As part of some coursework I have to do in physics I have been asked to find out what type of resistors there are, and what their uses are. The GCSE books have no information in them on this topic. Along with this every internet site I've looked at either doesn't have the information I need, or the nformation clashes with other pages.

Is there anyone in the pit that knows about electrical components and may be able to provide some info?

If not, thanks for taking your time to look at the thread anyway
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
They're colour coded (Different coloured stripes) and this signifies what resistance level they are.
RIP Tom Searle.
There are resistors in parallel, and in series.

edit: over, over over over oversimplification, of course.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Last edited by damian_91 at Aug 25, 2010,
Thermistors - temp dependant
Variable resistors - manual / automatically adjustable
Light dependant resistors / photoresistor - light intensity dependent

The ones I know off the top of my head.
Quote by JackalUK
Thermistors - temp dependant
Variable resistors - manual / automatically adjustable
Light dependant resistors / photoresistor - light intensity dependent

The ones I know off the top of my head.
I think these are what you need to know for GCSE...

Otherwise are they asking for the materials used? Cause there's Carbon Comp, Metal Film and stuff but I don't think that's what they're asking for.
I have a ponytail fetish.
..And a labcoat fetish. SCIENCE!
As a student majoring in Electronic Engineering I'm going to give you 1 tip:

Don't ****ing ask The Pit.

There are tons and tons and tons of different resistors varying in size, material, function, resistance, application, etc. I would advise you to open up wikipedia and just get some information from that site, it's not hard really now is it?

I just don't understand how people today have become so lazy/incompetent that they're not even able to extract information by themselves while they have millions of websites waiting to be visited and read.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

They're not specific on the question.

What types of resistors are there? What are they used for? (How do they work? I'll find this one myself on wikipedia)

They don't real say the amount of info they want, I'll just put in the info you guys have given and find out about the things you've said, and see what happens from there, thanks guys

To the dude above, the truth is I have no information on how much information I'm looking for, I reckon only a few answers will do though. And my reason for asking the pit is that most people here have something they can actually give information about, its not a matter of being lazy, reading wikipedia is no different to asking someone. It just depends on said persons temperment.

Also read first post, all the sites I visited didn't have the information I wanted or clashed with other sites.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
Last edited by 剣 斧 血 at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by ItWillDo
As a student majoring in Electronic Engineering I'm going to give you 1 tip:

Don't ****ing ask The Pit.

There are tons and tons and tons of different resistors varying in size, material, function, resistance, application, etc. I would advise you to open up wikipedia and just get some information from that site, it's not hard really now is it?

I just don't understand how people today have become so lazy/incompetent that they're not even able to extract information by themselves while they have millions of websites waiting to be visited and read.

Ohm my god, I so agree with the bolded part.
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.