All i'm currently using is my Ibanez SA-160 (with a dimarzio superdistortion if that matters) and my Laney LX120rh halfstack. I have a digitech rp-150 but i'm not using that anymore...

I play in a coverband that covers rock and pop music. Some examples:
Anouk - Girl/Nobody's wife
Liquido - Narcotic
3 Doors down - Kryptonite
That kind of stuff.

Now, my clean sound is good (imo), but i'm not completely satisfied with my distorted sound. The only distortion I use at the moment is the distortion channel on the amp. I know my guitar itself has a pretty trebly sound, but what can i do to get a fuller tone out of this set-up without getting it muddy or shipping my guitar/amp out the door?

So what is the biggest problem? My EQ'ing or the distortion? Or is this just the tone I'll get with this guitar?

Note: Just tell me what you think, don't command me to get a complete new rig since I can't do that atm (still in school).
Gear:

Ibanez SA-160 (with Dimarzio super distortion)
Laney LX120 halfstack

Quote by ethan_hanus
Spent 5 hours innotating it, I know it's correct.
No you don't!
First things first. What are your EQ Settings?

Secondly, is the amplifier a tube amp?
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
I used to own an RP250.

I would get a new amp if you don't like the disti on the one you have. Sorry. Personally, I don't think the distortion is all that good on either of those 2 pieces of gear you are using. Yes for cleans and delay and recording the RP was nice.
I'm a huge Laney fanatic. That being said...my experience is with their tube products.
Not sure about the solid state gear. When I jam through solid state amps I find that I always end up boosting Low and mid frequencies and slightly roll back the treble, which I find to be quite harsh on most SS amps. I know a lot of guys like to roll the mids down but I find it thickens the tone on SS amps to boost it a little bit.
When I owned a Peavey SS amp I used to put a Tubeworks Tube driver in front of it and I remember that being an ok tone.
It's all in the EQ really. As was posted earlier, bring up your mids and lows a bit while cutting back on the treble a little. Also, try and EQ at band practice if you can.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
Cheap crappy solidstate amp?

To be fair those kind of amps have decent enough distortion if you like aggressive, bright, raw sounds, but will sound like crap for crunch and mid gain. The cheap speakers in them also a mjor part of the problem.
Thin distortion from my experience is just a characteristic of the laney LX series. I once had to gig with one of the smaller ones and i needed the bass at 10 at all times... and the treble very very low.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
@Kyle: I know it isn't a $2000 amp, but having a car while still in school won't really let yourself save up money for that kind of amps.. I'm just trying to get the best out of what i have at the moment.

Quote by django335
I'm a huge Laney fanatic. That being said...my experience is with their tube products.
Not sure about the solid state gear. When I jam through solid state amps I find that I always end up boosting Low and mid frequencies and slightly roll back the treble, which I find to be quite harsh on most SS amps. I know a lot of guys like to roll the mids down but I find it thickens the tone on SS amps to boost it a little bit.
When I owned a Peavey SS amp I used to put a Tubeworks Tube driver in front of it and I remember that being an ok tone.

Thanks for the help so far.

So am I doing it right when i (in a range of 1-10) put everything on 5. Then boost the mids to about 7, roll back some treble till it stops sounding too harsh and then boost up the lows till right before it gets muddy? Is that the way to get the max out of it?

I'm also planning to buy a stompbox soon for some higher gain stuff (Metallica for example). As the distortion on this amp isn't very high gain, should i buy a overdrive to boost this distortion up a bit? Or does that only work well with tube-amps? Or should i just buy a high gain distortion pedal to use over the clean channel?
Gear:

Ibanez SA-160 (with Dimarzio super distortion)
Laney LX120 halfstack

Quote by ethan_hanus
Spent 5 hours innotating it, I know it's correct.
No you don't!
As far as I know, boosting a solid state amp will only make the signal slightly louder, while in a valve-preamp it will help drive the valves into distortion.

My advice, in lack of a nice valve-amp, is to get a GOOD distortion pedal. Ideally one you can test with your own amp before you buy it to make sure it makes a good match. There are quite a bit of crappy ones so make sure you test it or at least read some reviews before purchase. A small hint is also to stay clear of anything with 'metal' in it's name.
My gear:
Ibanez RG 570 w. Irongear pickups
Tokai EX-55 Korina Explorer
Laney VC50 w. Eminence speakers
Digitech Bad Monkey
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
ISP Decimator
Roland Cube 20X
BC Rich Bronze Series Warlock
@Sido
Yes that sounds about right. Of course all amps are voiced a bit differently. Listen close to how that mid range changes as you move the control. You want to find the sweet spot. And the most important thing is to back off the treble.
I agree that a nice distortion pedal would be good...that's what I found with the tube driver I used to have..but I now tend to like overdrive units.
Good luck!