Hey everyone. We just booked our first show and not having any experience selling tickets (we need to sell 50) I ask the pit, how do I do this? Any tips would be much appreciated!

Info in sig...
Sell them to friends and family.
Gear:
----------------------
Jack and Danny Brothers Ls-5
Ibanez Gsa 60
----------------------
Zoom g9.2tt (for sale (NL))
----------------------
Blackheart Little Giant
Fool some guy to buy all your tickets, tell him to sell those tickets for a higher price, meaning that even though you might not get the entire audience, you'll still get the money. or is it something like that?
DeVillains!
Print some posters and stick them up on noticeboards everywhere - in colleges, community halls, cafes, leisure centres, music shops etc.
Please don't tell me you payed to play...
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by hazarmaveth
If we don't sell the tickets then that's basically what happens. But on the other hand, we can make a lot.

Here's the advice:

First; don't pay to play, that's a sure way of getting ripped off.

Second; Sell tickets to everyone (EVERYONE) you know.

EDIT:

Third; You're playing at the Alrosa Villa. Don't be Dimebag.
Go door to door. It works for Girl Scout cookies.
Quote by Primus2112
Please don't tell me you payed to play...

What a chump.
Quote by Primus2112
Here's the advice:

First; don't pay to play, that's a sure way of getting ripped off.

Second; Sell tickets to everyone (EVERYONE) you know.

EDIT:

Third; You're playing at the Alrosa Villa. Don't be Dimebag.

Yeah, but either way, it's our first show and with 400 people expected to be there so its a good opportunity.

Someone had to bring up Dimebag. I always think, Why did that have to happen here?
Quote by hazarmaveth
$10

$10? Good luck with that. Not many people will part that much cash for a band they don't know.

Just try and create a buzz, get friends to invite friends, that kind of thing.

And don't pay to play ever again. It's one of the golden rules next to "never play for free." Unless it's a mate's birthday. But then you demand beer.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
$10? Good luck with that. Not many people will part that much cash for a band they don't know.

Just try and create a buzz, get friends to invite friends, that kind of thing.

And don't pay to play ever again. It's one of the golden rules next to "never play for free." Unless it's a mate's birthday. But then you demand beer.

Yeah, we are opening up for a couple bands. One averages 250.

Pay to play? What venue will give us a show without expecting us to bring an audience? I don't want to just play backyards on the weekend. Its a risk but isn't that just the nature of the business?
Last edited by hazarmaveth at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by hazarmaveth
Yeah, we are opening up for a couple bands. One averages 250.

Pay to play? What venue will give us a show without expecting us to bring an audience? I don't want to just play backyards on the weekend. Its a risk but isn't that just the nature of the business?

No venue wants a band that wont bring an audience. But that doesnt mean you should pay to play. I dont know what your area is like, but in my band, we are all 17 and we play 6-7 times a month, and we always get paid handsomely (considering that were 17). Never once have we had to push tickets for a show
Quote by tubatom868686
No venue wants a band that wont bring an audience. But that doesnt mean you should pay to play. I dont know what your area is like, but in my band, we are all 17 and we play 6-7 times a month, and we always get paid handsomely (considering that were 17). Never once have we had to push tickets for a show

Would you push tickets to play in front of a good number of people (no offense if you do regularly)?
If you use facebook create an event, invite all your friends and advertise it like it's the biggest concert EVAR.
Current Gear:
Peavey Zodiac DE Scorpio (Bass)
Yamaha RBX-170 (Bass)
Boss ODB-3 (Overdrive Pedal)
Line 6 LowDown 150 (Amp)
Quote by hazarmaveth
Would you push tickets to play in front of a good number of people (no offense if you do regularly)?

No. The crowds I play for a typically in the 100-200 range (at smaller clubs and things like that), which isnt bad at all. In the summer, we play lots of festivals that cities around us hold where the crowds routinely push up to 500-600. Once again weve never had to push tickets. If you sound good enough and have the right business skills, you should never have to pay to play

Also, keep in mind, a lot of venues arent as worried about how many people you bring as how long your going to keep the people already there drinking. No venue is gonna care if you bring 1,000 people if their all underage and cant spend money at the bar

Thats how a good cover band can average a couple thousand dollars per show. They play music that caters to the people drinking. The people drinking stay longer to hear another couple songs they like, and therefore, spend more money

You really have to have a business mind about this stuff
Last edited by tubatom868686 at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by tubatom868686
No. The crowds I play for a typically in the 100-200 range (at smaller clubs and things like that), which isnt bad at all. In the summer, we play lots of festivals that cities around us hold where the crowds routinely push up to 500-600. Once again weve never had to push tickets. If you sound good enough and have the right business skills, you should never have to pay to play

Dude, thanks for the knowledge. Its our first show so of course we don't know anything. Hopefully its a good experience though. What do you mean by business skills? We're not concern with money as much as experience.
Last edited by hazarmaveth at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by hazarmaveth
Dude, thanks for the knowledge. Its our first show so of course we don't anything. Hopefully its a good experience though. What do you mean by business skills? We're not concern with money as much as experience.

Read my edit, I think it explains more.

I gotta go to some rehearsals all day, so I wont be able to respond anymore. If this thread is still alive when I get home tonight, Ill help more
Quote by tubatom868686
Read my edit, I think it explains more.

I gotta go to some rehearsals all day, so I wont be able to respond anymore. If this thread is still alive when I get home tonight, Ill help more

Greatly appreciated!
Quote by hazarmaveth
Dude, thanks for the knowledge. Its our first show so of course we don't know anything. Hopefully its a good experience though. What do you mean by business skills? We're not concern with money as much as experience.

When you're in a band dealing with venues, labels, promoters... it's business at the end of the day. It involves people looking to make money. Venues with bars salivate when a gig is going on, for example, because they will be taking god knows how much at the bar- especially at under 18 shows, as pump coke etc has a HUGE profit margin on it.

Pay to play is almost asking to be shafted. The venue will be making money regardless of whether you bring 50 people or not.
Quote by hazarmaveth
Someone had to bring up Dimebag. I always think, Why did that have to happen here?

lol

Seriously though, watch out for suspicious looking people in there...
Quote by Deliriumbassist
When you're in a band dealing with venues, labels, promoters... it's business at the end of the day. It involves people looking to make money. Venues with bars salivate when a gig is going on, for example, because they will be taking god knows how much at the bar- especially at under 18 shows, as pump coke etc has a HUGE profit margin on it.

Pay to play is almost asking to be shafted. The venue will be making money regardless of whether you bring 50 people or not.

That doesn't necessarily bother me. If they don't make a profit, they don't exist. And were playing in our backyard...

But, maybe Ill have a worse attitude once we get the tickets in a couple of days and we have to try to sell them.
Quote by Primus2112
lol

Seriously though, watch out for suspicious looking people in there...

Dude, after that horrible experience, I bet they hired some better security. Then again, what would be more metal....