I have a Line 6 Spider II 75W 1x12 which serves me well in most of what I do and in combination with a few stomp boxes gives me a sound I am happy with. However I am starting to do some bigger gigs and some recording, and the direct out from the amp (which I need to use for a couple of the effects and the EQ I don't have pedals for yet) cuts the sound off to the speaker which then makes it completely useless for me to hear myself. I am not looking for loads of advice about monitors and such, I've worked in studios and live pro-audio before on the desk side, I know the ins and outs.

What I am wondering is if there is a way of modding the circuitry so that it links the Direct Out in parallel with the speaker output, rather than as a bypass.

Many thanks in advance for any help, even if it's just to say it's not possible, I know the circuitry inside the line 6 amps are like something out of a sci-fi movie.
are you looking for an effects loop?
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
Ummmm.....what are you using the Direct Out for?

From what I understand you are plugging your amp straight into the PA.

If thats correct that must sound like a Line 6 Spider......oh wait!
Surely, if you "worked in studios and live pro-audio before on the desk side", you'd know using a mic instead of the DI would be 10x better? Let alone solve your problem?
Quote by Ultragoose
...using a mic instead of the DI would be 10x better? Let alone solve your problem?

This, exactly. Mic-ing the amp instead of DI-ing, especially playing live, sounds a whole heap better! As long as you have a decent mic for it.
yes... I know micing is better, however I don't currently have the ability to set it up, and the systems I'm working with at the moment certainly don't have decent mics. I just want to be able to hear myself through my own combo and still run out to a sound system.
Where are you playing that 75 watts is not loud enough? And if a place is that big, shouldn't they have one extra mic and input for a guitar amp?
Tell your drummer to turn down a bit.

But honestly, what is happening is that your direct output has a jack that "breaks normal". Meaning it opens the original connection with the speaker. You would have to replace that with a normal jack wired in parallel but then you're probably looking at some impedance problems and some other problems I'm sure I'm not qualified enough to think of.
Last edited by inkandlead at Aug 25, 2010,
there are to wires going to the speaker take the output from there. Don't disconnect those wires from the speaker though leave them there.