I'm building yet another Charvel SanDimas style guitar and I want a Floyd Rose style bridge. Last year I purchased a German made Original Floyd Rose for another project and I'm happy with the German Floyd but it was $180 and it's just average. The trem block is small and while the quality is good there is nothing really special about it. I'm not concerned with period correctness for the new guitar. I'm planning on playing the heck out of it so I just want something that sounds good and lasts. Cost isn't a big factor but the GraphTech Floyd is about $60 cheaper and it has string save saddles. Anyone have any experience with these bridges. I know you all have an opinion so lets hear them.

Thanks,

Bob
never tried them- i'd want to see pics of the sustain block and be sure the knife edges are solid steel.

Depending on how cheap you can get it, the gotoh one is very nice- it has a pretty big brass sustain block (bigger than the ofr one, i think, but i'm not certain), and in europe it's a lot cheaper than the ofr, but it might not be so much cheaper in the US. it's the ge1996t model (just to make sure you're looking at the right one).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The Graphtech one looks an awful lot like a Gotoh.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Thanks Dave_Mc.

I haven't seen the trem block for the GraphTechs but I can't imagine they could be smaller than the OFR. The GraphTechs have a push in bar that I would prefer over the ever falling out screw in style on the OFRs. The GraphTech site talk about sound quality so at least they've considered how the thing will sound! Of course the GT selling point is the graphite saddle inserts which seem like an interesting idea.

Quote by oneblackened

Hmmmm. interesting.

When I purchased the German Floyd last year I took it out of the box and was underwhelmed. It's okay but I was thinking this is what all the fuss is over?
Last edited by BobDetroit at Aug 25, 2010,
^^ yeah that's what i thought initially, but it's also noticeably different in several places. I mean, the musicman one is identical to the gotoh one, apart from the brand name on it, for example. That doesn't mean gotoh doesn't make the graphtech one, of course, but I'm just pointing out that clearly gotoh is willing to make for third parties where the trem is identical to its own-branded one.

^ aye. I have no idea EDIT: do you have a link to where it says about the tone? I found it on the graphtech site but it doesn't say anything about it at all
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by oneblackened

I was thinking that too... uses the Gotoh/Edge style saddles. I also agree with Dave; the Gotoh are a great value for the money, though these Graphtech Floyds are intriguing since they're not much more. Though how much are the saddles by themselves? You may be better off seeing if you can get the saddles separate and installing them onto a Gotoh if you wind up having issues with it, and Gotoh includes their great locking posts, whereas it does not appear Graphtech includes any other hardware.

EDIT: It does look different in some spots doesn't it? I think some Jacksons still use that style of saddle even though Gotoh no longer makes their licensed trems (that I know of). So it might be someone else. I have no idea who might make Graphtech's hardware in general either.

EDIT 2: Correction: It was Takeuchi that used to make some of the old Jackson JT580s, not Gotoh.
Last edited by CJRocker at Aug 26, 2010,
thanks I thought mandelson was the slipperiest substance on earth, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Never touched a graphtec 'floyd', but I feel the Gotohs are superior to the current OFRs being made. Even the true German ones have let the QC slip quite a bit.....so much so that Suhr abandoned using them as they had to tweak almost every one to bring them up to standards. They now use Gotohs....