Page 1 of 3
Note: Started this topic around half way through the actual build, yes there r pics (HUGE ONES)!

Status: Basically done with the wood work. Still gotta do the finish so keep ya heads up!

Page 4 has the completed build (minus the finish) and also a short sound test video

So I'm doing this for a school project where the students are allowed to do whatever project they want (well almost any). So I decided to do how to create a neck thru guitar. Sadly I'm just a beginner and have a limited amount of time so I started off the project with a StewMac Neck Thru as the neck.

Specifications (up to date):

- King V body (not exactly the same but yea... based off it)
- 1 piece maple neck
- Original 6 in line headstock (even though it turned out like an ESP)
- 11 degree headstock
- Graphite Nut
- 25" scale
- 2 way truss rod
- Ebony Fretboard
- 24 frets
- Roman Numeral Inlays (decal sticker)
- Medium frets (i think)
- Alder body
- Schaller Hannes Bridge (gold)
- Black volume knob
- Jackson tuners (from my RR24)
- Pickups not yet determined (most likely an 81, not sure if gna do 1 or 2 pu)
- Finish undetermined (have a bottle of green stain lying around tho)

Photobucket link to all albums: http://s757.photobucket.com/home/13PJC/allalbums

You'll be able to find a few plans/ templates in there. I'll be posting links for the first few entries because I used a DSL camera and the picture is HUGE. Now I'm using the iphone so it'll actually fit in the thread.

Will put each entry in 1 post
Last edited by MeLodicDethMTL at Oct 31, 2010,
Build Entry No1 July 29th 2010

Picture Links: http://s757.photobucket.com/albums/xx212/13PJC/PP%20Build%20Entry%20No1%20July%2029th%202010/

Random Pic:

Pictures are huge so not gonna put them up. Also I'll make it a reflection like thing as it is required for my project.

So in this entry it is basically the overview of the first batch of materials to arrive. It includes the StewMac neck, wood glue, green liquid stain, and strap pins. There is also a Jackson J50BC and J90C which is lying around that I "might" use. I also made a full side template and printed it out to check the size. Turns out that the KV shape was smaller than I expected. The wings are like 1 inch shorter than my RR24 (long wing obviously :P). The neck is quite well crafted and the neck profile is roughly a C shape. I think I'll end up sanding it down a bit into a U shape just to not make it boring. Would have liked a no inlay fretboard but guess dots will have to do.
Last edited by MeLodicDethMTL at Aug 25, 2010,
Build Entry No2 August 2nd 2010

Link: http://s757.photobucket.com/albums/xx212/13PJC/PP%20Build%20Entry%20No2%20August%202nd%202010/

Random Pic:

So the body blanks finally arrived. Ordered 2 blanks just in case the body was big. Put the template on the blank and it turns out it is almost exactly the same size... Hopefully it would work out if I tilt the wings a bit. Decided to just use 1 blank because the 2 wings fit in 1 blank. Also cutout the template and put it on the neck to see what it would be like. Next thing to do was the headstock shape. Printed out a Jackson headstock and ESP headstock to see if it would work. Both designs go out of the paddle headstock so I thought designing my own would be easier as I don't really want to cut and paste the extra space for extension. Finally settled on my own design (based off the ESP) which doesn't require any extension. When I checked the neck thickness with the blank it seems pretty much the same so it should be fine. The color between the body and neck is a bit different but it should work.
Build Entry No3 August 6th 2010

Link: http://s757.photobucket.com/albums/xx212/13PJC/PP%20Build%20Entry%20No3%20August%206th%202010/

Random Pic:

So the inlay decals arrived in the morning, but never got around to putting it on till night time. Ordered a Roman Numeral and Iommi Cross set. Originally planned to have the Roman Numeral on the 12th fret only and the rest as the cross but then I didn't know the cross doesn't cover the dots... Had to end up putting the whole RN set instead... Still looks fine and the decals worked out pretty well. Also noticed a mistake in the inlays... the person who made it labeled 19th and 21th and the rest backwards Since they gave me 2 extra inlays for each set I put one of the cross on the truss rod cover plate :P
Build Entry No4 August 10th 2010

Well theres only one image anyways :P

Basically the bridge finally arrived after almost a month... Looks pretty cool but sadly no instructions on installing at all. Took me an hour to look up for the instructions and finally understand how to install it. Sadly there is no router at school so I'll let one of the music stores install it (actually all of my hardware!).
Build Entry No5 August 16th

Link: http://s757.photobucket.com/albums/xx212/13PJC/PP%20Build%20Entry%20No5%20August%2016th%202010/

Random Pic:

So basically this entry includes the last batch of materials ordered. Waterbase "brush on" gloss finish, sanding sealer, pickup ring + all screws and springs, tuner drill jigs (as template), cavity cover plate, ferrules, battery box, and wood grain filler. After reading the instruction on the gloss thing it turned out it could be used as a sanding sealer when u thin it down with water... there goes 20 bucks... The sanding sealer was spray anyways so it was useless. I'm not going to use a spray for my finish as I don't own a spray and I don't think I'll bother with it (go good old fashion paint! or if i find a spray paint can thing). Not even sure if I'll be needing the wood filler at all as I'm using alder and don't think it really needs it.
Build Entry No6 August 14th~16th

Link: http://s757.photobucket.com/albums/xx212/13PJC/PP%20Build%20Entry%20No6%20August%2014-16th%202010/

Random Pic:

So this is an overlap cuz i didn't bring a camera that day... So I finally got into the DT workshop and did something. So instead of tilting the wings on the wood to make the template fit I decided to rearrange the wood (thanks to mintsauces start thread otherwise I would probably have not done it). It was a 3 piece wood so I just cut it then moved down the ones on the side. Left the glue to dry and 2 days later got back into the workshop. Cut the blank into 2 and then stuck it to the body. Luckily I drew the template on the neck part to use as an reference point. Also managed to drill the holes for the tuners but it was too small. Needed 1/4" drill heads but all the ones around there was in mm so decided to leave it for later.
Build Entry No7 August 24th 2010

Link: http://s757.photobucket.com/albums/xx212/13PJC/PP%20Build%20Entry%20No7%20August%2024th%202010/

Drawn out the template

Bottom part done!

Left wing done!

DONE!

Headstock DONE! scared me while the neck was shaking...

Random block of wood from bottom :P tuners on the bottom didn't fit...

Finally got back to the workshop and got to cutting out the body! Had to let the DT staff do this as students aren't allowed to use the jig saw (band saw, and all the other huge equipments). The process took longer than I expected but it did end up quite well. Was a bit worried on the template as I drew it on the body blank with a wood template which made the size bigger. The wings aren't 100% symmetrical but it should do. The body ended up more like a stretched out KV but it's still awesome :P It was a bit hard to do the curves near the cutaway but managed to get a rough cut with the jig saw. Near the end i also managed to get the headstock shape cutout. Scared me a bit because the neck was shaking while cutting it with the jig saw but all turned out well Didn't do a cut on the tip like what I originally drew for the headstock but I'll leave that for later
Build Entry No8 August 25th 2010

Link: http://s757.photobucket.com/albums/xx212/13PJC/PP%20Build%20Entry%20No8%20August%2025th%202010/

Sanding the side

Sanded the back!

Smooooooth! not perfect but still good

Heel yet to be sanded (making it like a normal Jackson V)

Imperfection... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo

So the next day it was time to sand! Used a portable belt sander like thing (no idea what its called) to sand it. Started off sanding the sides of the wings straight as the cut wasn't exactly straight. While cutting on the right wing the saw got a bit slanted so now there is an slight cut. Well its too late to fix now, better than the neck snapping off while cutting out the headstock shape When the body was glued to the neck it turned out that the wood thickness was different! Was quite worried about how to level it and finally got to sand it down today. Managed to finish up leveling the back of the guitar. Not 100% straight but it should do. Ran out of time so I'll go back in tomorrow to finish straightening out the sides and stuff.
Liking it so far, everything nice and detailed
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Looks good so far man, definitely watching this one's progress. I like the idea of the day-by-day updates (probably because I have no patience )
Hello there.

I lurk a lot.

It's what I do best.
Quote by AwesomenessFTW
Looks good so far man, definitely watching this one's progress. I like the idea of the day-by-day updates (probably because I have no patience )

Sorry to disappoint but it won't exactly be updates everyday. The DT workshop usually opens during Tuesdays and Thursdays but I got an exception for today. I'll try to get in as often as I can though! At best I would probably be able to do Mon, Tues, and Thurs. Busy on weekends and Wed/ Fri I have sports training.
Nice. The bridge is cool, but the headstock looks a bit pointy imo.

████████████
████████████

RBY CYOA
Quote by MeLodicDethMTL
Sorry to disappoint but it won't exactly be updates everyday. The DT workshop usually opens during Tuesdays and Thursdays but I got an exception for today. I'll try to get in as often as I can though! At best I would probably be able to do Mon, Tues, and Thurs. Busy on weekends and Wed/ Fri I have sports training.

Hey, better than no updates at all. You, my friend, have a solid work ethic.
Hello there.

I lurk a lot.

It's what I do best.
Looks cool. I still really want to try making my own guitar, just nervous about doing it. But yours is looking good.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Hey, dude. I used a belt sander for the side bevels, then the rolling end and drum sanding accessories for a hand drill for the curved rear sections. Just mark your work out and take it steady... it'll turn out fine and dandy!
I want a King V now. Subscribed.
Quote by dr_shred
FrustratedRocka you are a legend

Quote by littlephil

The man clearly knows his shit.

Quote by Banjocal

one of the best, educated and logical posts I've ever seen on UG in the Pit. Well done good sir.
I just went through all those albums for a better look, and I couldn't help but notice your inlays are in the wrong positions ( some anyway) for instance, one shot shows 15th (XV) in the right spot, and 24 (XXIV) is right after it on the 17th.
Quote by Dengeki_
I just went through all those albums for a better look, and I couldn't help but notice your inlays are in the wrong positions ( some anyway) for instance, one shot shows 15th (XV) in the right spot, and 24 (XXIV) is right after it on the 17th.

...Oh god D:
Quote by Oujou
...Oh god D:

Oh that wasn't my mistake, I also noticed it too. I bought the inlays off ebay and apparently they put it in the wrong order (didn't notice till it got here and i counted just to check). I did try to rearrange it BUT they were different sizes so I kept it the way it was... well not like anyone would actually read it would they :P

BTW Entry No9 COMING UP SOON, gotta take a shower first... im all covered with dust after the sanding... Good news and... bad news...
Bumping for an epic thread.
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
First off I'm just going to say I feel like crap right now... MAJOR SCREW UP (NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED!)

Build Entry No9 26th August 2010

Link: http://s757.photobucket.com/albums/xx212/13PJC/PP%20Build%20Entry%20No9%20August%2026th/

Ok so summary first so you'll understand what is happening...

First off I went in to continued sanding. So I just started to sand the wings again just to make sure its straight and fixed up the imperfection from last time. After that was done i went on to sanding the front. Right side was done okay but the left wings thickness was a pain to do... After a short while a teacher came in and suggested the idea of drawing a line on the side to check for the thickness. It was a good idea but having to listen to him for 10min over a simple thing kinda got onto my nerves. So I did what he said but it was harder than it seems. I messed up so from the thickness of 43mm became like 39~40... It was also because I was trying to fix up a bump that was sticking up... The DT assistant guy then used to chisel to get the thickness down on one side then told me to do it later. After sanding both sides I tried to go up near the neck but then it couldn't reach. Tried to reach in with the sides of the sander but it kinda screwed up the thickness and created small bumps but it was okay. After that I took a file and sanded down the sides of the heel a bit first then went on with the belt sander thing and sanded it like a Jackson neck joint. The final result was quite awesome as it made a big difference for the access and playability of the higher frets. Next i just went for the headstock and sanded down the side to create a bevel. After looking at it again the side wasn't straight and looked funny... As someone pointed out last time that the headstock was too sharp I also sanded it. Tried to do the curve on the other side but not much time left so I stopped. Since I have this electric sander thing at home the DT assistant guy who was helping me told me to take it home and sand with it (yes theres a pic, a rectangular kinda thing).

Ok so this is what happened after I left the workshop and things turn for the worse. So after I walked out to get into my car and went home... After i took the guitar out and put it down I saw these dent things up front........ I'm not sure what you call it but it seems like the wood was shrinking up front. It might be something to do with the humidity but I don't really know. So then I went do do as I originally intended and tried sanding the neck part which had a big lump of wood... Oh and the sander thing was quite hard to use as there was no instructions at all (putting on the sand paper)... I tried to sand down the parts that had a dent but then it was too far down so obvious I won't keep doing it. I got quite irritated and decided to go ahead and do the bevels. I didn't really care what happens anymore as it was all messed up at that point. Surprisingly it turned out quite ok for a rushed process. i then proceed to go crazy and started to sand the neck. it was originally a C kinda shape so I then just sanded it flat into a U kinda shape. I made sure I didn't go overboard so it wouldn't be too thin. At the end it felt quite good but I just noticed how rough it was because I used a 60 grit sandpaper... After staying out on the balcony for over an hour I gave up and came back in... Still kinda depressed at whatever happened. Now there are even dents on the back that are showing up a bit.

I'm not sure exactly what it is but in a period of 15 minutes everything screwed up. All I know is that I left the workshop and came outside, talked to a few friends before leaving, then got on the car back home... It was a bit hot when i got out of the workshop but then it was about the same heat it was when I first brought it in (I just held the guitar in my hand as I don't have a gigbag for a V, well one that isn't currently holding a guitar anyways)... It certainly did not hit anything in the car or outside... The only thing I could think of is a humidity problem. I asked my mom but she said that it shouldn't have anything to do with the humidity. Not gonna go into detail since I don't really remember what she said anyways :P

Picture time...

The part that I can't really reach with the sander.

Sanding the front. i managed to get the glue out at the end

Corrected the imperfection from last time

The line thing the teacher made me do...

The lump the sander couldn't reach...

Jackson style neck joint!!!! Awsome

Headstock... yes its not that great

The red circle part... if you look carefully its like the wood shrunk... more pictures below

Again...

URGH!

That sander thing I was going to use

Looks nice eh? minus the fact that theres dents up front that is!

headstock shot. I'm gonna curve the right side a bit more on monday

Another picture of the heel

Rushed bevels, turned out better that i thought (I was quite pissed off back then)

Other side

Neck sanded to a U kinda profile

Ahhh, this part is just awesome

Bevels on the inside. Not perfect but still ok i guess. Didn't do the back yet FYI

All the imperfections... All was going so well....

That weird thing again... Now a few on the back... it was perfectly fine like 5 minutes ago

Another overall shot to make myself feel a bit better... WHAT WENT WRONG!!!

So I'm wondering if I could use this to cover up the dent/ shrunk parts of the body. More info on this please go to Stewmac and search for the grain filler (this ones the natural one).

Ok so anyone that could help me out on what is happening to my guitar would be great! I would appreciate it ALOT. I have sports training tomorrow right after school but I think I'll bring it into the lab for the guy that was helping me to check out what is happening and hopefully fix it... I think I won't even go near the guitar anymore for now I was going to bring it home to work on it so I could give you guys some updates instead of waiting until Monday but THIS happened...
Try to put some water in the dents should make them come back out again.
Nice build btw
According to my friend and my dad it is the humidity problem. A more accurate description would be that the wood kinda sinks in. I'll bring it into the workshop tomorrow and see if the DT guy could help out
Quote by oed
Try to put some water in the dents should make them come back out again.
Nice build btw

According to my friend he says its a warp so it technically "sank". He says not to use water tho...
Quote by MeLodicDethMTL
According to my friend he says its a warp so it technically "sank". He says not to use water tho...

Ok, I thaught they where dents that had been caused by the guitar bumping in to something. Then the water would expand the wood out again.. I guess you could use the same method but you better be on the sfe side
Quote by MeLodicDethMTL
Oh that wasn't my mistake, I also noticed it too. I bought the inlays off ebay and apparently they put it in the wrong order (didn't notice till it got here and i counted just to check). I did try to rearrange it BUT they were different sizes so I kept it the way it was... well not like anyone would actually read it would they :P

A minor technicality! Nice BBC video too lolz.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Showed the guitar to the DT guy this morning and he said it was fine. He says it cause the wood wasn't dried as well as it should have been. Still dunno how to fix it though.
Looks really good. I wouldn't worry to much if there are tiny imperfections, it will still look great!
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
MAN! I Love those roman numeral inlays--so sick.
Looking good man, don't worry about those dents; likely fixable. And besides...I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't circle all of them
Quote by Duval67
MAN! I Love those roman numeral inlays--so sick.
Looking good man, don't worry about those dents; likely fixable. And besides...I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't circle all of them

If you look at it from the pictures u probably wont be able to tell at all but if u see the actual thing it'll be quite obvious.

I was thinking about possible just sanding it all the way down and getting a top but then i already did the bevels... which would make it alot harder to deal with.

Well I'll be in on monday and see what happens
Okay so the workshop wasn't opened today unfortunately so no updates

I still went in to talk to the DT guy and he says just leave the parts that sank. Even if I use water to get the wood back out straight it would still eventually sink back when it dries. He says that it's okay to leave it like that and when I do the finish on the guitar we'll have to use the paint and create a flat layer on top. Apparently he says he'll use this paint thing like on furniture where there is also gloss in it so no need to do a clear top later on. Can't remember what it is exactly that he said but it's like urethane or something??? I think it kinda works the same as how it's done on cars where they just put the color on and the gloss is already mixed in.

Ok so heres whats going on now. Help me choose on a color to finish the guitar with! most likely a solid color if I use the paint he says. It also seems possible to do the colors on the bevels so help me out on that too. One thing I want to try is white with something like black splatter on it! So just post what you think the finish should be!
Last edited by MeLodicDethMTL at Aug 30, 2010,
Page 1 of 3