Hi all

I am a beginner - I have been playing a loaned classical guitar for six months and have enjoyed it - bit I prefer to listen to Black Sabbath rather than Bach - so an electric is required

I have a budget of about £200, I have medium sized hands at best, so I think a narrowish neck would suit me. I would like to play classic rock\70s and 80s metal - think Black Sabbath, White Stripes, Def Leppard, Pink Floyd. I have decided on a Vox VT15 Amp (don't try and change my mind, I need to decide on something!)

I have read through the choosing a new guitar thread, it's very helpful but the choice available is overwhelming. So I'm looking to construct a shortlist based on the above criteria. if anyone could recommend a few models to start with I'd be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

Ash
UK
Last edited by AshersUK at Aug 25, 2010,
Good amp choice, it's exactly what I would've recommended!

As for guitar, have a look at vintage guitars, see if there are any you like there, they're good, cheap guitars and I know people who've been playing for years and still use Vintage guitars they got for under £200!

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html
Hi! I'm Andrew, and when I have a bubble in my throat I sound like Alan Rickman!

I have the BEST Jizz Face on UG!

My YouTube Channel (slowmotion stuff!): www.youtube.com/wannabeguitarlegend
Do not forget to check out Squier's Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series', either. Great guitars for the price. If you like playing stuff like Sabbath, I'd recommend something with a humbucker pickup at the bridge position, and if I recall correctly, the VM series has a strat with that.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
If you're from the UK, +1 on the Vintage brand. Amazing guitars for the price. Get a Les Paul or an SG, basically any of their guitars with humbuckers. Prices are amazing on them, and so is the quality.
The Vox VT15 is a good choice so you know.

As for guitars
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/73153
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/gretsch-electromatic-pro-jet/13250 (bit over budget, but a superb guitar)
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/77157
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/77155
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/77155
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/71751
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/81170

I reccomend looking on ebay, you can get some great deals, i picked up a fender standard telecaster for around £200.
True, doh!

was trying to think of good 80s models that you can get cheap now.
vintage av6 (the vintage advance strat with a humbucker in the bridge) would be worth considering.

maybe a yamaha pacifica 112v if the narrow neck is a priority.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
many thanks for the feedback folks, the speed of the responses surprised me, it's a busy forum.

I have a couple of questions if I may? A couple of people mention the Yamaha Pacifica 112v, I like the 'look' of it and I like the Yamaha brand (I have a digital piano). I see it has a humbucker pickup too, which I think I need. Reviews tend to like it a lot, my only concern was that whether it would sound gritty enough for stuff like Sabbath?

On the other hand, it sounds like it is a great multipurpose guitar - I don't want to limit myself to something capable of making Death Metal only.

From my beginner perspective I'm thinking that the amp itself is equally responsible for the sound and with the Vox vt15 I'm going to be able to reproduce most sounds fairly well (I don't need total tonal authenticity while I'm still learning to swap between E and A chords...) As long as Paranoid doesn't sound like a country and western track I think I'll be happy.

Or am I totally off base here?

Ash
At that price, or indeed many other prices, the Yamaha Pacifica is a fantastic guitar and is certainly what I'd suggest. I play a Jackson SL3 Soloist as my main guitar but I'm more than happy to get a Pacifica as a second guitar as it's so good. Forget about other guitars at this kind of price, just get the Pacifica.

You're right that the amp is important and is more responsible for the sound you'll get than the guitar so you need to get an amp that will suit the styles you're after as well as offer flexibility. That's why I wouldn't choose the Vox. They're great amps, especially for classic Rock tones but for Metal I find it doesn't quite have the balls required. I think that once you get to the Black Sabbath end of your spectrum it's starting to struggle. If it was me, I'd get a Roland Cube 30w. It's a fantastic little amp that produces a good range of tones and is especially good at Rock/Metal sounds. What's even better is that there's loads of them available on Ebay in near mint condition for about £100. At the moment I'm selling my valve combo to get a more powerful valve head for gigs and when I do that I'm going to get a Roland Cube 30 from Ebay for home practice. If it was new I'd probably go for the Peavey Vypyr but why spend all that extra when a Cube is almost as good (arguably better) for a fraction of the price on Ebay?

There you have it then. A new Yamaha Pacifica 112V and a Roland Cube 30w from Ebay. You'll be well set for a long time to come and spent less than £300.
Gibson Les Paul Studio with Catswhiskers pickups
PRS SE 'Floyd' Custom 24 with Creamery pickups
Fender Standard Stratocaster with DiMarzio pickups
Takamine GN30
BluGuitar AMP1
The Cube 30x was my other choice of amp actually, but somewhere along the lines I changed my mind, if I remember rightly because the Vox had more functionality (effects I guess). Also the Cube 30x is a bit pricier than the Vox vt15. I could go the second hand route, but for peice of mind, I prefer to go new.
Vouching on the Pacifica once again. Truely a great strat-copy, a lot better than squires..
No ego-inflating quotes nor stupidly long signatures to be found here.

Move along.

Bands/Artists of the month; Marco Sfogli, Marco Sfogli and Marco Sfogli .

Quote by steve_muse
^lol'd at the sig, adj209
For a strat type, Cort G series are excellent. You might look at the starter end of their X series, too. Played a few X-2s and never met a poor one.
Vintage V100 as shown above are ok but go to a shop like Dolphin or GAK and try a few as QC leaves a bit to be desired.
These look interesting, http://shop.strato.de/epages/62079703.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62079703/Products/WLP-700A but it looks like a new company trying to make a name in the Chinese made, EU finished market.
Tim Ellis www.tcellisguitars.com has good guitars starting around £250 (he may haggle) and he does personally check every guitar over before sending out. Nice guy to do business with.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

yeah, you're right about the amp (the vox should be fine I think), and both the yamaha pacifica 112v and vintage advance av6 (the HSS one) are both pretty versatile because of the HSS pickup setup.

I think the vintage advance is better than the pacifica- its rrp is a fair bit more, but I've seen online prices which are approaching the price of the pacifica- it has a steel block on the trem (better tone), locking tuners (should stay in tune better), the wilkinson pickups are pretty decent, etc. etc. Now, as you're a new player it'd help to buy from a local shop which can help you if you get into bother, and it's debatable if you'd get the online prices I've seen in a local shop (dv247 has the av6 HSS for £180, which is approaching pacifica 112v prices, as i said), but it's worth bearing in mind.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?