Prepare for an odd question:

I have recently become interested with that acoustic sound that really reminds me of hell (no I am not a satanist nor am I posessed, I just think it sounds cool). I am curious if there are any certain scales/modes/tunings that would really emphasise this hellish/creepy/evil sound.

Examples of what I mean:

Hey You - Pink Floyd
Hotel California Intro - The Eagles
Diary of a Madman Intro - Ozzy Osbourne
Last edited by kashmir0109 at Aug 25, 2010,
It's less about the scales/tunings they use, and much more about the atmosphere crated from the whole band. Also, the studio is used a lot of times to facilitate that and makes it harder to replicate the sound.

Now, the examples you gave are a little off the wall for what you're describing. One thing I can tell you is to use a minor key, which is a given and to USE DYNAMICS. Loud, quite; soft, hard; fast, slow.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
1.) Listen to the songs you listed (and others that you could list)
2.) Learn the songs you listed (and others that you could list)
3.) Analyze the songs you listed (and others that you could list)
4.) Now that you know what makes the songs tick, recreate it in your own style.
those songs don't really make me think of hell, but whatever (not familiar with that ozzy song).

hey you and hotel california both rely heavily on the atmosphere created, more so with pink floyd - most of their stuff uses a great atmospheric sound. getting a song to have that atmosphere is pretty challenging, especially when you have a particular feeling in mind. chord variations have a big part in that, as well as the way the instruments interact, which can mean pretty much anything.

really, with trying to write in a particular style the best approach is the one Suburvia outlined above. the most important part is listening to and analyzing the songs. how well you listen and analyze will influence your ability to do it yourself.
All the songs you've mentioned use chords that have semitone intervals within them. Learn some minor add 9, major add 11, and maj7th chords and learn how to incorporate them into progressions.

Although if you think that a little dissonance sounds hellish, someone needs to introduce you to some Dimmu Borgir and Behemoth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWWGgtimxCM
Quote by Night
wtf is a selfie? is that like, touching yourself or something?
Diminished 7 arpeggios, creepy droning notes, a lot of chromaticism.
Quote by Wiegenlied
All the songs you've mentioned use chords that have semitone intervals within them. Learn some minor add 9, major add 11, and maj7th chords and learn how to incorporate them into progressions.

Although if you think that a little dissonance sounds hellish, someone needs to introduce you to some Portal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emrBZZtGFgI

Fix'd
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by Benjabenja
Fix'd

I actually don't agree there. Hellish ambiance works better with massive gaps in frequencies rather than playing low and dissonant all the time.

High schreeching notes combined with dissonant intervals works better to give me the chills. Also the more minimal melodies with just a few tones at seemingly random moments often works agaisnt expectations. This also helps to "scare" people. If you just keep blasting away all the time this will affect the dark ambiance in a way that it's get haunting less and less. Though it could work wonders for a climax.

And DO NOT underestimate major chords. Used properly they can be quite frightning. You should evade them just because you think they'll sound happy all the time.

Thats my advice OP, hope it helps a little.
Quote by kashmir0109
Prepare for an odd question
Always on UG. :-)
sound that really reminds me of hell
Reminds you? Have you been there?
Hey You - Pink Floyd
They play Pink Floyd, Eagles and Ozzy in hell? D*mn me, I'm totally going there. Who's opening? ;-)
Quote by kashmir0109
Prepare for an odd question:

I have recently become interested with that acoustic sound that really reminds me of hell (no I am not a satanist nor am I posessed, I just think it sounds cool). I am curious if there are any certain scales/modes/tunings that would really emphasise this hellish/creepy/evil sound.

Examples of what I mean:

Hey You - Pink Floyd

I have an idea what you're talking about. What you want is I assume a clean acoustic sound that you hear on some early judas priest, halford, cradle of filth and iron maiden. What I suggest is that some of these bands excluding maiden tuned their acoustic guitars down to D or C tuning and played in a minor key, or a harmonic key. Often times they often arpeggiated a minor chord. See if this helps.
Bar chords in this shape

----x-------------
----x----x--------
----x--------x----
----x--------x----
----x--------------
----x--------------

Played chromatically

EVIL!
i didn't find any of those songs evil-sounding as far as note choice goes, but i did notice that the guitar tone in the hotel california intro sounded similar to a harpsichord, which might be construed as sinister-sounding.

for evil-sounding stuff, i like diminished scales and major-minor chords (aka augmented maybe? i might be wrong). whole tone scale as well. plain old chromaticism and tone clusters are good too.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!