i was in my guitar class at school today and my teacher decided to briefly go over mixing the pentatonic scale with the diminished scale. In the end he did not explain he only gave me a lick that used it. Could anybody help me with this or point me in the right direction to where i can study this?
Ibanez rg770
Washburn x50proq
Ibanez rg7621
peavey 6505 plus combo
Boss Ge 7
vox satchurator
Cae mc404 wah
First of all there are two diminished scales, the whole-half and the half-whole. Second of all, I don't really see how you can mix either of those with the pentatonic scale.

Maybe he meant adding the blue note into the minor pentatonic, thus creating the minor pentatonic blues scale?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
no it wasnt the minor pentatonic blues. Also it mixed and it was full of awesomeness.
Ibanez rg770
Washburn x50proq
Ibanez rg7621
peavey 6505 plus combo
Boss Ge 7
vox satchurator
Cae mc404 wah
Quote by budreiser1
no it wasnt the minor pentatonic blues. Also it mixed and it was full of awesomeness.
Can you show me the lick? Maybe I'll understand what he was talking about if you can do that, or give me the notes or something.
-Chick Corea
Let's say you playing over a C minor 12 bar blues. naturally minor pentatonic would be a good way to go, although over the G chord you could play the half-whole diminished scale, giving a 7b9 sound, resolving back to Cm.

Maybe that's what he was getting at.
-------------------------6-9-6-8-5- then descend pentatonic blues style
--------------------5-8--------
------------------6------------
-----------5-7-8-----
----5-6-7------------
5-8----------------
Ibanez rg770
Washburn x50proq
Ibanez rg7621
peavey 6505 plus combo
Boss Ge 7
vox satchurator
Cae mc404 wah
That's just an A minor pentatonic blues going into a Bb°7 (or Db°7, E°7 or G°7 depending on how you look at it) arpeggio, then back to A minor pentatonic blues. It's not really combining the two. It's just using one, then using the other, then going back to the one.

This lick could be used over a progression that goes A Bb°7 A or Am Bb°7 Am or something like that.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Aug 25, 2010,