Hey there guys,

Quick question. I'm in a position to buy a used ZVox Wooly Mammoth, but it's still much more than the legendary Electro-Harmonix Bass Big Muff. Is there that much of a discernable difference? What do you guys prefer?

I know that the bassist of Muse uses a ZVox, and I love that sound; I'm just concerned about versatility of the pedal.

Thanks in advance.

MusicMan SUB4
OLP MM2

Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II / RBH410 x2
Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor
Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus
ZVex Wooly Mammoth Fuzz
If you're after the Wolstenholme sound, unless you're very technically minded and have a lot of bread to play with, you're not going to get very far.

He has a different tone in pretty much every song. Time Is Running Out isn't even an actual bass guitar, but a synthesizer (at least in the studio version).

Hysteria is just a mountain of layered bass tracks, there's overdrive, synth, fuzz, and all-sorts in there. He doesn't use any fuzz pedals exclusively, he often uses these cheap Asian distortion boxes, and a lot of Big Muffs too I believe.

The Woolly Mammoth is a very good pedal for achieving that hideously wonderful nasally sort of sound which works well with lots of Muse stuff, but not the most versatile. The Big Muff isn't the most versatile either, but it's probably going to be easier to fit into most situations.

We play a few Muse numbers in my band, and I've found a sound that works perfectly using two pedals. One is a bass big muff (the other I'm not going to disclose because I think I'm onto something with it). I'd recommend trying some of the different guitar pedals, overdrives and such, then running your bass into one of those and then into a Bass Big Muff with the bass boost function on. This gives me great results a lot of the time, and packs a bit more of a punch than you'd get with any one single pedal. Blending with your clean signal also helps a lot.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I am not trying to emulate Chris' tone at all. I just thought it was noteworthy because I thought that he used ZVox.

And like you said, I'm mostly looking at which pedal would give me both the most flexibility and "enhancability", or how it interacts with other pedals. I honestly hadn't thought of the bass boost function, that idea sounds very cool, actually.

Thanks for the tips!

MusicMan SUB4
OLP MM2

Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II / RBH410 x2
Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor
Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus
ZVex Wooly Mammoth Fuzz
Quote by Ziphoblat

We play a few Muse numbers in my band, and I've found a sound that works perfectly using two pedals. One is a bass big muff (the other I'm not going to disclose because I think I'm onto something with it). I'd recommend trying some of the different guitar pedals, overdrives and such, then running your bass into one of those and then into a Bass Big Muff with the bass boost function on. This gives me great results a lot of the time, and packs a bit more of a punch than you'd get with any one single pedal. Blending with your clean signal also helps a lot.

For the two pedal idea, that's where I've had my best results too.

I got a really good sound with a sansamp BDDI running after the Zvex woolly mammoth. Very close to a lot of wolstenholme sounds, though sadly lacking a little bottom end.