Below the speed limit? Too slow. Above it? Too fast. Enjoy your ticket.

Page 1 of 3
http://www.koat.com/r/24702883/detail.html

BELEN, N.M. -- A Valencia County woman who was pulled over for driving too slow said state police went too far. Jeanette Sedillo said was driving on Reinken Road in Belen, N.M., after 10 p.m. Wednesday when a state police officer pulled beside her and told her to get off the road. Sedillo pulled into a parking lot, questioning what she did wrong. Apparently, going too fast was not the problem: the officer wrote her a ticket for driving 6 mph under the speed limit. "He said, 'You were going 34 in a 40,'" said Sedillo. The citation said she violated the statute for minimum speed. Now, she has to pay a $70 fine for what she thought was careful driving. Sedillo said there was little traffic in the area at the time and that she wasn't putting drivers in danger. .

If there really was little traffic, this is ridiculous. Now, I was under the impression that 6mph under the speed limit is perfectly fine and safe, particularly on an empty road. Apparently not.

Any thoughts, Pit? Do you drive below/above/on the speed limit?
I thought in order to be pulled over for going too slow you had to be going slow enough to cause danger to other drivers. I think you can 40 on interstates without getting a ticket, so 34 in a 40 is nothing.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
I would have to file the cops action under "bullshit"
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
6 miles under? You don't get a ticket for that, you get honked at.
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
The officer doesn't understand the meaning of the word "Limit".
Quote by Shredder XXX
how about the way your entire country generalizes a culture by the actions of a few, citing any Americans idea of a middle eastern person.
Quote by Rice_Pilot
I noticed cops generally get pretty lame towards the end of the month.

They have a quota I think. That's why
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
Quote by Rice_Pilot

They have to meet their quotas.
Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who...
Quote by Necrophagist777
I'm ORION, LORD OF EVIL, give me your soul and breathe in my darkness.

YOU WILL NOT ENJOY THIS......
╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮
Quote by Rice_Pilot

They have a quota to reach... they usually have some to make up for at the end of the month so end up being less lenient.

EDIT: Beat... twice!
Quote by 0RI0N
They have to meet their quotas.

In NC, this is an urban legend. Officers are not required to meet a monthly quota of tickets.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Quote by swordsofplague
In NC, this is an urban legend. Officers are not required to meet a monthly quota of tickets.

No it isn't. It's illegal. It's immoral. It's unjustifiable. But it's real.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
What are you guys bitching about?

It's dangerous to drive slow on highways. The police officer was right.
Quote by Palodigon

She wasn't on a highway. The cop was a twat.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Lol, we never have this problem where I live. On the Interstate everyone drives like 75-90 MPH, if I actually went 65 I would probably get run over.

But in town I usually try to stay close to the speed limit, at least if there's traffic around.
Quote by Palodigon

6 miles slower? I can get on a dual carridgeway in the UK, which is 70mph, and drive 50mph and the only thing that would change is that the people behind me would overtake me. She was perfectly within her right to drive at that speed and should challenge it.
Quote by Palodigon

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn189/Saibrock/obvioustroll.jpg
Quote by ratracekid111
And the Tax! Dear God! When I only get one virgin a month, I want the whole freakin' thing! The damn government shouldn't be chopping it in half
Last edited by punkrock4all at Aug 25, 2010,
While people who drive under the speed limit piss me off, that seemed excessive. If she felt she had to slow down because she could not drive safely at 40mph maybe she shouldn't be driving at all though.
Quote by punkrock4all

While I can see you're having trouble with embedding that image file, I don't really see how you could say he was trolling.
On some roads there is a minimum speed limit y'know.

However, 6 miles under the top clearly isn't a minimum limit, so this is just stupid.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
I'd like to see how that cop would handle a traffic jam.
You who build these altars now

To sacrifice these children
You must not do it anymore
Quote by Jackal58
I would have to file the cops action under "bullshit"

+1

Challenge it in court. It's obviously not going to stand up.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Thrill-house
While people who drive under the speed limit piss me off, that seemed excessive. If she felt she had to slow down because she could not drive safely at 40mph maybe she shouldn't be driving at all though.

You do realise it's not 'average' it's a limit. You arn't meant to go as fast as the limit allows at all times, you're meant to go the limit where safe to do so.

Edit: and either way 6mph below isn't in any way a danger or too slow.
Quote by Zoot Allures
You do realise it's not 'average' it's a limit. You arn't meant to go as fast as the limit allows at all times, you're meant to go the limit where safe to do so.

Yes I do realize that. However unless its a twisty mountain road 40mph is not that fast at all, you shouldn't have to slow down to feel safe.
Quote by Thrill-house
Yes I do realize that. However unless its a twisty mountain road 40mph is not that fast at all, you shouldn't have to slow down to feel safe.

There are loads of times when you should back off the speed to be cautious.

Situation, a car is pulling over from the other land, you back off the speed abit because for some reason the other guy is slowing down when changing lane rather than keeping a steady speed.
Quote by element4433
I thought in order to be pulled over for going too slow you had to be going slow enough to cause danger to other drivers. I think you can 40 on interstates without getting a ticket, so 34 in a 40 is nothing.

+1

The limit is 65 in most places and slower traffic should keep right. If she wasn't obstructing anyone then it was unnecessary.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Zoot Allures
There are loads of times when you should back off the speed to be cautious.

Situation, a car is pulling over from the other land, you back off the speed abit because for some reason the other guy is slowing down when changing lane rather than keeping a steady speed.

I don't need a driving lesson. The article said the road was empty therefore driving the limit sounds reasonable to me.
The only reason she could get in trouble is if she was endangering or obstructing other driving. As you said, it was empty. She was causing no such disturbance.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Thrill-house

It wasn't affecting anyone else, so why does it matter?
Wtf, you probably wouldn't even get a ticket for going 6 mph over the limit, here.
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
Quote by Thrill-house
I don't need a driving lesson. The article said the road was empty therefore driving the limit sounds reasonable to me.

I think you do. You drive close to the speed limit as your feel safe about. Normally, this is an average of a 5 mph margin. So 5 miles an hour less than the speed limit. That shounds like what she was trying to achieve. You're the sort of asshole who rams up peoples backs if they're driving slightly slower than the speed limit.
Quote by boreamor
I think you do. You drive close to the speed limit as your feel safe about. Normally, this is an average of a 5 mph margin. So 5 miles an hour less than the speed limit. That shounds like what she was trying to achieve. You're the sort of asshole who rams up peoples backs if they're driving slightly slower than the speed limit.

No I'm not, I drive 40+ hours a week for work and I hate people like that. All I was saying was that if you're driving on a empty rd you should be able to drive at the speed limit.
Quote by LezPaulEpiphone
Wtf, you probably wouldn't even get a ticket for going 6 mph over the limit, here.

that depends on what the limit on the road is. The idea is that they take 10% of the speed limit + 2mph, and thats the maximum amount over the speed limit you're allowed to be before you get a ticket (the idea being that not everyones speedometer is 100% accurate so they allow a little room). so in a 40mph zone you can in theory drive at 46mph and not get a ticket. however, this only applies to speed cameras, so if a cop car is driving behind you and you're doing 46 in a 40 you'll get pulled over.

On topic: if she takes this to court she should almost definately win and not have to pay anything.
Quote by Thrill-house
No I'm not, I drive 40+ hours a week for work and I hate people like that. All I was saying was that if you're driving on a empty rd you should be able to drive at the speed limit.

Unless you don't feel comfortable doing so. At night when I drive around on 45mph roads I often slow down to 35-40 mph, because it's dark and there isn't much visibility, plus deer tend to go in the road. If you want to be safe and cautious, that's entirely your call and this police officer doesn't deserve to have the legal power he does.
Quote by Thrill-house

Why? Is there some sort of rush? Is she endangering anyone? No... So your argument doesn't stand up here. The only reason it would is if it was very busy, but even then it's excessive.
I'd like to say that, as a learner driver, I'd be constantly pulled over for this. I drive about 5 miles under the limit on most roads, and not particular because I'm not confident with going faster, but I'd rather have a more enjoyable journey, and generally would rather pay attention to the road around me than be constantly trying to align the needle with the number. There's nothing wrong with going under the limit unless it's excessive, 6 miles isn't. If you're the kind of person who actually gets pissed off with people who drive under the limit then you're the one in the wrong mindset for driving, not the person you're inevitably tail-gating.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Thrill-house

Do you think the cop was justified in giving her a citation?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by Thrill-house

Your opinion=/=the law

If no ones around and I'm not in a hurry, sometimes I'll drop below and won't notice. It's nice to cruise around without rushing but if someone starts getting close to me I'll speed up.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Page 1 of 3