well im looking at buying the Jet city JCA20H head, but was wondering if there was a less expensive alternative to their cab.
Does not have to be tube, just has to sound good.
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII
Quote by rushpython
well im looking at buying the Jet city JCA20H head, but was wondering if there was a less expensive alternative to their cab.
Any 12ax7 based cab will sound good for rock. 6550 based cabs are best for metal. Don't buy a SS cab, they're for poor people and sound too buzzy. Shell out for the tubes.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by al112987
Any 12ax7 based cab will sound good for rock. 6550 based cabs are best for metal. Don't buy a SS cab, they're too buzzy. Shell out for the tubes.

Not really, 6550 tubes are known for their american tone, and low end. but i find the low end to be too tight with closed back cabinets, i would go for a EL84 based cab, sure it's noisy higher on the volume, but it's got that amazing british vibe to it.
Quote by al112987
Any 12ax7 based cab will sound good for rock. 6550 based cabs are best for metal. Don't buy a SS cab, they're too buzzy. Shell out for the tubes.

+1 I prefer 6L6s in my cabs, but that's just personal preference.

(TS - Cabs are just speakers in a box; there's no such thing as a 'tube cab.' These guys are just joking around, eventually they would have told you this. Eventually.)
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
nice trolling, guys

anyway, seriously, the epiphone valve junior cab is pretty nice for the price, depending on where you are. Ideally could use a speaker swap (though the stock speaker is very nice for the price point, just it's very mellow and vintage-sounding, which may or may not be what you want), advantage being you can tune the speaker you get to what you want.

that's going to be one heck of a colour clash, though, just don't let lawrence llewellyn-bowen see it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, don't make the same mistake I made TS when I started out. I bought an Avatar amp only to find out it was only a cab. Needless to say I spent quite a bit 'upgrading' it.

That was a joke. I did a massive NAD trolling job on UG when I got my Splawn amp.

VJ cab is a good idea, as is an Avatar 112, Blackstar cab maybe, Laney 112, used cab, etc
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by rushpython

In case you were wondering, they're all fucking with you. There is no such thing as a tube or solid state cab. They're all just boxes with a speaker inside.

Don't cheap out on the cab. A poorly made cab with a bad speaker will sound bad.
i feel trolled
thanks for the advise though
Survivor of:
Maryland Deathfest X
Maryland Deathfest XI
Maryland Deathfest XII