What are the benfits of a half stack compared to a combo amp
The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix
well other then that, is there a sound difference
The time I burned my guitar it was like a sacrifice. You sacrifice the things you love. I love my guitar.
Jimi Hendrix
Badass factor, little bit fuller sound, more tonal options (cabs, instead of having to change speakers), cheaper if you plan on buying more than just a couple heads.
Quote by Tone Deaf
Someone has had too much jager in their slushy. :/
Quote by CL/\SH
First person on UG to be a grammar nazi and use the correct form of "your" in the correct context.

+ 70 virgins to you, my good sir.

Quote by Fassa Albrecht
Girls DO fap...I don't though.
Yes, there is a sound difference. It's a hell of a lot louder.
ಥ_ಥ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ೃ ·ಏ· ಢ_ಢ

E-Married to the sexy DarkConcertine

and Jon777 .

Ehh, the sound itself depends on the speakers in the cabinet and the construction/material the cabinet is made of. The sound may seem louder and more full just because there are more speakers(if you are speaking of a 412 cabinet). Also they usually have more bass than small combo amps. You also get several recording advantages. You could have your amp head in the recording room with you, and the cab in another room so you can tweak the amp's settings without getting up.

EDIT: Also because 4x12 cabinets have more speakers you can play higher wattage amplifier through them.
Last edited by XxIRONxMAIDENxX at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by jimmypage577
well other then that, is there a sound difference

depending on what cab you plug the head into sure. cabs and speakers have different qualities/downfalls. open back, closed back, ported...

portability is another difference.

the ability to connect to different cabs on the fly.

but most combos can be connected to different external speaker cabs too.

combos are typically open back, some aren't like the 6505+112 combo or h&k edition tube, but most are.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
The bigger cab means that you'll have better sound dispersion and the low-end will be stronger, while still being controllable - so it doesn't get muddy.

That is, if the halfstack is a good one. If it's crap, it'll sound like crap.
Quote by mcjosh
Yes, there is a sound difference. It's a hell of a lot louder.

Nope. That depends on wattage, speaker efficiency, the amp's EQ curve, etc. More speakers doesn't necessarily mean louder. it especially doesn't mean "hell of a lot" louder.
thnks so pretty much its more portable and easier to move around with a better tone usally, also do half stacks cost more or less then combo
Jimi Hendrix
When making these comparisons there are too many variables to get conclusive answers. We would need to know a lot more information from you about what you play and where you play it to make this thread worthwhile. There are also space, weight, and flexibility considerations.

I was going to link you to this as it has some good basic info but I didn't want to be a prick so I'll do it anyway:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/announcement.php?f=33&announcementid=150

Oh, and you could run a 4x12 speaker cabinet to most Combo's.
thnks 311ZOSOVHJH there alot of info there ill look into it all
Jimi Hendrix
Quote by jimmypage577
thnks 311ZOSOVHJH there alot of info there ill look into it all

Ok man.

If after searching around a bit things are still not clear feel free to post, PM, whatever. Sorry to hear about your Spider as well.

I think what you really want to do is start a new thread (flameshield) and ask for some New Amp Help. NAH, I call it.

provide:

Budget:
New or Used:
Home or Gig:
Current Gear:
Closest City:

and we can help
Upside: Bigger sound, often a fair bit louder, gives you flexibility.

Downside: Heavy, awkward, impossible to transport without a van/large car, poor value compared to similarly priced combos

Pesonally, I think head+2x12 is the perfect gigging rig for most bands.
I think the biggest advantage is you can get a speaker cabinet that is of FAR FAR FAR higher quality, you are not stuck to the cab thats built to the amp. Port city wave, mills acoustics and freda cabs will sound a million times better than the speaker performance in a combo amp. And portability does not need to be a disadvantage as there always are 1x12 and 2x12 cabs
Ok, Slight threadjack, but it's pretty much the same question and there would be no point in setting up another thread for it.

I plan on buying a Bugera 333XL soon, and am wondering if it would be any better to buy the Head + a cheap 212 cab, or just the 212 combo. It would cost a lot more so I'm not sure if it is worth it...

Sorry!
The combo will be a better value to start, but the head and cab will be a better value in the long run. I am using a 333xl with a port City Wave cabine and the difference in sound with the port city cab is immense
More speakers does not make it louder. It does however push more air making it more fuller sounding.
If the debate is between a 1x12 combo and a head + 1x12 cab, there are strong arguments that could be made for both. The biggest thing that the combo has going for it is portability.

When you get into 2x12 combos vs. a head + 2x12 cab, you're usually better off getting the 2nd option. A 2x12 combo is a LOT heavier and therefore less portable than a lot of people think. When you get into the various cabinet switching options, etc., then the combo becomes a lot less attractive.

Pretty much the only reason I opted for my VHT combo over a head + 2x12 is because I got a ridiculously good deal on it, and because VHT actually uses speakers that are purpose-built for their amps (in my case, the P-75s).
Ibanez RGA121 | ESP LTD H-1000
Axe-FX Standard
Combos can have more of a room-filling sound because of the open back, whereas most cabs are closed and the sound is much more directional. Tubes in a combo take more of a beating than tubes in a head because of all the vibration.

I originally pooh-poohed the weight factor in a combo, but after getting in a band and porting just a small vibro champ to start with, I became very concerned about being able to lug stuff up & down stairs without killing myself. I'd rather make two trips with a head & cab. (Thus I am UG's 7th (?) Jet City Fan!) Plus, depending on where & what you are doing, you can just leave the cab if it's in a semi permanent location and just carry the head back & forth. ('Cause you'll leave the heavy 4x12 at the jam spot and keep a 1x12 at home for practice.)
Water which is too pure has no fish - Ts'ai Ken T'an
I went with a 1x12 50 watt Tube combo and I'm not looking back. Plenty of sound, and with portability to boot.
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
The main advantage of a half stack is the workout you get when taking it to gigs and rehearsals. It really works your biceps and lower back muscles getting a 70KG oversized ENGL Cab up a flight of stairs

Other than that I would say that the bass can be a lot more defined and the "Fuller" sound you get from using a good 412 cab.
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
One reason I went for a Head is allot of places have speaker cabs on site to gig with. If that is the case, you then have the option to just bring your head to the gig.

It is also fun to simply plug in other cabs, to see how they sound with your amp. Much easier than finding a speaker to test out, by installing it in a combo.

Various cabs will be around to to test out in your guitar journey.