Hey guys,
Yup, I'm a newb to this forum and registered because I thought it would be a great place to get some good/experienced advice. First off I am playing an older strat knock off, which is falling apart and just doesn't have the tone I desire. My favourite music is Country Twang (Buck, Merle, Dwight, Conway etc..) and I've always wanted a telecaster! My budget is pretty low so I'd really only be looking at Squiers most likely. Now I've heard bad things about them and some positive things.. I realize they are a cheaper guitar and won't have the longevity of a American made fender.. but I think they'd do the trick for what I want! Just wondering, what your guys favourite sounding squier tele is? And which would suit my style of music and playing (Going for a Don Rich style)? What you like and dislike about them?
Thanks guys!
Any insight would be great...

DonRichTwang
Can you give a more exact budget? If you're looking for a good tele, I'm almost sure you could find a used MiM Fender Tele for around $250 (USD), I see MiM Fenders a lot on CraigsList going from $200-$400.
definately look for a made in mexico telecaster.
GEAR:
1959 Vintage Gibson Melody Maker
Fender Stratocaster
Martin OMM
Epi Les Paul Std
Pitchblack
Dunlop Wah
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Holy Grail Reverb
Palomino V16

For pictures of my gear click http://s464.photobucket.com/albums/rr8/spoutz/Guitar Gear/?albumview=grid nao!

-Matt

Sláinte

Quote by TheAbsentOne
Can you give a more exact budget? If you're looking for a good tele, I'm almost sure you could find a used MiM Fender Tele for around $250 (USD), I see MiM Fenders a lot on CraigsList going from $200-$400.

Budget is under $300 Canadian.. Used would be alright, if it's pretty minty! What are the main differences between MiM's and MiA's?

Also would any Effect Pedals really boast the tone I want? I play through my Hand-me-down (Grandfather's - Father's - Mine) 1965 Fender BF Bandmaster.

Thanks for all the info so far Guys! Really a help!
Quote by DonRichTwang
Budget is under $300 Canadian.. Used would be alright, if it's pretty minty! What are the main differences between MiM's and MiA's?

Well aside from the assembly location (Mexico/USA), you're just getting lesser quality parts, but its still a great guitar. The QC has really improved lately from what I hear.

As far as FX, if you're a country player, that Bandmaster should really be all you need, I don't know if it's a Bandmaster Reverb model or not, if not a reverb might be nice, and an OD if you ever want to bring it into the overdrive territory without having to crank your amp and destroy your ears.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
You might wanna look around to find a used telecaster for 400-500$. A lot of idiots buy them without thinking and end up selling them for low prices, it's not a quality problem, but more of a style issue
Even the hardware on MIA and MIM is largely similar. I've found that the biggest differences are quality control, but at the same time a really good MIM can play as well or better than a bad MIA.

The amp should get you all you need, but like MF pointed out you may want an overdrive pedal if that's a sound option you'd like.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
Quote by Ramwen
You might wanna look around to find a used telecaster for 400-500$. A lot of idiots buy them without thinking and end up selling them for low prices, it's not a quality problem, but more of a style issue

Thanks Ramwen, I have been looking around Canada a fair bit for any kind of telecaster.. Seems like the price range up here is 650 - 1000. And decent used squiers are going for around 200.. But from what I've heard from you guys on UG, is to go for an MiM or MiA cause its worth it..
Quote by Pink Muse
Even the hardware on MIA and MIM is largely similar. I've found that the biggest differences are quality control, but at the same time a really good MIM can play as well or better than a bad MIA.

The amp should get you all you need, but like MF pointed out you may want an overdrive pedal if that's a sound option you'd like.

Thanks for the info Josh, And to answer an earlier post by MortifiedLizard - No the Bandmaster isn't a reverb. Any good brands of pedals I should look for, that are cost efficient?

Thanks guys! Keep the opinions and info coming!!! Would really like to hear about the actual Squier line of Tele's a bit too..
If you're not going to be gigging for a while Boss pedals should get the job done. Most of their distortion pedals aren't that great, but their effects are usually decent. If you have the disposable income, Line 6 has awesome modeling pedals, but they're $250 each new. The DL4 is a delay modeler that might come in handy.
Electro-Harmonix has the Cathedral reverb pedal at about $200 new, and the Holy Grail reverb for $150ish, also great pedals.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
You could try getting a SX Furrian from rondomusic.com. They are great guitars and the quality is in the build giving you room to upgrade pickups and electronics down the line and end up with a serious player. They cost $109 and you would probably want to upgrade the tuners on it but that can be done cheaply at guitarfetish. Also with a budget of $300 that leaves you open for a hardshell case from rondomusic for about $50

If you absolutely have to have namebrand I suggest a squier standard. You can get them brand new on your budget but if you dont mind used try checking pawn shops. Ive found a pawnshop here selling a Fender Tele Standard for $230
Last edited by Darkdevil725 at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by MortifiedLizard
The QC has really improved lately from what I hear.

funny ive heard the exact opposite about MIM fenders.

OP get a classic vibe, or vintage modified tele from squier. there is virtually no difference in sound, and the quallity easily surpasses the MIM fenders.
Quote by Darkdevil725
You could try getting a SX Furrian from rondomusic.com. They are great guitars and the quality is in the build giving you room to upgrade pickups and electronics down the line and end up with a serious player. They cost $109 and you would probably want to upgrade the tuners on it but that can be done cheaply at guitarfetish. Also with a budget of $300 that leaves you open for a hardshell case from rondomusic for about $50

If you absolutely have to have namebrand I suggest a squier standard. You can get them brand new on your budget but if you dont mind used try checking pawn shops. Ive found a pawnshop here selling a Fender Tele Standard for $230

Thanks for the info Darkdevil725, I'll have to look into that and check out rondomusic. I've called a few pawn shops around here.. nothing has come up yet..
Quote by Alucard817
funny ive heard the exact opposite about MIM fenders.

OP get a classic vibe, or vintage modified tele from squier. there is virtually no difference in sound, and the quallity easily surpasses the MIM fenders.

That's what I was hoping for! A little info bout the squier lineup.. I knowwww they aren't all that bad! How do those two models differ from the Squier Standard Tele?

Please keep the info coming about the Squier Tele's guys! I really want to learn more about them before making a decision..

DRT
I had a 2008 Indonesian-made Squier Standard tele for about a year that I bought new for $200 USD. The build quality didn't irk me, but there were some issues. The control cavity was routed a little too large toward the bottom cutaway, so the screw holding the plate in didn't have anything to grab. Fixed with some putty, wasn't really a problem. As far as the neck and body, everything was tight and straight with no intonation or warping issues. I took the guitar apart to do a once-over and swap the pickups, and it went back together and stayed tight and straight.

As far as being a playable guitar, the tone was decent and it felt pretty good. I only ended up selling it because I didn't play it enough, and nothing stays in my collection if I don't bond with it or if I can't make a profit on it. I broke even when I sold it.
well the vintage modified are in my opinion the better line. typically made from indian red ceder or alder all sport chrome hardware and duncun designed pups. actually my favorite is the thin line semi hollow tele.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/guitars?N=100001+304262&Ntk=All&Ntt=vintage+modified&Nty=1
the classic vibe tends to be a little more expensive but they are classics, taken directly from the blue prints of the 50's and 60's models
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Classic-Vibe-Telecaster-50s-Electric-Guitar-?sku=519376
http://www.squierguitars.com/
best thing i can suggest is checking these guitars out on youtube, or going to a local dealer.
see which one best fits your style.
oh and while your there pick me up a thin line tele ok.

the standard tele is made from agathis (softwood, which can be prone to dents) and the hardware is just meh. i would go with one of the VM/CV before i would go with a standard.
Last edited by Alucard817 at Aug 27, 2010,
Indian Ceder is a terrible wood for a solid body guitar and the VM are generally a terrible line of guitars. Their one and only selling point is their stock electronics and hardware are better than most of the other Squiers.

The Classic Vibe models are a different story. Those actually are very good guitars - on par with the MIM Fenders and arguably a little better in some respects (especially the stock pickups). The CV Telecaster Custom uses alnico V pickups for a little more power, has an alder body for slightly better tonal balance, a rosewood fretboard which warms the tone a little (and feels different to play on - whether you prefer maple or rosewood is down to you, there's no outright 'best') and the body is bound along both edges. The CV Telecaster has a pine body which give a slightly brighter and snappier tone, an all-maple neck which brightens the tone further, and alnico III pickups for more classic response and a more open tone. The CV Telecaster is arguably the best plain Telecaster you can get before hitting the Fender MIM Deluxe line.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Wow!! Some solid facts guys!! Thanks Tepperboner, Alucard817, and MrFlibble. That helped a lot. And yup, I have been using youtube a lot to listen to the differences.. but its hard to decifer when everybody is using a different amp and different settings. As for my Local dealer, they aren't all that big and don't usually stock any squier tele's.
Thanks again guys!
I would go for a MIM Telecaster too. I have seen and heard of people wanting to sell their guitars for $250-$400 dollars. If you could get one closer to $250 that would be great because you could then modify it. Then, you could make it pretty much exactly like you want it.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)