Hey guys. I've recently been in the market for a new guitar. I'm not buying the guitar yet but in a couple of months while I sell and retrieve the money.

I have been looking at the Ibanez S420 http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/84780

And the ESP EC-401 http://www.thomann.de/gb/esp_ltd_ec500_bk.htm

I play Metal and it varies from As I Lay Dying type Metalcore stuff to Iron Maiden and Power Metal stuff. What would the versatility be like?

I'm also planning on buying a Bugera 6262/333XL as well.

Which guitar is better for what I do? and why?
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Dude... these guitars are on completely different ends of the spectrum concerning feel, tone and features.

This is like comparing plum-pudding with a drill-press.

Either will work for metal. In fact, I'd say the Ltd won't work for anything but metal, because of the pickups. They're suitable for metalcore, but I'd rather have passive pups for most power metal. I mean you can use EMGs for music that is more tame than metalcore, but it's kinda like using a Porsche at a tractor-pulling contest.
It's neck is of average thickness, but upper fret-access is limited.

The Ibanez has pretty crappy pups (they're okay considering it's price and features but I'd rather have something else), but because of it's HSH configuration, it's a lot more versatile than the Ltd.
It's neck is very slim, which metal players often like, but it's not for everyone.
It also has a double locking tremolo. Do you need one of those? If you don't know, you probably don't need it.

Both guitars are of good quality, the prices, imo, are fair.

But seriously - these guitars have nothing in common. If you can't tell which would work for you better, you need to spend a lot more time trying out guitars.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Aug 25, 2010,
Yeah I know, but I've spent time on the forums and I think Holy Cow recommended the LTD but I played the Ibanez a couple of weeks ago and was very impressed. So I was wondering what UG thought, I know they are totally different.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
If you liked the Ibanez, then that's all that matters.
It's also a bit cheaper than the Ltd, so you could swap the pups with the money you'd save.

Try out more and different guitars though, if at all possible.
What could I be going for then?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Basically anything with a humbucker in the bridge position. I like HSS and HSH guitars for their versatility, but I don't know if you'd even need that. Typically, metalcore guitarists use instruments with set-necks and active pickups, like the Ltd. The Ltd and Schecter ranges of guitars have a lot of models that fit the bill. The construction and timbers used lead to fat tone with plenty of bottom end.

The Ibanez (and similar guitars) have a bolt-on neck and generally provide a brighter tone than for example the Ltd - which is neither better nor worse, it's just a matter of taste. Comparable guitars would be Jacksons, Charvels and in some cases Fenders.

But really, anything with a humbucker in the bridge is worth a look. Keep in mind that quality has a price and that a 50€ guitar probably isn't the best idea and you'll be fine.

It also depends on how much cash you're willing to spend. Imo it's worth it to save up and get something nice like a Prestige Ibanez.
How much would a prestige Ibanez be?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
They start around $800 with this model:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG1451-Prestige-Electric-Guitar?sku=584128

You can get guitars with flame tops, prettier inlays and whatnot for the same price, but this thing is the best guitar concerning build-quality in it's price range. I haven't played a Prestige Ibby that I didn't like.

If you want one with a trem, you'll have to pay more. The RG1570 is the cheapest one with a trem, it's around $900 if I'm not mistaken. Anything above that just has different cosmetics.

You can pick them up used, they're pretty popular and good deals are easy to find. Also older models, before the Prestige line was introduced are worth a look. The RG550, 570 and 770 spring to mind.
Ouch, the thing is though. I was really after an S shape and I've converted the prices in UK money and it's about £1,200 starting off price. I couldn't afford that if I was needing a guitar urgently.

So would an S770 do? I've seen one of those going really cheaply.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
S770 is an older model from the '80s or '90s, right? They're comparable in quality to the Prestige line (if I'm not mistaking it for another guitar). If it is what I think it is, it's a damn nice guitar and worth every penny.
Is it? I thought it was like a new release cause it's got 24 frets and a flame maple finish.

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Ibanez-S770FM-Electric-Guitar-Antique-Flat/CC9

Was wondering if it was worth the extra money.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Oh, that one is indeed new. Looks much like the 670... in fact, seems like all they changed is the name.

Anyway, it's timbers and pickups are not as nice as with a Prestige, but it's a very well-made guitar nonetheless. It's worth pointing out that it's one of the few guitars in this price range with a good double locking tremolo.

I have tried the 670, 470 and 320, which are basically the same and liked them a lot. Nice guitar, with potential to be a great guitar once you swap the pups. I'd definitely recommend that.
Okies. Thanks Quailman, you give good advice.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
maybe u should give the epiphone goth les paul standard a look, they are around $350 they have a set neck, look metal and they are rock solid, if u dont like the pups u can swap them out for emgs or something that is capable of more distortion. i think that would be the best thing because with the $450 u save u can modify it any way u like.
I wouldn't touch any Epi LP below the Standard, honestly. At least not without checking it out personally first. Epi's quality control is all over the place. That doesn't mean they don't make nice guitars - they just also make a lot of crappy ones, too.
True, I've never liked Epi. :-(
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
They're not all bad... I have an old MIK one which I hold dear (even though I need to rip out the entire electronics and get some new pots and pups in there). But when they moved the production to China in '04 or so, quality went down the toilet. They have been getting better with time, but they're still not as good as they used to be and they put out a lot of turds still.
how did that sausage thing with sarah palin go? quail?

TS,the Quailman has told you everything there is to tell...so a plus one to all of his posts
Quote by TheQuailman
^Maybe you'll find out in Greg's next installement. I'm not saying a word.

ah so its like an episode series season thingy eh?what are you gonna call it?eastenders?
Quote by TheQuailman
Dunno, check the WTLT thread, he announced more episodes. Also, we probably should stop spamming this thread.

ahaha ok ok

@TS,try out a bunch of other ibanez's aswell....for the price of a s770 you could get a USED MIJ RG550 or something
It's ok about spamming this thread. I've done it too others xD.

Anyway. Thing is. I've never been a fan of RG's. Just found the body so heavy. So that's why I've been gassing for an S series for SO LONG.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Plus they have really thin bodies. I think that's my attraction (for lack of a better word) to those guitars.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Exactly, but I was thinking of going for an 80's Charvel. A lot of them seem to be on ebay. Are they any good?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I have not played a Charvel, but I like the looks.

Charvel's one of the big superstrat manufacturers of the '80s, so the guitars should be nice. i don't know anything specific though. Wait for someone more knowledgeable to show up.
Quote by Fisheth24
Exactly, but I was thinking of going for an 80's Charvel. A lot of them seem to be on ebay. Are they any good?

Depends on what charvel you're looking at, but most are great guitars! I'm a Kramer fan too. keep an eye out for a 3000 series Kramer they are great for the price.
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
How much we talking about a 3000 Kramer?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
i recently played the epi goth lp standard and i loved it, it felt very well built and with new pickups it could scream