
Dont build a PC around trying to play a game that wasn't programmed to use resources correctly(crysis). This is my rig and I cant even get past the aircraft carrier part without lagging out.

ASUS P5Q
IC2D E8400@ 4.02GHz
Silent Knight 2
Radeon HD 4870
Mushkin RedLine 4Gigz 890MHz (5 5 5 12)
Ultra X2 750watt PS

Your setup looks fine to me, but do understand that the 5770 will not out preform the 4870 stock(not that its an issue their close), but if you OC it...it will . I only bring it up because people thing the bigger number means better performance. People also think the specs of a card will tell you how good it is.....one word...benchmarks.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by teamhex
Dont build a PC around trying to play a game that wasn't programmed to use resources correctly. This is my rig and I cant even get past the aircraft carrier part without lagging out.

ASUS P5Q
IC2D E8400@ 4.02GHz
Silent Knight 2
Radeon HD 4870
Mushkin RedLine 4Gigz 890MHz (5 5 5 12)
Ultra X2 750watt PS

Your setup looks fine to me, but do understand that the 5770 will not out preform the 4870 stock(not that its an issue their close), but if you OC it...it will

Yea i understand what your saying, i've read briefly on OC, but i think ill pass!, im not an extreme gamer, i just wna be able to run stuff like GTA's and maybe COD or whatnot at a decent setting....
Quote by bassman434
Yea i understand what your saying, i've read briefly on OC, but i think ill pass!, im not an extreme gamer, i just wna be able to run stuff like GTA's and maybe COD or whatnot at a decent setting....

Yeah even a 9800gtx would do the trick for that, but that 5770 looks more then enough.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
I'd say your build looks pretty decent, although I would really suggest going for a better power supply. By better, I dont mean more Watts, I mean brand wise. Novatech aren't bad, but to save you hassle in the future I'd really recommend getting a Corsair or an Antec. They'll last much longer, handle power better in general, adjust to match the current power requirements, keep the heat lower, etc.
You could build one like mine...

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1322707

I now have a GTX 280 operating in dedicated PhysX mode, and a GTX 295 processing the graphics.
Woah...where am I...?

*checks web address*

I knew I wasn't crazy...this is still a guitar forum right?
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Quote by darkwolf291
Well since he's gonna use it with his guitar, it's technically guitar gear...right?

....not really....
Quote by rmr024
Well, in California, people carry around devices that control the minds of bears. So expect to see people walking their bears.

Also, don't be surprised if some robot hookers try to solicit sex to you on the streets.
Just remember that the pre-built computers these days use low bid parts. That is the construction is made to maximize profits in a razor thin margin business. Build your own it's the only way to make sure you get a quality computer with the best components you can afford. Unless of course your an Apple fanboi then you don't have much choice beyond options that Apple makes available. (hehe even apple uses low bid parts.)

Since the generic PC came along in the late 80's (yeah I'm old so what just stay off my lawn) I haven't bought a complete desktop computer off the shelf. Yes I have bought a laptop but it's really almost next to impossible to get parts to build one for yourself. I always build my own Desktop computers.

Searching for info on various computer parts online for a build about 1 hour. Ordering them up via Newegg about 15 minutes. Construction about 1 hour and I take my time making sure everything is right. 1.5 hours for a newbie. Op system install 1/2 hour. If your so busy that you cannot devote 2 and half to 3 hours to a computer your going to be using for the next 3 plus years then you'll get what you pay for LOW BID PARTS.

*part means: Case, power supply, motherboard, processor, memory, hard drive, graphics card, sound card, dvd writer etc.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Aug 25, 2010,
If you want a laptop, I just bought a Toshiba Satellite with an Intel i7 and 4GB DDR3. It has more than enough power to process signals at max quality, produce multiple tracks in REAPER, and run things in the background. I've used Line 6 Tone Port and Guitarport for my processing but I plan on moving up to Amplitube and something higher end.

HOWEVER, that said. I strongly suggest building one as mentioned. With a desktop, you can build things cheaper, it will run cooler, and be expandable for future trends. Another nice thing is most non Apple notebooks don't ship with Firewire ports, which is something you'll really want for higher end interfaces and can be easily added to a desktop. If you build your own desktop you should be able to get one that supports USB3.0 as well.

In terms of processors, I don't feel the Intel processors short of the i7 series are a very good value when compared to similarly priced AMD Phenom quad cores and the cheaper Athlon II X2 (an oldy but a goody imo). You'll probably need to buy a high end processor to get a motherboard that supports USB3.0 and Firewire anyway. Sparkey also is generally on it when it comes to lower end PCs.

IF you have to get one prebuilt, check out Digital Storm and Falcon Northwest. They build their stuff in the US of parts for you custom of what you spec, test their product, and fully back it up. I know several people who have bought Desktops from them and had nothing but good experiences.

EDIT: I don't know if they serve international customers though.
Quote by CJRocker
Another nice thing is most non Apple notebooks don't ship with Firewire ports,

Hmmph my 2004 Dell laptop would like a word with you through it's firewire port.
Last edited by sparkeyjames at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by Fat-bastard0603

Holy crap, that's actually a great idea.
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
The grandmother is having a baby with her grandson, so the grandson will be his own fathers father, the baby will be his own grandfather, and grandson, and the grandmother will be the mother, and great grandmother?

Quote by TheBurningFish
ಠ_ಠ
Quote by SLonergan
Woah...where am I...?

*checks web address*

I knew I wasn't crazy...this is still a guitar forum right?

No, this is The Pit. For everything off-topic.
edgy meems only friendo :^)
Cheers guy's for the help

should be building it in the coming months, have to get sum money first

i will probably start a thread, when building

so thanks again
I reckon you should build your own. It's pretty easy, will only take 30 mins tops to put together.

I built mine a couple of months ago, and it costed way less than getting it pre-assembled, and I also got exactly what I wanted.

EDIT: I see you already are... I should've read the whole thread
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by mishax92
Building your own isnt hard at all, seriously if you build it yourself you will get a PC thats at least twice as good as if you bought one pre-built for the same amount of money.

This man speaks the truth. Honestly, building one will take you maybe an hour maximum.
RIP Tom Searle.
Quote by EnyoAdonai
I reckon you should build your own. It's pretty easy, will only take 30 mins tops to put together.

I built mine a couple of months ago, and it costed way less than getting it pre-assembled, and I also got exactly what I wanted.

EDIT: I see you already are... I should've read the whole thread

yea

i've built a computer before, but that was a few years back, and seeing as it is a hell of a lot cheaper than getting a pre-built machine, I will probably end up doing it