I've looked around and don't see anything about this. If I'm wrong feel free to redirect.

I'm looking at hacking some on a Yamaha with Fat Strat pickup configuration (H-S-S). I'd like to try wiring a pickup for over-and-under operation. I'd first considered simply putting an iron core around the strings and set onto a single coil. But I've also got a spare single coil to work with.

Questions:
1. Is there such an animal out there in the wild?
2. Would a passive core wrapped around the strings add any sensitivity to a pick up?
3. If two pickups are placed one above the other, what configuration/wiring options are there; what configurations would be a problem (ie. what arrangement would cancel due to destructive interference)?
4. If it "can't" work, please tell me why so I can work around that.
look up rickenbacker horseshoe pickup to get some ideas about what you are doing. I've never done anything like this myself but I do know that your ideas can work. I just don't know how well.
Quote by CorduroyEW
look up rickenbacker horseshoe pickup to get some ideas about what you are doing. I've never done anything like this myself but I do know that your ideas can work. I just don't know how well.

Righty-o. Patent 2089171 is the Rickenbacher lap steel with horseshoe pickup. That's the extended core idea. Since they used them mostly on basses and quit about the time they went to high gain pick ups I'm betting it works only somewhat and requires a good deal of flux to drive it.

Still not quite two pickups, one of them inverted. Got a question off to an expert re: phasing and such. Will post back. Thanks.