is drop c# tuning;

c#,a,d,g,b,e,?

or

c#,g,c,f,a,d?

im familiar with tunings like drop a and drop b, but ive never used this tuning before so am quite confused,

all help is appreciated
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Last edited by ChazBcWarlock at Aug 25, 2010,
Drop C# usually refers to C#, G#, C#, F#, A#, and D#.

So basically, you tune your guitar flat, and then tune the low E string to C#, and it plays like Drop D tuning.
Half a step higher than drop C, so C# G# C# F# A# D#
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Last edited by Burgery at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by 100%guitarmad

Whoops
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I've never been to an audition where they tell me what tuning I should put my guitar to.

I'd be wary of these guys.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I've never been to an audition where they tell me what tuning I should put my guitar to.

I'd be wary of these guys.

They probably just have songs written already that use that tuning. I can relate because I love that tuning, write a lot of songs in it, but don't use it with my band (just use drop D). If I could convince our bassist to do it though, I would love to, so I can see how those guys would try to get that clear right from the onset.
Quote by Mirakus
They probably just have songs written already that use that tuning. I can relate because I love that tuning, write a lot of songs in it, but don't use it with my band (just use drop D). If I could convince our bassist to do it though, I would love to, so I can see how those guys would try to get that clear right from the onset.
The guitars don't all need to be in the same tuning, you know.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
I guess I'll just tag on a question to this thread.

Why is it referred to as C#, and not Db? That's how it works when you tune down half a step from standard to Eb. Is it just a convention thing?
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
I guess I'll just tag on a question to this thread.

Why is it referred to as C#, and not Db? That's how it works when you tune down half a step from standard to Eb. Is it just a convention thing?

I dunno, honestly. I've heard it referred to as both. I think it's because tuners (at least the standard Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner) only do sharp notes and not flats and it becomes habit at that point.

Having said that, I refer to it as Eb standard and not D#... but I also say C# faster than I'll say Db.
Last edited by DiminishedFifth at Aug 25, 2010,
I dunno why but I say sharp over flat. No idea why just habitual at this point I assume.
you can also tune to drop d, and then drop everything half a step
My Band (As Faith Fades)

Quote by steven seagull
Elitist bollocks like this makes me want to vomit. You're so far up your own arse you could lick your own tonsils.
hmmmm. thats funny. i usually only hear of this tuning on 8 and 7 string guitars :/
Classical Guitarist
Quote by Zep_shizzle
hmmmm. thats funny. i usually only hear of this tuning on 8 and 7 string guitars :/

is it sad that i know it as the misery business tuning?
My Band (As Faith Fades)

Quote by steven seagull
Elitist bollocks like this makes me want to vomit. You're so far up your own arse you could lick your own tonsils.
i say sharp over flat, i just prefer it tbh, im not really a big fan of this tuning, i much prefer drop b or drop a or even drop c
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
Quote by Zep_shizzle

I've never heard it on either... since you'd have to raise the B string a whole step.
it should be called Db as oppose to Csharp, because Db/Csharp major scale can only be written as Db and not Csharp, because otherwise you have to use the same letter twice (on two occasions) in the scale, which is "not allowed" in written music.
36 Crazyfists
Trivium
Machine Head
August Burns Red

And I like my penis. Because of it's existence, every morning I can look past the man thongs, pink duvet cover and a-Ha CDs and say to myself, "You're a man."

how about putting this simply.

1. tune to Eb.
2. drop Low Eb to match 4th string.
simples.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by Banjocal
how about putting this simply.

1. tune to Eb.
2. drop Low Eb to match 4th string.
simples.

This. Helloween use this tuning now and then.
Quote by P-H-O-B-I-A
it should be called Db as oppose to Csharp, because Db/Csharp major scale can only be written as Db and not Csharp, because otherwise you have to use the same letter twice (on two occasions) in the scale, which is "not allowed" in written music.
Lolwhat? C# major scale:

C# D# E# F# G# A# B# C#

Also, how is taking about major scales relevant?

On topic, I believe that technically it should be called Db because you are tuning down (and therefore flattening the note) but that's a pretty sketchy reason so I'm not 100% sure if it's true.
Quote by grimms
This. Helloween use this tuning now and then.

meh, a few bands do; id list one i like that do, but theyre pst hardocre and peope would get thier hate on still, the good thing about Eb is...SRV!!!!
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger