Page 1 of 2
I don't know whether to think this is awesome or think that it is going to end up like a corrupt version of Minority report.

A new piece of software has been developed which uses a set of algorithms to predict possible future crimes by people on probation or parole. It is hoped that the technology will help in setting bail conditions, level and type of supervision given by probation officers and even bail bond amounts.

I honestly can't see how a piece of impersonal software is going to replace the personal and human judgement of a probation officer. Plus it only can be used in the cases of those who already have criminal records (and many people who end up on probation are first-time offenders).

Article (ABC News)

Opinions?
I predict that if I leave the bank vault unlocked and unguarded there will be a robbery
Quote by Kumanji
How about you don't insult my friend's dead mum, you prick.

Quote by JDawg
Too be he had to be a dick about his crayons.
-.-
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Dammit Fassa I was going to post this story
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
The Pit is paranoid today.
Interesting.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Old, but interesting.

Minority Report was a damn good movie, but if that were real life, I would be very scared.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
I predict that if I give a child a loaded gun there will be a shooting
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
That's ****in' stupid. Why do you guys keep giving me reasons to be paranoid?
Balls.
Quote by archangels
This + That + This other thing = I think I'm going to start stocking up on guns pretty soon.

Me too

Today has been an interesting paranoid day on the Pit.

I dub this day, Day of Interesting Paranoia.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
So basically more people are gonna get arrested.
Because "the computer said so".

Right.
Follow the smoke toward the riff filled land
brutal
Quote by valdean
So basically more people are gonna get arrested.
Because "the computer said so".

Right.

Read the article.
This software will probably be a complete flop. Has fail written all over it.
speeed killz
I really don't think anything will come from this.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by rmr024
That's ****in' stupid. Why do you guys keep giving me reasons to be paranoid?

Unless you're on parole for murder, you have nothing to worry about.

That said, I don't agree with using software to determine whether someone will reoffend. But personal evaluation by overworked, underpaid parole officers isn't necessarily much better.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
Unless you're on parole for murder, you have nothing to worry about.

That said, I don't agree with using software to determine whether someone will reoffend. But personal evaluation by overworked, underpaid parole officers isn't necessarily much better.

A parole or probation officer is much better. A computer is merely feeding inputted data through a programmed system. An actual human can take into account the offender's personality, things said when they've actually spoken to the offenders and other factors which cannot be picked up on a computer.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
A parole or probation officer is much better. A computer is merely feeding inputted data through a programmed system. An actual human can take into account the offender's personality, things said when they've actually spoken to the offenders and other factors which cannot be picked up on a computer.

They will get some wrong though. So will the software. Use whichever makes the fewest mistakes. Or perhaps a combination of the two.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Last edited by Meths at Aug 25, 2010,
I though it said 'time' not 'crime'

I was like this software will tell us everything that will happen :wf:
Quote by Meths
They will get some wrong though. So will the software. Use whichever makes the fewest mistakes. :shrugs: Or perhaps a combination of the two.

Thing is that if a human makes a mistake, you can talk to them, find out why they made that error and then correct it.

Thing is that computers are as good as their programming, and they are basically following a narrow set of instructions put into their code. Unlike humans, a computer has no ability to think and problem-solve, or change certain rules based on the information.
Quote by BuckinFuffalo
I though it said 'time' not 'crime'

I was like this software will tell us everything that will happen :wf:

I can predict time: in exactly 2 minutes from posting this it will be 19:48 here.

I basically agree with meths on this, it should be used in conjunction with parole officers or perhaps only when the criminal has a very high result for likelihood of re-offending.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Sounds about right^
Quote by archangels
This + That + This other thing = I think I'm going to start stocking up on guns pretty soon.

WTF?!
Impossible is just a word people say to make themselves feel better when they quit.
Vyse the Legend
Quote by metallicafan616
I can predict time: in exactly 2 minutes from posting this it will be 19:48 here.

I basically agree with meths on this, it should be used in conjunction with parole officers or perhaps only when the criminal has a very high result for likelihood of re-offending.

If a person is at a high risk of reoffending, chances are a probation officer will pick up on this and give more monitoring to that person.
Quote by RubberPuppiessu
I predict that if I leave the bank vault unlocked and unguarded there will be a robbery

i doubt it, i think someone would just take the money.
Quote by Meths

I don't think any words should be censored.

Especially faggot since homos aren't real people and all.

Quote by sam b
Man City wont win anything and finish below Arsenal.

city: 3rd + FA cup winners.
arsenal: 4th
This is beyond retarded.
Why don't we just employ gypsies with crystal balls while we're at it?
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by BeefWellington
This is beyond retarded.

Pfft, pretty much. The coding for the program is probably this:

intHighNumber = 100
intLowNumber = 1
For i = 1 to 5
    Randomize
    intNumber = Int((intHighNumber - intLowNumber + 1) * Rnd + intLowNumber)
    Wscript.Echo intNumber
Next

(Random number generator, in VBS coding. In case you cared.)

If the average of the numbers in anywhere between 21 and 25, they'll most likely be a murderer.

It's flawless.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
If a person is at a high risk of reoffending, chances are a probation officer will pick up on this and give more monitoring to that person.

Which is belied by our absurdly high reoffending rate.

Quote by BeefWellington
This is beyond retarded.

Gypsies aren't quite so good at statistics and probability.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by Jackal58
The Pit is paranoid today.
Interesting.

The pit fluxates between different mental illnesses if you watch how people react.
It didn't take long to realise
The safest place was not her arms, but her eyes
Where she can't see you
For her gaze, it blisters;
Grey skin to cinders
At least a computer program doesn't get drunk on the job and take bribe. (yet...)
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Meths
Which is belied by our absurdly high reoffending rate.

The re-offending rate is dependant on more than just probation officers. Not everyone who is sentenced by the court system ends up in the probation system, and probation officers can't see into the future even for those who DO end up into the system.

It's a hard enough job in the first place to deal with probation cases without making it any harder.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
The re-offending rate is dependant on more than just probation officers. Not everyone who is sentenced by the court system ends up in the probation system, and probation officers can't see into the future even for those who DO end up into the system.

It's a hard enough job in the first place to deal with probation cases without making it any harder.

Who's making it harder? But point conceded. I blame prison personally, although I doubt you will.

The pit fluxates between different mental illnesses if you watch how people react.

...Really? That's how you think "fluctuates" is spelt?

Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
Who's making it harder? But point conceded. I blame prison personally, although I doubt you will.

Actually I do blame prison. They're underfunded and understaffed, and a lot of prisoners, including those who need educational help or mental health treatment, simply don't get help they need, and so the factors which led them to offend in the first place aren't dealt with, and so the chances they'll reoffend is pretty much certain.

Stuff like this software is little better than a random number generator and isn't going to help anyone.
Quote by Bearded_Seth
Why should we be scared of this? I'm not a convicted criminal nor am I planning to be one.

Knowing my luck, I'll end up with a criminal record of some sort...
Page 1 of 2