I have been looking for a budget guitar just vibratos and some dimesqueals and dive bombs here and there. I'm expecting to buy a used Peavey Ranger 212 at guitarcenter in a week or two so i got the amp covered. I play from a wide range from classic rock to thrash metal and my budget isn't a cent over $400. I'm willing to go used depending on the condition of the guitar and its playability. I'm really keeping a close eye on a Kramer Pacer Classic and a Kramer Striker Custom FR-424CM on musiciansfriend

Thanks for all the help
For the price, those guitars sound good. But check out Ibanez, they have some pretty good guitars in that price range.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Most $400 guitars have trems that aren't bad in terms of feel but will probably be worn out after a couple years of abuse. The Edge III comes to mind. Jackson units tend to be a little bit better, and ESP LTDs come with Chinese made versions of the official Floyd Rose called the Floyd Rose Special. I have one on an ESP and find in terms of feel it's very similar to the German OFR, but time will tell how it will hold up.

Kramers now are a nice value. they used to have kinda crappy electronics but newer ones I've played have been pretty nice for the money.

EDIT: However, you should be able to get a used LTD with a German OFR or an older Ibanez with a MIJ Edge that will be a nicer trem unit.
Last edited by CJRocker at Aug 25, 2010,
Casey is signed, he's a Kramer endorsee
2003 Music Man Axis Pacific Blue Burst
Only in North America do people think metal and 80's stuff sucks. Go elsewhere like in Europe and other places and its alive and well. By the way, if you think Casey is awesome (which he is!) check out this guy. Anton Oparin, Gary Kramer Guitars endorsee. Most likely the next Malmsteen ;-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXkQyTk3Hs4
Quote by DSOTM80
Check out the new Strikers, better pickups, better finishes. I don't believe MF has them yet but they are out. Its called the Kramer Striker 211.
Here's one modified with EMG's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ03up-4RZ0

and here's one stock played by Casey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECXXJxesy0U

they are available on MF.

i have a 1986/7 striker 100st, and these new kramers are filled with massive amounts of win. the new kramers are vastly superior to any of the 80's kramers.
also check out the new kramer basses are spectacular.
gibson guitars is the best thing to ever happen to the kramer company.
HILT!

Where's Waldo?

Quote by Alucard817
they are available on MF.

i have a 1986/7 striker 100st, and these new kramers are filled with massive amounts of win. the new kramers are vastly superior to any of the 80's kramers.
also check out the new kramer basses are spectacular.
gibson guitars is the best thing to ever happen to the kramer company.

Wrong, sorry but the 80's Kramers cannot be beat compared to todays line. Your Striker 100ST is a Korean made starter guitar with a plywood body so I'm not surprised by your comment.
The 80's USA Kramer's are in a different class. Baretta's and Pacers were amazing instruments. Stuff that they put out in the late 80's like Showmasters, Pro Axe, Nightswan etc was even more impressive. ESP is what they are today because they made necks and bodies for Kramer back in the day. Kramer's MIJ Focus line was great as well, and built entirely by ESP Japan after 1985. MIA and MIJ Kramer's all had German OFR's (well of course German because no alternatives existed back then like today).
The new Kramers, if you wanna call them that, are alright. Owned now by Gibson who don't give a sh*t about them and turned it into a mid-priced budget brand. They put out some great USA made re-issues like the '85 Baretta RI, the 1984 and the Jersey Star however but are no longer made.

Just check out vintagekramer.com for more info
Quote by DSOTM80
Wrong, sorry but the 80's Kramers cannot be beat compared to todays line. Your Striker 100ST is a Korean made starter guitar with a plywood body so I'm not surprised by your comment.
The 80's USA Kramer's are in a different class. Baretta's and Pacers were amazing instruments. Stuff that they put out in the late 80's like Showmasters, Pro Axe, Nightswan etc was even more impressive. ESP is what they are today because they made necks and bodies for Kramer back in the day. Kramer's MIJ Focus line was great as well, and built entirely by ESP Japan after 1985. MIA and MIJ Kramer's all had German OFR's (well of course German because no alternatives existed back then like today).
The new Kramers, if you wanna call them that, are alright. Owned now by Gibson who don't give a sh*t about them and turned it into a mid-priced budget brand. They put out some great USA made re-issues like the '85 Baretta RI, the 1984 and the Jersey Star however but are no longer made.

Just check out vintagekramer.com for more info

The Kramer man strikes again I will agree that the older Korean Kramers weren't great guitars, though Alucard isn't totally wrong in saying the newer ones are far better than the older Korean ones. But then again Korean guitars from the 80s up until the mid 90s were pretty much garbage compared to the stuff made today so it's incorrect to attribute it to Gibson taking over Kramer, more a shift in the quality of product as a whole from the source.

But to many damn people these days think 80's Metal and Glam suck while I am a true fan of it.

I do wish they still reissued the older style Kramers made in the US, but like the Charvels that rolled out around the same time, I think they were a little too early. The 80s style of music may be gone, but that style of guitar is really making a come back. The color schemes out now compared to around 5 years ago are a lot more interesting. The whole "throw a FR on everything" mentality seems to be making a comeback too. "Throw solos over everything" also seems popular again too, but maybe that is just wishful thinking...

another thought to the TS: For the $350-400 you'll spend on a new Kramer, you can probably get a used Charvel Model 3/4 or 375, or a Kramer Focus on top of the models I mentioned if you want something in that style of guitars. If new, take a look at the ESP LTD M100FM too.
Quote by CJRocker
The Kramer man strikes again

Ohh so I have a nickname in here now?

What can I say though, I love the 80's Kramers!
Quote by DSOTM80
Ohh so I have a nickname in here now?

What can I say though, I love the 80's Kramers!

Thank God you fixed that fail post of misinformation on Kramers

American assembled ESP Kramers are the sheeeeooooot

I'm about to go pic krazy in this thread
go 80's kramer, not new kramer. Pacer deluxe or nightswan
Fender Stratocaster USA Deluxe 2005
MIJ Fender Contemporary Stratocaster '85-'86 HSS System I DiMarzio SD Bridge
Epiphone 2010 Les Paul Tribute
Ibanez AW30ECE Acoustic
Line 6 IV 75w (lol)
BAM,couldn't resist

BUT this is a Gary Kramer guitar. Worth checking out because they are more like real Kramers then what Kramer is putting out today. Picked this one up as a blem for $399 shipped with an autographed poster from Gary. It was set up,in tune,and ready to go out of the box. Very personalized service from a great guy
MusicMan Axis or a GKG Cathedral/Conquest, the only new guitars I'd consider buying. The rest...meh
I'd pass on the new Kramers. Cheap licensed Floyds, mediocre stock pups, etc.... nothing to get excited about in the least. I'd buy a true 80's/90's superstrat if you are looking for such a guitar.....not a new guitar that only looks the part.