After reading through the expansive EMG 9/18 volt mod thread and getting prepared for a response, I discovered that the thread was closed!
Early on in post 72 of that thread the suggestion was posed that a delay circuit be used to mitigate the potentially destructive popping issue, though the results of this circuit seem inconclusive. I don't believe that I've read anyone's results from this method. Here's the diagram:
(Invalid img)
I'm interested in anyone's results from this, if it has been attempted, and whether the specs in the diagram are accurate. I'm not trying to insult the original poster's intellence by this, but rather I'm laying out my ignorance.
Specs
Capacitor: is 10 microfarads correct? If so I'll try to get a 10uf 20vdc tantalum cap. Whether it needs to be polarized, non-polarized, axial, radial, etc I don't know. There are so many permutations of material, tolerance, etc. out there.
Resistor: 3.3k Ohm. These seem to come with various tolerances, materials, and power levels as well. I'm currently looking at a 0.25 watt 3.3k Ohm 1% metal film resistor. The 1/2 watt ones I was looking at had higher tolerances.

Once again, I couldn't find the clarifications for this in the original thread, nor a precise answer from EMG on these numbers. I hope that there is a wiring guru out there yet who can help me out. Any help is appreciated...
Thanks
Well, that was actually designed by a wiring guru, who is SomeoneYouKnew.

And I don't think you'd have to worry too much about the quality/type of those components, as they will work just during the transient, like 0.000000001 secs.

Probably nobody tried the schem because in practice it's not that necessary, as you may have read through that thread.
Anyways, you can also try the potentiometer thing
Quote by bazuriya
Well, that was actually designed by a wiring guru, who is SomeoneYouKnew.

And I don't think you'd have to worry too much about the quality/type of those components, as they will work just during the transient, like 0.000000001 secs.

Probably nobody tried the schem because in practice it's not that necessary, as you may have read through that thread.
Anyways, you can also try the potentiometer thing

I was hoping that you'd chime in; you had quite a presence in that discussion. If you approve of SomeoneYouKnew's skill in this area then I feel a bit better knowing that I perhaps didn't waste $1.59 cap shopping on eBay.

Huh...I didn't figure that the time interval would be so negligible. Perhaps you're right--pointless. The EMG tech got the best of me. I guess the pot method is always on the table.

Thanks
I would avoid tantalum caps. If they are polarized, a negative dc voltage on the positive for even a very small time will likely kill the cap. Tantalum caps sure like to die.