Hey,

So I've probably annoyed a lot of people on here asking about what amp to get, apoligies for that.

I'm going to try and be as specific as I can, so hopefully I can finda nice amp. Ok, here goes:

I'm in the UK. So only brands that you can get in the UK, rather than forking out half the price of the amp for shipping.

Budget is £1200 roughly. This means head and cab for that, or a combo for that.

I play rock and metal. Think Motley, Kiss, Clapton, Hendrix, and some softer stuff too. I want to be able to play classic rock primarily, but want it to sound decent when playing a 'Tallica riff too, or a bluesy riff. That being said, I don't need it to be a Jack of all trades, just so it doesn't sound too bad when trying other stuff.

I'm thinking either a head and 2 x 12 cab, or a combo of some sort.

I need good clean headroom, enough to use my pedals with. I also use a Big Muff Pi for dist at the moment, but if I get a nice tone from the amp I'll use it as a bit of a boost and fuzz.

Ok, so some I'm looking at are:

Marshall TSL 60
Marshall 1978x
Orange AD30HTC
Blackstar Series 1

I'd prefere to buy new, but I'll consider used stuff.

Thanks
You can get stuff second hand a lot cheaper, but anyway, I think a JCM800 and a Marshall 1960 4 by 12 would fit in your budget. They sound awesome, really warm and clean up nicley too. 100 watts might be a bit much, so you could get an older 50 watt version, (marshall only reissues the 100 watt atm) or you could go for a Marshall 1987x, 50 watts is loud, but because it's cheaper you could buy an attenuator or have a master volume modded.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
Laney VH100R this amp is amazing for that 80's era hard rock tone and can be pushed to 'Tallica level without problems
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Hiwatt Higain 50 or 100 head. Hiwatt Maxwatt 4 x 12 cab (400w). Great combination and within your price. There is a 50w combo, too if you don't fancy lugging a 4 x 12.
All you expect from a Hiwatt amp, except the point to point wiring (pcb based), so great cleans. But the Higain channel gives you overdrive a Marshall user would kill for.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Mattieee
DO you play live or is this only for home use?

I'm in a band, so yeah, need to be giggable.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Edit:

A problem with the 800, it's single channel right? I'd prefer two channels really.
Last edited by DeadlySurfer at Aug 25, 2010,
Ah, my mistake, sorry. I read that they didn't.

So far the 800 looks really nice, classic tone.

The Hiwatt has surprised me, didn't expect it to be good at all but seems nice.
Heads, new:

Engl Screamer
Marshall DSL50/100
Marshall JVM210
Laney GH/VH series
H&K Statesman (dunno how well it'd take a boost for Metallica tones)
Orange AD30
Framus Dragon

Heads, used:

Engl Blackmore
Marshall JCM800
H&K Duotone

Combine either head with a good 2x12" like an Orange PPC or Engl Pro and you're good to go.

Combos, new:

Koch Multitone/Twintone
H&K Switchblade TSC (not for everyone, rather modern sound)
Engl Raider
Orange AD30

Combos, used:

H&K Duotone
Engl Classic (might be too tame)
Engl Sovereign (heavy as f*ck, sounds great though)
Quote by TheQuailman
Heads, new:

Engl Screamer
Marshall DSL50/100
Marshall JVM210
Laney GH/VH series
Orange AD30
Framus Dragon

Heads, used:

Engl Blackmore
Marshall JCM800
H&K Duotone

Combine either head with a good 2x12" like an Orange PPC or Engl Pro and you're good to go.

Combos, new:

Koch Multitone/Twintone
Engl Raider
Orange AD30

Combos, used:

H&K Duotone

Or you can get a zilla cab
Custom made in london.
£400 max for a 2x12 and you chose everythin
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by TheQuailman
Heads, new:

Engl Screamer
Marshall DSL50/100
Marshall JVM210
Laney GH/VH series
Orange AD30
Framus Dragon

Heads, used:

Engl Blackmore
Marshall JCM800
H&K Duotone

Combos, new:

Koch Multitone/Twintone
Engl Raider
Orange AD30

Combos, used:

H&K Duotone

Thanls for the list, I'll have a look at the ones I haven't checked before.

The DSL, how good is it? I mean, a lot of people bad mouth the "new" Marshalls, but to me it seems a good amp?

There's something about Laneys that put me off, I'm not quite sure what really.

And the Zilla cabs look sweet, shall be researching now.
It's a pretty modern sounding amp, so it won't nail the tones you are looking for, but I like it's tone and it's relatively versatile. It's sort of a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none kind of amp. Just another option worth looking into, since it can be found for a decent price in the UK.

And shuddup, Laneys rule!

Actually, the GH and VH have a more 'classic' tone than the DSL, so they might work for you better. I know my GH does a pretty good Hendrix and AC/DC tone.
Quote by TheQuailman
It's a pretty modern sounding amp, so it won't nail the tones you are looking for, but I like it's tone and it's relatively versatile. It's sort of a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none kind of amp. Just another option worth looking into, since it can be found for a decent price in the UK.

And shuddup, Laneys rule!

Actually, the GH and VH have a more 'classic' tone than the DSL, so they might work for you better. I know my GH does a pretty good Hendrix and AC/DC tone.

Ah, alrighty.

And no offense! Mainly I think it's the looks, and that they never figured for me before.

Then again, I just looked at the GH100L

Only thing is one channel? I'm not sure, they've always put me off.

Edit:

Then I'll go for the VH series, duh
Last edited by DeadlySurfer at Aug 25, 2010,
The one channel isn't really a problem if you know how to work your guitar's volume pot - also, it has two gain-levels which can be controlled with a foot switch. There's a difference in volume between the two though, depending on how you dial them in.

EDIT: I realise it's not what everyone wants though... if you're looking for a really versatile all-in-one solution, the Dragon or Sovereign are your best bets, probably.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 25, 2010,
Yeah, I'm just not that good with thinking about a lot of stuff at once, plucking strings and pressing them down is as much as I can take..

The Laneys caught my attention. Doesn't seem to be bucketloads of people using it which I like, seems like it can handle what I want too.