Ok so to make a long story short I've been playing for less than 2 years. I don't practice like I should. Instead I just pick up my guitar and try to learn at song at full speed right off the bat. I'm realizing now that this is a bad idea since every song I can play isn't polished and I frequently make mistakes, and it will sometimes sound great while other times it will sound like @#&$

So I'm trying to master the solo from Enter Sandman. Pretty easy song and solo to be honest, but I can't get the solo down. I want to be able to play it flawlessly with my eyes closed. So I've started playing it at around 80BPM with an online metronome. I do have a question though; how would you play this part? (I hope this tab comes out right)

1|-17p14----17p14----17p14-19p15----19p15----19p15-|
2|-------15-------15-------------17-------17-------|
3|-------------------------------------------------|
4|-------------------------------------------------|
5|-------------------------------------------------|
6|-------------------------------------------------|

1|-21p17----21p17----21p17----22b24-(22)\------|-----------------|
2|-------17-------17-------17-------------9b10-|-(9)---9b10---9--|
3|----------------------------------------9b11-|-(9)---9b11---9--|
4|---------------------------------------------|-----------------|
5|---------------------------------------------|-----------------|
6|---------------------------------------------|-----------------|

I can play it, but for whatever reason it seems like I'm making it more difficult to play than it should be. I use my index finger for the 14th fret, the ring finger for the 17th fret, and the middle finger on the 15th fret of the B string. I keep this formation for the next little bit until I get to the 21st fret. At that part I lay my index finger across the B and E strings on the 17th fret and I use my ring finger on the 17th fret of the B string. (If you have any questions about that please ask. I know it is confusing lol)

The other part I have a question with is this part:

1|-----------------------------|
2|-----------------------------|
3|-9p7-------------------------|
4|-----9p7---7-9-7-------------|
5|---------9-------9-8-7-------|
6|-----------------------10-7\-|

Would you pick the part that goes 9-8-7 on the A string, or would you just do a roll/pull off thing?

Ok the LAST thing I have to ask is if my current method is the best way to practice solos. I know everyone is different, but would slowing it down to a low BPM and practicing it until I can play without error 5 times and then increase the BPM and repeat until I can play at full speed be a good method of learning/practicing songs?

Thanks ahead of time. I know it's a lot lol.

EDIT: There is a nasty thunderstorm in my area and my power keeps going out so I might not be able to look at this thread again tonight, but I will definitely check it tomorrow.

WHERE IS MY PICK?
i dont care to read whole post,but first lick,thats too wide of a stretch for your ring finger,and if you give me "but my pinky doesnt work" well then you need to start useing it,then it works.......as for the last part,your question about pull-off or pick....its up to you,even tho your learning the song by tab,use your ear and do what you think sounds best/is right/what you want.

hope that helps.enter sandman is a pretty sweet classic song for my generation.
yeh just play it at a speed which you can play it perfectly then slowly increase the speed each time waiting untill you can play it perfectly again, with enough time you will always reach your desired speed. Also when you start to struggle to increase speed have a break and come back to it, I always find that if i have a break even if its just 15 minutes when i come back i can play it better.
- THIS IS MY SIG -
BEHOLD ITS AWESOMENESS
17 to 14 is too wide a stretch for Index to Ring finger? I can do it easily, and I've only been playing 8 months.

Just keep playing slowly, until you've got it nailed. Rush it, and you'll just learn it wrong
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Quote by CAGEDtheory
i dont care to read whole post,but first lick,thats too wide of a stretch for your ring finger,and if you give me "but my pinky doesnt work" well then you need to start useing it,then it works.......as for the last part,your question about pull-off or pick....its up to you,even tho your learning the song by tab,use your ear and do what you think sounds best/is right/what you want.

hope that helps.enter sandman is a pretty sweet classic song for my generation.

14 to 17 isn't too far of a stretch. I can do 14 to 19 without too much trouble. Anyways, I think I'll just do the rolling thing for the one part because the distortion will help with that, and I won't really need to individually pick each note.

Quote by Samhaynes
yeh just play it at a speed which you can play it perfectly then slowly increase the speed each time waiting untill you can play it perfectly again, with enough time you will always reach your desired speed. Also when you start to struggle to increase speed have a break and come back to it, I always find that if i have a break even if its just 15 minutes when i come back i can play it better.

Ok will do

Quote by HeretiK538
17 to 14 is too wide a stretch for Index to Ring finger? I can do it easily, and I've only been playing 8 months.

Just keep playing slowly, until you've got it nailed. Rush it, and you'll just learn it wrong

Yeah I'm starting to realize that when I try to learn songs at full speed I just end up keeping the bad techniques instead of seeing/hearing the when I play slow.

WHERE IS MY PICK?
Quote by CAGEDtheory
i dont care if you can,should you? no.

I'm just saying that when I have my first two fingers in place my ring finger sits right by the 17th fret. If I was to use my pinky then my ring finger would be in the way.

WHERE IS MY PICK?
Quote by GuitarSlinger00
just play it all sloppy like kirk hammett!!

this guy hit the nail on the head,kirk uses all down strokes.if he were to alternate he would be even faster,not useing your pinky is like cutting off a few fingers....why? handicapping yourself? the more you got (not fingers,i mean skill,and technique) the better overall guitarist you are.just dont handicap yourself,that dont make much sense,and guys who dont use ther pinky because some other unorthodox player does it like that and they think its cool....someone needs to throw the middle finger at them.
Quote by DemonicTurtle66
Ok so to make a long story short I've been playing for less than 2 years. I don't practice like I should. Instead I just pick up my guitar and try to learn at song at full speed right off the bat. I'm realizing now that this is a bad idea since every song I can play isn't polished and I frequently make mistakes, and it will sometimes sound great while other times it will sound like @#&$ [...]

Hi there. There are a few basic principles for learning anything new on the guitar, especially anything fast. The principles are

1) Break a long solo down into shorter pieces. It's usually fairly easy to mentally break a solo down into phrases. You practise these phrases individually from one another and then you string them back together in the end.
2) Relax your fingers. Relax your wrist. Rinse and repeat. This is the most basic principle behind playing fast.
3) Start every piece slow, play it until you make no mistakes 5 times in a row. Only then speed up.
4) Always use a metronome, or tap your foot if you don't have one.

To read about this in a lot more detail and with specific tips, I kindly redirect you to these two posts (the first one is on relaxation, the second one on how to play fast):
http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com/technique-2/building-finger-speed-relaxation/
http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com/technique-2/playing-fast-how-to/

Hope this helps,
Willem
I totally agree with the people saying you should use your pinky. Lets face it, the only reason not to use the pinky is because you're not as good with it as you are your ring finger, and that can be remedied by practise. Not using your pinky is like intentionally handicapping yourself.
Speed is a by-product of shut the fuck up.
I also agree with the whole pinky business. Fair enough you may not need it to play that song, however there will come a time when you will have to use it, and when that time comes your gonna wish you had practiced with your pinky from the start!!

At the end of the day its up to yourself though
Quote by GuitarSlinger00
just play it all sloppy like kirk hammett!!

Lol

Quote by willemhdb
Hi there. There are a few basic principles for learning anything new on the guitar, especially anything fast. The principles are

1) Break a long solo down into shorter pieces. It's usually fairly easy to mentally break a solo down into phrases. You practise these phrases individually from one another and then you string them back together in the end.
2) Relax your fingers. Relax your wrist. Rinse and repeat. This is the most basic principle behind playing fast.
3) Start every piece slow, play it until you make no mistakes 5 times in a row. Only then speed up.
4) Always use a metronome, or tap your foot if you don't have one.

To read about this in a lot more detail and with specific tips, I kindly redirect you to these two posts (the first one is on relaxation, the second one on how to play fast):
http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com...eed-relaxation/
http://www.theloneguitaristblog.com...ng-fast-how-to/

Hope this helps,
Willem

I think I need to practice most on relaxing.

As for the whole pinky thing, I understand that using your pinky is a very important part of playing guitar, but for this song it isn't needed. If I was to use my pinky in this song it would just get in the way because I would have to "tuck" my ring finger out of the way.

WHERE IS MY PICK?