Hey A&C Forum.
So I bought a new electro-acoustic nearly 2 weeks ago, and it hurts my fingers on my fretting hand while playing barre chords and sometimes while doing hammer ons. Don't get me wrong, I have been playing over 1 and a half years, and I have had a steel string before, but it's really doing my head in because I can't practice as much as I want to.
This has happened before on my electro-acoustic, after I got new strings put on it (before I replaced the strings it was fine), and I just blamed it on the action being quite high. But the action is reasonably low on this guitar (0.5cm at 1st fret, 1.5cm at 12th), and it still hurts my fingers even though its low.
Do you think it's because of the strings? I haven't yet changed the strings on my new guitar, but I will soon probably to Elixir Medium Polyweb (I've never used these before but my favourite band uses them and I love the sound of them so ). Or is there any other reason for this?
I think your fretting too hard. Honestly. Try to lighten your touch, even on barre chords. They really don't take a lot of strength.

Other than that the steel strings will always hurt a bit more then electric or nylon strings. It shouldn't stop you from playing though.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
As well, if its causing you a bit of pain, I see no reason why you couldn't go for a set of Elixir Lights. It would certainly make pressing the strings down a bit easier than a set of mediums; and, in my opinion, there isn't a huge difference in tone/volume. At least, not enough to warrant the thicker gauge.

Another thing to look at is to make sure you've got the proper technique with your barre chords. As in, your index finger should be rolled outward a slight bit onto its side. Not trying to insult or anything, but I've seen people who have played longer that you or I that still play barre chords some other way that just makes things harder.
"Here I sit, beneath a lonely line."

~iband48's signature
Quote by guitar nubsauce
I think your fretting too hard. Honestly. Try to lighten your touch, even on barre chords. They really don't take a lot of strength.

Other than that the steel strings will always hurt a bit more then electric or nylon strings. It shouldn't stop you from playing though.

I don't really fret that hard tbqh, if i lightened my touch I'd be practically muting the strings. Nevertheless, I will try and lighten it.

Quote by iband48
As well, if its causing you a bit of pain, I see no reason why you couldn't go for a set of Elixir Lights. It would certainly make pressing the strings down a bit easier than a set of mediums; and, in my opinion, there isn't a huge difference in tone/volume. At least, not enough to warrant the thicker gauge.

Another thing to look at is to make sure you've got the proper technique with your barre chords. As in, your index finger should be rolled outward a slight bit onto its side. Not trying to insult or anything, but I've seen people who have played longer that you or I that still play barre chords some other way that just makes things harder.

Fair enough, I can't afford new strings at the moment anyway - I only get a fiver a week and lets face it, I need to buy other stuff .

I understand that might make a difference, but I do use the proper technique, so I have no idea why it hurts a little. It's mainly when my fingers are played on the G, B and high E strings.. any reason for this?
Are we talking fingertip pain, or something in the joints?

If it is the tips, the only real solution is to (edit: wo)man-up and grind through it. Going to a lighter gauge will just prolong the issue.
Quote by Fieryhead
I don't really fret that hard tbqh, if i lightened my touch I'd be practically muting the strings. Nevertheless, I will try and lighten it.

Fair enough, I can't afford new strings at the moment anyway - I only get a fiver a week and lets face it, I need to buy other stuff .

I understand that might make a difference, but I do use the proper technique, so I have no idea why it hurts a little. It's mainly when my fingers are played on the G, B and high E strings.. any reason for this?

A good test and practice too see if you are pressing far too hard is simple.

Do a barre chord and drop your thumb from behind the neck, so your hand is just freely pressing against the fretboard, without your thumb to apply pressure. If the chord doesn't sound clean, your barre technique may need work.
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
Oh, well, now your back's gonna hurt, 'cause you just pulled landscaping duty. Anybody else's fingers hurt?!
Quote by ghiyath
Oh, well, now your back's gonna hurt, 'cause you just pulled landscaping duty. Anybody else's fingers hurt?!

NICE Happy Gilmore quote man!
Quote by GC Shred Off
Are we talking fingertip pain, or something in the joints?

If it is the tips, the only real solution is to (edit: wo)man-up and grind through it. Going to a lighter gauge will just prolong the issue.

It's a bit of both, the fingertip pain I can put up with, but when I play a full song through with say 4 chords, 3 being barres, I get some pain in my joints.

Quote by Accousticguy
try a lighter guage string try lights

I will do when I get money for new strings, at the moment I still have the strings that were on the guitar when I bought it.

Quote by guitar nubsauce
A good test and practice too see if you are pressing far too hard is simple.

Do a barre chord and drop your thumb from behind the neck, so your hand is just freely pressing against the fretboard, without your thumb to apply pressure. If the chord doesn't sound clean, your barre technique may need work.

This I will try when I get around to picking my guitar up later, thanks for your help!

Quote by ghiyath

What's the point in posting when you aren't going to help? But then again, nice quote.
Last edited by Fieryhead at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by silver8ack
I'm not really sure how new strings would affect your joint pains.

Well barre chords don't hurt when I play on a electric or on a classical.. so I don't know
Quote by Fieryhead
Well barre chords don't hurt when I play on a electric or on a classical.. so I don't know

steel string acoustic guitars are tougher to fret than electric guitars
its just the way of life
Quote by fenderfreak100
steel string acoustic guitars are tougher to fret than electric guitars
its just the way of life

ah i know, its just a pain! i think i can deal with the pain until i can afford new strings
Quote by Fieryhead
....it hurts my fingers on my fretting hand while playing barre chords and sometimes while doing hammer ons....

....the action is reasonably low on this guitar (0.5cm at 1st fret, 1.5cm at 12th), and it still hurts my fingers even though its low.....

Hunny...go measure those distances. If that is accurate, your action is not low, it is almost enough to drive a bus under.

As I said when you bought it...get it setup. It is probably the most important thing for you to do.

You have already stated that it stops you from playing. What is the point in having a guitar you don't want to play?

Fret the guitar at the 3rrd fret on the low E. Now look at the gap between the string and the first fret. It should be so small you can't see it. So small, that you have to tap the string on it to hear it go "ting"...just to know there is a gap there.

The action on my "beater" is 4mm at the 12th on the Low E.

Seriously. I cannot stress enough how important a setup is going to be to you.

And don't get lighter gauge strings, stick with 11's or 12's. Especially on an action like that...thinner strings will kill your fingers even more.

What shop did you buy it from (as in the name) and where?
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Sep 1, 2010,