I've got a jackson dinky and an epiphone les paul, and i intend to switch the neck pickups in them. I know a guy who can do this for me, and I'm just wondering if you guys have any reasons why this is a terrible idea. otherwise, I'm gonna go for it.
why would it be a terrible idea? i say go for it and if you dont like the sound them change them back
Quote by MarijuanaIsGood
if the elephant on the left is green, and the spider on the right is blue, what is in the middle and WHAT THE FUCK COLOR IS IT??

Quote by ThatGuy153à
Yo stop tripping, its just a Purple Bag'O'Green

i dont wanna melt in 2030
Changing pickups is one of those things where you really gotta do your research on what you want. Listen to clips of that pickup, etc.

I'd seriously suggest learning how to solder yourself. It's not worth paying another $20 on pickups because you can't do basic soldering.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Won't the Jackson be F-spaced and the Gibson not?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
Won't the Jackson be F-spaced and the Gibson not?

Actually yes, I believe they would be.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Tiefenja
am i stupid if i dunno what that means? :P

F-spaced pickups are on Fenders and alot more guitars that have trems. Gibsons use normal spaced pickups. I can't remember the exact measurements, but its something like F-spaced are 53 mm wide, and normal are 48 mm wide (or something like that.)

Basically your strings wouldn't be over the actual pole pieces of the pickup, but I may be wrong in saying that the Jackson is F-spaced.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
F spacing matters not with tone, it just looks off... here is the thing though: are they name brand (Gibson, Seymour Duncan, etc) or just generic Jackson/Epiphone pickups? If they are generics there is really no point in swapping them as they'll sound similar anyway.
Quote by Tiefenja
The Jackson doesn't have a trem, its string thru

Some Dinkys do have LFRs.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by CJRocker
F spacing matters not with tone, it just looks off... here is the thing though: are they name brand (Gibson, Seymour Duncan, etc) or just generic Jackson/Epiphone pickups? If they are generics there is really no point in swapping them as they'll sound similar anyway.

I've heard this before, but I've also heard that it can kill tone too.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29
I've heard this before, but I've also heard that it can kill tone too.

What can kill tone? Its not really worth switching them if neither of them are good pickups, what are you trying to accomplish?
Quote by im_bored
What can kill tone? Its not really worth switching them if neither of them are good pickups, what are you trying to accomplish?

The fact that if he's putting normal spaced pickups in a guitar with F-spaced size string spacing (Which I'm not even sure the Jackson has...) The strings won't be directly over the magnets in the pickups, but like I said, I've never done it so I don't know what affect it will have....

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29

The fact that if he's putting normal spaced pickups in a guitar with F-spaced size string spacing (Which I'm not even sure the Jackson has...) The strings won't be directly over the magnets in the pickups, but like I said, I've never done it so I don't know what affect it will have....

Funny you mention this... I have a Gibson pickup in my DK2T and can't for the life of me remember if the strings are spaced evenly. I THINK the spacing is normal but until I can check the guitar tomorrow don't quote me on that. Pretty sure the spacing on their non trem models is Gibson/Normal spacing though.
the f-spaced pickups wont matter.

may i ask which dinky it is? i got a set of epih. les paul pickups that i had in my DX10D dinky for a while. didn't sound bad at all. definitely an improvement over the brittle "duncan designed" ones.
Official Aspie member

ANOUNCEMENT: Weird misspellings or words that make no sense? there was a good chance this was sent from my Droid 2 phone.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
.. You are the man.

RIP Dime RIP Michael Jackson
Quote by Tiefenja
I've got a jackson dinky and an epiphone les paul, and i intend to switch the neck pickups in them. I know a guy who can do this for me, and I'm just wondering if you guys have any reasons why this is a terrible idea. otherwise, I'm gonna go for it.

It's a stupid idea if you use the bridge pickup more (I think most ppl do). If you barely use the neck, why change it?
As long as you do not physically screw something up along the way there is nothing wrong with changing out pickups in a widget guitar. Google is your friend. Research how to solder first. Learn how to solder learn how to solder learn how to solder before doing anything. Did i mention learn how to solder. Yes it is that important. Make a cold joint it wont work.Cook a pot it wont work. Cook the leads to the pickup, you guessed it you just turned your pickup into garbage. It is not hard to learn it just take a little time and desire to do it.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
Quote by conor1148
the f-spaced pickups wont matter.

may i ask which dinky it is? i got a set of epih. les paul pickups that i had in my DX10D dinky for a while. didn't sound bad at all. definitely an improvement over the brittle "duncan designed" ones.

the dinky is a DKMGT.

and for the record, i use the neck pickup more than the bridge
Are those EMG actives or the old passive HZs in that DKMGT? If they're the actives, you're gonna have to trade the entire wiring setup out, and will see a downgrade in quality.
then do it. do you like the neck pup in the lp? it will sound a little different in the dinky.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
i love the neck on the dinky, and the les paul pup. how different will it sound