I've been thinking about get a band together recently,. but this time i want to have the ultimate best set ever
So the first thing i was thinking was, what kind of line up will i have,.

Singer
Guitarist
Bassist
Drummer

I would like to have a second guitarist but at present i don't know anyone.

What Genre am i looking at: - Heavy Rock / Nu Metal / Classic Metal

Next,. what kind of songs can't we play?,. the obvious would be removed based on the planned dynamics of the band. I.e. no song that has a prominent keyboard, or Saxophone . or resembles anything like linkin park song. Then anything overly technical,. i.e some megadeth, paul gilbert, etc.
You can check my profile, i have a couple of tracks on there to help,.

So now what,...

Lets get the best fricken set list ever together,. once i know what everyone likes i'm gonna learn the top 20!!!

Rock On!!
Why not just...make your own? You know what you can do far better than us, just play all the classics.

There is no such thing as the best set ever, I always go for sets which have a lot of energy, even if the songs are obscure, because the crowd will generally enjoy them more. The more I can mosh when playing a song, the more fun it seems to be for everyone.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
In the end the song has to sound good with the band. You can pick out a AC-DC song but if the singer can't do the song than it should be disgarded. Also it should be Democracy in picking songs. Sometimes you may not like a song but if the others do than you go with it.

The set list will determine gig eligibility also. Picking all obscure non danceable songs that might be challenging songs you like but the average person doesn't will limit your gigs. But at the same time you should pick songs you and the band also like. Happy medium.
Last edited by LK_revival at Aug 25, 2010,
Go to the bandleading forum, they have a thread about making a good setlist.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by Todd Hart
Why not just...make your own? You know what you can do far better than us, just play all the classics.

There is no such thing as the best set ever, I always go for sets which have a lot of energy, even if the songs are obscure, because the crowd will generally enjoy them more. The more I can mosh when playing a song, the more fun it seems to be for everyone.

Why not,.. been there, got the tshirt.
Other comments taken onboard.
Quote by LK_revival
In the end the song has to sound good with the band. You can pick out a AC-DC song but if the singer can't do the song than it should be disgarded. Also it should be Democracy in picking songs. Sometimes you may not like a song but if the others do than you go with it.

The set list will determine gig eligibility also. Picking all obscure non danceable songs that might be challenging songs you like but the average person doesn't will limit your gigs.

Absolutely, agree with all your comments,. AC-DC should be on the list.
Quote by The Thresher
Absolutely, agree with all your comments,. AC-DC should be on the list.

And yet I post effectively the same thing and get ignored.
Play "Holy Diver" and actually do the original justice, and it won't matter whats on the rest of your setlist.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
Quote by MortifiedLizard
Play "Holy Diver" and actually do the original justice, and it won't matter whats on the rest of your setlist.

Isn't this just a description of the career of Killswitch Engage?
Quote by The Thresher
Don't feel left out mate,.. AC/DC caught my eye,. All comments appreciated.

Only thing I'd say about playing AC/DC is make sure you pick a song everyone will know. If you pick one that people don't know, they'll assume it's an original and you just sound unnervingly like AC/DC. It happened to one of my friends bands, they played Spellbound I think and some guy after the show asked them if they were going to rip off any more AC/DC riffs and add their own crappy lyrics.
Quote by Todd Hart

Only thing I'd say about playing AC/DC is make sure you pick a song everyone will know. If you pick one that people don't know, they'll assume it's an original and you just sound unnervingly like AC/DC. It happened to one of my friends bands, they played Spellbound I think and some guy after the show asked them if they were going to rip off any more AC/DC riffs and add their own crappy lyrics.

Yeah no exactly what you mean, i done a Who song in my last band,.. Behind Blue Eyes,.. we played it very well but it went down like a lead ballon.. only every played it once. lol

I was thinking about Hells Bells!
One song I have always enjoyed playing as a cover for gigs is Lenny Kravitiz "Are you gonna go my way?" .Not a hard song to play, but I love the groove, love the meaning, improvise on the solo and it is a well known danceable song also. Same for La Grange.
Quote by LK_revival
One song I have always enjoyed playing as a cover for gigs is Lenny Kravitiz "Are you gonna go my way?" .Not a hard song to play, but I love the groove, love the meaning, improvise on the solo and it is a well known danceable song also. Same for La Grange.

Good call, havent heard that song in ages,. downloading now on itunes.
Quote by The Thresher
Yeah no exactly what you mean, i done a Who song in my last band,.. Behind Blue Eyes,.. we played it very well but it went down like a lead ballon.. only every played it once. lol

I was thinking about Hells Bells!

I played Behind Blue Eyes by The Who and some guy said 'you played that limp bizkit song really wel'.
Quote by Todd Hart
I played Behind Blue Eyes by The Who and some guy said 'you played that limp bizkit song really wel'.

LMAO,.. good for you! uneducated fools.

There's nothing like doing a good job on a clasic that people think was written my limp bizdicks.
The next band I get into I am hoping I can convince them to do this song, this version. I actually have been learning it but the solo has me stumped, it is one of the songs I want to do the solo just like him but there are no tabs or good vids of it out there to learn from. Someone one told the recording program reaper can slow songs below half speed and retain pitch so I might try that next. I tried half speed and still couldn't figuire out what he was doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1SyHj77pgI
I really don't understand what the TS is going on about.

Anyone care to elaborate for me?

Oh and by the way. I dislike two of the three songs that TS has decided on. The Kravitiz one is okay. I don't think you are ever going to come up with a list of twenty songs that everybody likes.
Quote by JacobTheMe

Oh and by the way. I dislike two of the three songs that TS has decided on. The Kravitiz one is okay. I don't think you are ever going to come up with a list of twenty songs that everybody likes.

TS? care to elaborate?

each to their own,.. the idea i not to find a list of 20 that everyone will like,.

more like a list of 20 that is popular among the masses.

what are your favorite songs to hear live, i may consider them?
Your band should write some music and play originals. There's nothing wrong with 1 or 2 covers though. Anyways though, I'm gonna see if my band will cover comfortably numb sometime.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Quote by JacobTheMe

In the end it isn't what everybody on here likes, but what the guys in the actual band agree upon and if a certain song just isn't sounding right to be able to disgard it with out someone letting it hurt a ego.

Years ago a good friend and awesome drummer in the band was a Rush fanatic. I love Rush also but he wanted to do By-tor and the snow dog, a obscure Rush song. Nobody else in the band wanted to and he got bent out of shape about it. When it comes to picking songs for the band cover song wise, you got to have the members on a similar page and be Democratic about it. It is give a little, stand your ground a little. That is the way I see it.

What is the goal of the band, play out some and do what you want more? Or gig a lot. If gigging a lot specially for money at different places is the goal a more different styled set list is needed usually.
Blackest eyes - Porcupine Tree
Futile - Porcupine Tree
Open Car - Porcupine Tree
Mother and Child Divided - Porcupine tree
Signify - Porcupine Tree
Blind House - Porcupine Tree
Octane Twisted - Porcupine Tree
Deadwing - Porcupine Tree
Shallow - Porcupine Tree

There's half your set.
Quote by The Thresher

I would like to have a second guitarist but at present i don't know anyone.

What Genre am i looking at: - Heavy Rock / Nu Metal / Classic Metal

Rock On!!

Given the popularity of Metallica, a song by them if the band can do it good, will go over usually for a crowd. If you have more than one person in the band who can handle lead vocals that opens up more possibilities. A friend's band, the bass player use to handle a couple vocals, like "For whom the bell tolls" and the Goo goo dolls "slide". The lead singer would get a drink at the bar while he handled those songs.

I always prefered 2 guitars, it opens up song possibilities and gives a thicker overall sound. Or some songs are great with one acoustic and the other lead. I am currently looking for a cover band, I often run into bands around here who prefer one guitar because it is less money to split from the gig.
Last edited by LK_revival at Aug 25, 2010,