ok, well i want to get a pedal, i have no idea how they work, what they do, how to have a good set up. are there pedals that do multiple effects, like delay/distortion/loop or is each pedal individual?

also what are good brands, are there cheaper ones, all that.
I'M GONNA GIVE YOU A BAD CASE OF SOMEONE SHOT ME IN THE HEAD!!!
If you don't even know what they do you should be doing much much much more research before you consider buying anything. Head down to your local music store and try some out. Research bands you like and find out what they're using. Don't just buy some pedals for the sake of making a purchase lol
Quote by yodadax
ok, well i want to get a pedal, i have no idea how they work, what they do, how to have a good set up. are there pedals that do multiple effects, like delay/distortion/loop or is each pedal individual?

also what are good brands, are there cheaper ones, all that.

If you don't know what you want buy them all in one.
Buy a multi FX.
It's cheaper and it's WAYYY less work.
Gear:
MXR Super Badass -->
BOSS SD WAZA -->
FENDER CD 140 SCE -->
MXR M300 REVERB -->
TC ELECTRONIC FLASHBACK
ESP EC 401 VF TSB -->
BOSS KATANA HEAD 100 WATT -->
MILF Tease
Yeah, what AxSilentxLine said. Also, of course there are pedals that do different things and there is quite a price range. Digitech has some pretty cheap ones and they're half decent. Pedals can be hooked up guitar-pedal-amp and you could also put them in the effects loop. But, figure out what you want (effects, distortion etc).
Quote by AxSilentxLine
If you don't even know what they do you should be doing much much much more research before you consider buying anything. Head down to your local music store and try some out. Research bands you like and find out what they're using. Don't just buy some pedals for the sake of making a purchase lol

i agree with this completely. this is why i'm posting here to research. i probably didn't say that right in my opening post. but i don't want to just buy one, thats why i'm asking.
Quote by NHECOS
If you don't know what you want buy them all in one.
Buy a multi FX.
It's cheaper and it's WAYYY less work.

i saw some of these i think it's a great idea.
Quote by AxSilentxLine

Agreed. There so many pedals out there that do a huge variety of sounds, and even more that are specialized in just one type of sound (fuzz, distortion, delay, etc.). Plus there are a lot of pedals out there that seem like a great deal and tons of people here on UG will vouch for them, but in reality sound terrible and use very low quality parts/craftsmanship (nearly every low end Boss pedal and a few expensive ones fall into that category, ESPECIALLY the DS-1). You definitely need to go play around with some pedals, talk to the guys that work at the store, and do some research on what you're looking for. Maybe even look into what kind of pedals your favorite artists use to achieve their tone. Let me be the first to tell you, don't make a purchase simply on good reviews and such, trust your ears and be critical.

EDIT: Use YouTube, too. Whenever I come across a pedal that I know I won't be able to find at a store very easily, I go to YouTube to see if someone has posted a demo of it and 9 times out of 10 there's something out there. It's not quite as good as hearing it for yourself, but it's in the ballpark. If you decide to do this, I HIGHLY recommend looking at gearmanndude's videos. The guy sounds/acts like Jack Black and makes some pretty great vids.
Last edited by sickstring11 at Aug 25, 2010,
Really the only way to get something worthwhile is to know what you want. The only way to know what you want is to research. The way to research is find out what the bands you like are using, and then go to the music store and try them out to see which ones you like/want.

Getting our opinions won't help at all if you don't know what you're looking for.
Personally I think the best thing for someone trying to get into using effects and don't know exactly what they want is to get a cheap multifx unit like a Digitech RP90 or RP255. If you want to go really cheap you could get the RP55, but I'd recommend getting one with an expression pedal. Zoom also has a couple cheap ones, I've never used one though.

They aren't very good tone wise, but they're great for finding out what kinds of sounds you like and you won't be out too much money with one.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by stykerwolf
What amplifier do you currently have?

just a older crate practice amp
LOL, looks like a trip to GC is in order.
Quote by yodadax
LOL, looks like a trip to GC is in order.

And for the love of god, if you go to GC, DON'T GIVE IN TO THE SALESPEOPLE. I hate that store with a passion, they're only out there to rip you off no matter what your budget is. But, because of the huge selection of testable equipment they have, it's a great place to go if you're looking to eff around with stuff.
Quote by sickstring11
And for the love of god, if you go to GC, DON'T GIVE IN TO THE SALESPEOPLE. I hate that store with a passion, they're only out there to rip you off no matter what your budget is. But, because of the huge selection of testable equipment they have, it's a great place to go if you're looking to eff around with stuff.

i totally agree with you, but there the closest to me, and the other guitar store doesn't have as many pedals, and there all locked up... but one good thing is i've gotten to know this one guy in there pretty well, so he doesn't "sell" me stuff anymore, we chat and i check things out then usually i leave without a purchase. LOL.
Quote by stykerwolf
I'd put money towards a new amp if i were you instead of pedals

well i do plan to do that too, i have a fairly decent idea of what i want for an amp.
Quote by sickstring11

I hate to de-rail a thread, but is my Guitar Center the only good one in existence or something? Because whenever I got there I tell them what I'm looking for, or I ask to try something out, and they help me find it and let me test things out. No one has ever told me what to buy or tried to make me test something out. The closest I've came to that is one guy showed me where they had a couple more used amps so I could try them out, and then he checked in the back to see if they had anything else that wasn't out on the floor.
Quote by Kcintlob
I hate to de-rail a thread, but is my Guitar Center the only good one in existence or something? Because whenever I got there I tell them what I'm looking for, or I ask to try something out, and they help me find it and let me test things out. No one has ever told me what to buy or tried to make me test something out. The closest I've came to that is one guy showed me where they had a couple more used amps so I could try them out, and then he checked in the back to see if they had anything else that wasn't out on the floor.

Well, I bought an Epi Les Paul from them about 2 years ago. I put it on layaway, and was making payments, and then they sold it on me. So I go in to make the final payment and find this out, but it's no big deal they said, we'll just give you one from the storage room. It turned out to have a bunch of intonation problems because the neck was warped, it had wiring problems so the pickups didn't work, and once they fixed that the pickups just sounded weak and buzzed randomly. They wouldn't take it back. $700 down the drain. Ended up selling it for $180, nobody would buy it. They also told me that the $700 price tag was on clearance, from the listed $1200. I was a newbie back then, and believed them. Yeah they sell brand new for $600 now. $1200 is MSRP.
Quote by Kcintlob

no dude, i totally love my guitar center, but i have heard horror stories, and seen it first hand with other GC's at first i was aprehensive with mine because there are a couple sales guys there, especially when i ask about guitars. but after i started going a lot more i got to know several guys, and i only go to them when i go in, i know who's a cool guy, laid back, isn't pushy, and knows what the hell there talking about. it can get bad because these guys are paid on commission but most of the time it isn't. i was talking mainly about a guy in accessories i know that i will ask about set up and testing pedals because he won't push me into buying any, however i know several guys who will.

example: one time i was there i needed all the electronics/bridge/pickguard for a strat, and i was just going there to get a price estimate. i told them what i wanted the guy started pulling everything off the rack and setting it on the counter in front of me, at the end he was like this is how much what do you want to pay with, i was like dude i told you i just wanted a price check i was just looking not buying, and this dude FLIPPED out on me... then another guy came over made him go away and helped me gave me a little receipt with a total on it and he was cool about it. that other guy doesn't work there anymore.....
I guess I'm just lucky, all the people at my local store a little older (youngest around late 20s) and they all are really helpful and know what they were talking about. Plus, there doesn't seem to be any crazy employees there. haha
I recommend slowly buying single pedals instead of a MultiFX. People always tell me why don't you just get a multiFX as its easier. Its really annoying but the truth is, there are some combinations that are impossible with a multifx or really hard. Things like delay tricks and oscillation just work better with single pedals, furthermore the sound is also superior and more FINE tuneable in single pedals.

As for brands I would say avoid BOSS, unless you are getting a multiFX. My favorite brand is Electro Harmonix, but then again I like unique sounding stuff which they are really good at. They are good to create a sig sound if I may put it that way. Depending on what you want different pedals are suitable. For me the most useful things I use are two delays. YOu can make some really weird stuff with those, and then the Electro Harmonix Ring thing, which is perhaps one, if not the weirdest pedal in the market.
If you are set on multi Fx and can get a pod XT live used, I say go for that instead. The fx on the XT are awesome, and the amp simulation is top notch.
cool, i'll look into that too.
Quote by nyandres
If you are set on multi Fx and can get a pod XT live used, I say go for that instead. The fx on the XT are awesome, and the amp simulation is top notch.

i like this one, but it's pretty far out of my price range
I bought a Digitech Rp-355 because I was just wanting to mess around with some of the effects, and for the most part I am glad I did buy it. Most of the effects are good, and cleans are good too, but do NOT buy it for the distortion. And, to me it seems multi-effects kind of suck the tone out of my amp, so I don't use it with my Marshall anymore.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)