hi,
Someone has offered a trade with his mesa boogie F100 combo + case vs my marshall jcm2000 DSL100 head.
I was really interested, but I've always heard that the F100 is one of the worst mesas.
I've only had a dual rec blackface and I've also heard it's a completely other sound than the F100.
So: How does the F100 compare to other mesas?
Do you think it's a sollid deal?
What are the main differences with my DSL100?
Cheers
Couldn't hurt to try it out.

Definitely a solid deal, both amps are worth around the same amount of cash.

The F100 is certainly not the best Mesa, but it's not their worst amp either (that title would go to the Express IMO)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Ive heard the F series are pretty nice.

They were like "budget-ish" mesas when they were released.

More of a american voiced classic rock/old school metal kind of amp rather than what mesa usually do. Great cleans, good crunch, and the contour channel provides enough gain for like maiden/metallica kind of territory.

This is just what ive read up on it, i was going to get one myself when i was on the amp hunt a while ago.

Ive not tried the DSL100 either, but from word of mouth, the F series is favourable over the DSL100.
Quote by beckyjc

More of a american voiced classic rock/old school metal kind of amp rather than what mesa usually do. Great cleans, good crunch, and the contour channel provides enough gain for like maiden/metallica kind of territory.

This is just what ive read up on it, i was going to get one myself when i was on the amp hunt a while ago.

Ive not tried the DSL100 either, but from word of mouth, the F series is favourable over the DSL100.

Well, my main problem with the DSL is that I have to turn it up to about 4-5 (which is insanly loud) to get the sound I want. I hope I won't have the same problem with the mesa. I've read you can switch it to 60watt but that won't really make that much of a difference except for more clean headroom, right?
You more than likely will have the same problem with the mesa.

Apparently the volume controls are really twitchy and sensitive, its a common mod to get the pots replaced for proper audio taper pots.

Switching it to 60 watt would give you less headroom, probably not much of a noticable volume difference.
Quote by beckyjc

Yeah, I have one of the F-30 1x12 combos. Very nice cleans and excellent at handling mid to mid-high gain stuff. Low gain is very nice as well if you're also good at messing with your guitar's volume knob. I pretty much never use the contour channel other than for lulz (maybe if I hooked it through a 4x12). Even with my tubescreamer it's not really the greatest for djent or br00tz. I love my lead tones though

F series won't sound anything like a Rec though. Completely different voicing. The cleans are much livelier, though, I find.
Quote by Avedas
Yeah, I have one of the F-30 1x12 combos. Very nice cleans and excellent at handling mid to mid-high gain stuff. Low gain is very nice as well if you're also good at messing with your guitar's volume knob. I pretty much never use the contour channel other than for lulz (maybe if I hooked it through a 4x12). Even with my tubescreamer it's not really the greatest for djent or br00tz. I love my lead tones though

F series won't sound anything like a Rec though. Completely different voicing. The cleans are much livelier, though, I find.

The reason yours doesn't do metal as well is because yours doesnt have the 6L6 power section like the 50 and 100, which are both tighter and have more gain.

I dunno who told you the F Series is the worst Mesa made. If you wouldve said Express I'd agree, but the F is pretty awesome and trumps your DSL. The F series are like a cross breed between a Mark and a Recto. Their predecessor was the DC series, which is definitely a Mark based amp, the F adds a little more of the Recto tone, but is still more Mark like.

Value wise, you're getting a much better trade than he is.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com