Hey ladies and gentz

im new here...just want some opinions.

I've been playing guitar for about 2 months now....in these two months ive had a blast playing this masterpiece of an instrument.

What i've learned so far

Chords (including F chord..suprisingly on my first try i got.)
Pentatonic Scale (minor).
Chord changes..but still kinda slow at it.
basic strumming patterns..but im not to focused on that.(i know i should be tho).

Now my questions:

What can i do to speed up my chord changes? I use 1 min changes...which is working for me..but again i would love opinions..maybe there's something better.

second

Now that i learned the pentatonic scale...what can i do with it? a lot of ppl tell me they can improvise with this scale...so i need some suggestions.

and

What are some easy songs to play as a beginner (including solos)...i covered my first song. Seven nation army..haha.

Thanks pplz
I think this should be in the guitar tech section but maybe learn barre chords and how to move them around...sure you can improvise over the minor pentatonic,that's the basis for a lot of guitar solos...I don't really know what a 1min chord change is...just keep at it don't try to take on too much at one and have fun...
Fender 70s Ri Strats w/various Dimarzios
Modded 1982 Marshall JCM800 2203

Boss DS-1,Dunlop Crybaby,MXR Phase 90,Ibanez AD9,Boss CH-1

Check out randy dobsons underground ,tell me what you think
Ya a lot of ppl are telling me about barre chords...can you give me some examples of what barre chords does...like what songs use barre chords?? 1 min change is something i learned..i pick 2 chords to play and i play them for 1 min...i keep a log to see if the speed has picked up...so far..it's working for me..but again just like hearing what ppl use.
You can use Barre chords to play pretty much any song, very easy to build basic chords on those.
And for changing chord faster, it's all about muscle memory. Place your fingers on the right positions as slow as you like, make sure each and every single necessary note rings out perfectly clean, then just as slowly, move for the 2nd one. There's no easy way out of this, you just gotta repeat it over and over and over (at the speed you can do it perfectly)
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
really barre chords is really that important?? damn i got to get right on it...thx lewadra...any other suggestions..on what i should learn next?
Quote by lakersbigboi7
really barre chords is really that important?? damn i got to get right on it...thx lewadra...any other suggestions..on what i should learn next?

guitar playing is a serious investment of time there are no shortcuts. 2 months is nothing and you can't expect much in that amount of time.

as for barre chords well yeah they are the foundation of a great deal of rock music. think Black Sabbath's Iron Man if you need an example. learn your chords and barre chords before you worry about scales and songs for that matter. once you have your chords reasonably down then you'll be able to play songs.

once again i'll stress that learning guitar is a lifetime thing and not something that you can pick up and be really good at in a few months. i've been playing for over 30 years and still have a long way to go before i consider myself to be great at it.
Respect Monwobobbo...I absolutely admire ppl who have been playing for decades..and i know this is not an instrument that can perfected in a month or two of even in a year...that's why im putting all my time and effort into it. I just need to be pointed in the right direction..and im willing to put in the work..im 21 and im so mad at myself for not learning this instrument a long time ago..but im doing it now..and im glad.

let me ask you this..whats the difference between Barre Chords and Power Chords?..i see a lot of ppl playing Iron Man on youtube..and they're always using power chords
Last edited by lakersbigboi7 at Aug 25, 2010,
A powerchord consists of just 3 notes (of a major, minor or whatever chord), the root note, the fifth note and the octave.
Like:
E Powerchord, you play the 7th fret of the A string, the 9th fret of the D string and the 9th fret of the G string, whereas if you were to play a E major with barre, you'd IN ADDITION to those 3, play the 9th fret of the B string and the 7th fret of the high E string.

In other words, powerchords are just "simplified" barrechords, extremely popular in rock/metal/etc.

EDIT. Maybe a tab helps understand this:

E Powerchord:
e-----------------
B-----------------
G---9-------------
D---9-------------
A---7-------------
E-----------------

E major (barre from the 7th fret):
e---7------------- (these 2
B---9------------- strings are now played as well)
G---9-------------
D---9-------------
A---7-------------
E-----------------

Or another example, A powerchord and major barre:
A Powerchord :
e-----------------
B-----------------
G-----------------
D----7------------
A----7------------
E----5------------

A Major:
e---5------------- (Again, more notes in addition
B---5------------- to those you play in the powerchord)
G---6-------------
D---7-------------
A---7-------------
E---5-------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
Last edited by Lewadra at Aug 25, 2010,