I usually use D'addario 11-49 coated strings on my guitar and I love them. After using uncoated and me having to buy strings every 2-3 weeks (my sweat is extremely corrosive) I decided to try them and they lasted for 2 months before I wanted to change them.
Anyway, (probably going to get a cool story bro lol) what's you opinion on coated strings?
My Gear:
Shecter Omen 6 with Seymour Duncans
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Fender Frontman 25R (Want to upgrade badly)
Digitech Hardwire TL-2 Metal Distortion
i love the elixr's 9-42's but i can't get the hybrids at my local store without ordering a whole box. i love them... they stay brighter longer. and don't corrode. if i had the money to change my strings every week or so i might stick with the ernie balls, but yeah. for 10 dollars, you cna't go wrong.
I love them. No exaggeration, I used a pair of Elixir 13s on my acoustic. Had them on for 10 months with minimal change in tone (then my high e broke). Given a choice, I'll go coated every day of the week. Sundays too.
I hated them.

Yes they lasted longer, but I could deff tell there is something on them with my fingers and when I would bend a string it felt gritty compared to non coated. I know I'll never by them again.

I see it this way:

A pack of non coated strings is about $5.00 - last 2-4 weeks

A pack of coated strings is about $10.00 - last 4-8 weeks

So yes you are changing strings less, but you are not really saving any money...just time.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
CLeartones all the way
Guitars
Prs Custom 24
Fender Jaguar
Gibson Les paul standard dc
Ibanez as71

Amps
Peavey xxx
Crate v-32h/cab

Effects
Dimebag wah
carbon copy
evh phase
blackstart ht-duel
holy grail plus
electric mistress stereo
dd-20
They're great. I use elixir nanoweg .009 on my electric and they're lasting about 5 time more than the non coated d'addarios that I used.

And they play great. ( i use coated because my sweat is horribly corrosive)
Love the Guitar
Gear:
- Ibanez SZR520
- Peavey Vypyr 30w
- Alhambra 2C Classical Guitar
- Tortex .88mm/Jazz III 1.38mm
- Elixir Nanoweb Strings (.009)
Quote by srob7001
I hated them.

Yes they lasted longer, but I could deff tell there is something on them with my fingers and when I would bend a string it felt gritty compared to non coated. I know I'll never by them again.

I see it this way:

A pack of non coated strings is about $5.00 - last 2-4 weeks

A pack of coated strings is about $10.00 - last 4-8 weeks

So yes you are changing strings less, but you are not really saving any money...just time.
I know in th end your not saving money but would pay the 10 bucks cause I ****ing hate changing strings lol. Plus if you factor in gas to go get the regular strings every 2-4 weeks then you save money. But that's just me being technical and asuming you don't buy 2 sets of the uncoated when you buy strings
My Gear:
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
Quote by Damaging_Excess
I know in th end your not saving money but would pay the 10 bucks cause I ****ing hate changing strings lol. Plus if you factor in gas to go get the regular strings every 2-4 weeks then you save money. But that's just me being technical and asuming you don't buy 2 sets of the uncoated when you buy strings

See I like changing strings. It just gives me another opp to get better at re-setting everything up afterwards.

I also tend to buy strings 10 packs at a time. **** driving, ship those babies.

I didn't think they sounded any different, just felt too weird for me. Doesn't help that I've been using the same strings for the past 12 years and then tried the coated. After that long of the same brand and type of string I can deff tell a diff if I am using a coated or even diff brand.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
I liked Elixirs, lasted ages with no tonal effects to my ears.

But I got a great deal on a box of D'addarios so I'm using those atm, I will go back to Elixirs soon enough.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by srob7001
See I like changing strings. It just gives me another opp to get better at re-setting everything up afterwards.

I also tend to buy strings 10 packs at a time. **** driving, ship those babies.

I didn't think they sounded any different, just felt too weird for me. Doesn't help that I've been using the same strings for the past 12 years and then tried the coated. After that long of the same brand and type of string I can deff tell a diff if I am using a coated or even diff brand.
Yeah I agree about the coarse string bending.
My Gear:
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
I've only used coated on acoustics, not on electrics yet. From that though, I liked the Improved coating on the Elixers since the little shreds on strings from the first generation of coated strings were kinda weird and unsightly.
Never tried, although will invest in some elixers for my strat and acoustic soon
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
I usually just buy about four or five packs of the Ernie ball skinny top heavy bottom strings. They last about three times as long as the power slinkys (2 to 3 months).
Would the elixer coated strings not have the coarse bending or is that just something that comes with coated strings and it's unavoidable?
My Gear:
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
I dont use coated strings and I change mine every 2 or 3 months and i sweat alot. It doesn't really matter if your not gigging or recording really
Whaaaat!!!!!!
Quote by cob666
I dont use coated strings and I change mine every 2 or 3 months and i sweat alot. It doesn't really matter if your not gigging or recording really

To me coated strings feel newer longer. I had a set of GHS Boomers on right before I put the Daddario's on and they only lasted for a week and a half until they felt cruddy and not smooth and all. It's so bad for me at least that after the first play on uncoated strings that I can see discoloration on the strings
My Gear:
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads
I love coated strings. They feel smoother to play and last a lot longer (I tend to keep my strings on until they snap, lol). I practice in a small, hot room, so my hands get sweaty easily. The guy who set up my new guitar put the wrong strings on, and about three days later they were gritty already. But I'll keep them until I can't use them.
I think the Elixirs are great, I use them on my acoustic guitar. However it's important to note that there's "Polyweb" and "Nanoweb" Elixir strings. Basically the Nanoweb has less "coating" and aren't supposed to keep their tone as long as the Polywebs. The trade off however is a far superior tone (in my opinion). For me, they'll still last a couple of months.

Also I think that they sound the best around 2 weeks after you've restrung your guitar.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
You guys keep talking about how grttiy your strings get.

You know you can run a rag or something between your string and fretboard and it will get rid of that grittyness you feel.

I do this after everytime I play and my non coated strings last till they just feel like they have lost their normal tension. I've never once changed strings just because they feel gritty, only because they get dull sounding due to losing tension.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
You guys keep talking about how grttiy your strings get.

You know you can run a rag or something between your string and fretboard and it will get rid of that grittyness you feel.

I do this after everytime I play and my non coated strings last till they just feel like they have lost their normal tension. I've never once changed strings just because they feel gritty, only because they get dull sounding due to losing tension.
I'm to lazy to do that every time I play cause I play in like 10 minute bursts like 2 or three times and hour. I'll pay the extra money to have my strings feel new longer and not be gritty
My Gear:
Jackson JS30RR Rhoads