They've found hundreds of planetary systems...

Oh and he claims the telescopes can detect planets...which is wrong. They look at the way the star wobbles.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by archangels
I'm into space exploration, but a bunch of planets is nothing to get a boner over. Come back and let me know when we find one that's livable.

They have, it's called "Earth".
To date, astronomers have found over 400 "extra-solar" planets. All have been so-called "gas giants" similar to our own Jupiter and Saturn. That's because such large planets are easier to spot....
We don't know if there are as many smaller, heavy-element planets in these systems, but it seems likely since the mechanics of star formation are the same.

At any rate, it appears that planets in general are much more common in the universe than was previously thought.
there are hundreds of Billions of galaxies in the universe...each has planets... I'll start caring when life is found, or we can travel to them.
It just goes to show, we are not the center of the universe, and by probability, life is not elusive.

Our galaxy has over 5 billion stars. There are billions of galaxies in the universe. Since we are learning just how common planetary systems are, there must be planets suitable for life. Hell, even Jupiter's moon Europa is a good place to look. And there are organisms that live in boiling water and places where the pH is extremely acidic or basic.
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
So what? All that space crap seems like pointless $$$ give away, it NEVER brought or gave us anything useful and materialistic, except for knowledge, which is bullshit. How 'bout we fix our planet first, before we go ruining other ones.
Well NASA launched the Magellan satellite a little while back, and that detect planets only when they come between their sun and the satellite. So I'm sure the discovery of planets is in a relatively infant stage. They have found a very Earth like planet about sixty light years away from here.
The Walking Dead
Quote by Zeletros
So what? All that space crap seems like pointless $$$ give away, it NEVER brought or gave us anything useful and materialistic, except for knowledge, which is bullshit. How 'bout we fix our planet first, before we go ruining other ones.

Think of the movie Independence Day. Those aliens traveled between planets because they would use up all of the resources and have to move to a new one. I can see that happening to Earth. Not during our lifetimes, but in the future....assuming we don't create a Matrix-like scenario and get enslaved by robots!!
Quote by CaptainRon
They have, it's called "Earth".

I've been there, it's really overrated.

Quote by Zeletros

So I guess all those stupid "satellites" haven't given us anything useful.

Except, you know.. GPS, cellphones, UMTS internet, Satellite Television, weather forecasts, hurricane warnings, government intelligence, Google Maps, Google Earth, etc etc etc.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by Zeletros

Wat

Yeah... okay, I'm gonna just... Yeah...

Anyways, OT: It's not really surprising at all, the has been hundreds, maybe even thousands, of other planetary systems discovered. Always interesting to find a new one, but I won't be truly intrigued until one with some form of life is found.
Quote by Zeletros

Yeah I mean cell phones and television are pretty pointless. So is GPS, weather radar, radio, internet, and being able to map the entire planet by taking pictures from low earth orbit.

I agree that we should figure out our own problems here on Earth before seriously considering colonizing other planets.
The Walking Dead
Quote by iduno871
Think of the movie Independence Day. Those aliens traveled between planets because they would use up all of the resources and have to move to a new one. I can see that happening to Earth. Not during our lifetimes, but in the future....assuming we don't create a Matrix-like scenario and get enslaved by robots!!

Humans will not be able of relocating our entire species to a suitable planet in your lifetime.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
It's too far awaaaaaaay. Check closer stars.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Pretty useless information considering we'd never be able to get there.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by Gyroscope
Pretty useless information considering we'd never be able to get there.

Last edited by CoreysMonster at Aug 25, 2010,
Quote by archangels
Woop-de-freaking-do.

I'm into space exploration, but a bunch of planets is nothing to get a boner over. Come back and let me know when we find one that's livable.

Or better yet another planet with living organisms already in it
Quote by Zeletros

Impossible is just a word people say to make themselves feel better when they quit.
Vyse the Legend
Quote by btones
Holy shit corey

nostalgia just hit me like a ton of bricks.

good, I was afraid noone would get what I meant
I remember watching that movie when I was a kid but I don't remember what happens in it and I don't get Corey's reference.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Quote by CoreysMonster

I loved those movies!

On another note.. yea, nothing new really unless they have life on them.
Quote by RU Experienced? , bass-man9712

Quote by DecaPodge
I love you.
Quote by Gyroscope

Gotcha.

They watch American cartoons in Germany?

of course! they watch american cartoons all over the world.
Quote by CoreysMonster
of course! they watch american cartoons all over the world.

Aren't you American anyway?

Also, I'm amused at the amount of people who seem to think your name is Corey
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Quote by asator
Aren't you American anyway?

Also, I'm amused at the amount of people who seem to think your name is Corey

psssst, stop telling other people my secrets
well, I can't get there any time soon to be the first guy to bang Hydrian...so screw it
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by SlayingDragons
Wat

Yeah... okay, I'm gonna just... Yeah...

I guess he doesn't mean the more immediate stuff like GPS and TV but more finding the 1000000th useless, uninhabited floating rock in space.