I'm on the lookout for a very cheap Les Paul guitar. I don't care about tone and don't care all that much about appearance. I just want something under £40/£50. Not really fussed if it's second-hand either. Does anybody know somewhere to get one? I'm planning to completely replace almost every single part and just use it as an experimental guitar for building and customizing. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks

ParasiticTwins wrote:

Words cannot describe how excited i am... but 'not' probably sums it up best.
I don't really know if anywhere or anyone would sell a Les Paul for THAT cheap. I mean, we're talking like so cheap that it's broken. That's the only way I see anyone selling em that cheap. But you could try Craigslist. Worth a shot...
Well, there's no les pauls for that cheap, but rondomusic.com has a bunch of strats and teles you can get. The cheapest les paul on the site is $120, but that may be a bit steep.
I'm a drummer, guitarist, bassist, songwriter, and vocalist. It's good to be balanced.
Rondomusic looks great, found one for $120, seems reasonable, considering I was looking for something basically broken anyways. Only problem is they're gonna charge almost that much for shipping.... Know any U.K based sites?
ParasiticTwins wrote:

Rondo is you best bet.

Dude the agile les pauls are sweet. they are like 300 bucks but they blow epiphones out of the water.....
You do realise we cant get rondo guitars over here...

gumtree.com
use it well
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
^ There are people who believe the world ceases to exist outside of the US border.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Save your money until you can afford something better. This goes for learning how to play too...patients is a virtue.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
eBay, second hand Vintage V99 Les Paul. You can get them for around £50. I picked one up a couple of years ago for that price. It has a bolt on neck & Eastern Poplar body so is less popular (& hence cheaper) than the more common V100.
Swift Music, London. They recently got new stock in.
You will need to file the fret ends from what I have heard. Probably best if you're not allergic to MDF/chipboard.

http://swiftmusiclondon.weebly.com/electric-guitars.html
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Last edited by Lurcher at Aug 26, 2010,
For your budget you'll only get a guitar that's either suited to be firewood or something to smash in a video. I highly doubt you'll get anything playable or that would stay in tune for that amount of money.
Moving on.....
Swift Music, Legendary! Getting a Les Paul and a Strat for my friend. Thanks very much! I don't care if they feel awful, sound awful, are made of pure awfulness, as that's kinda the point. We're completely ripping these things to pieces, we just wanted the body, and this is cheaper than getting the wood! Thanks. By wood, I mean material, as these bodies are probably 90% plastic, but it's already shaped and cut how we want them, so time to turn this plastic into awesomeness... possibly.
ParasiticTwins wrote:

Last edited by Metal_Militian at Aug 26, 2010,
the body is an important part of a guitar.

get a decent body if you want the guitar to be decent.

or don't expect awesomeness...
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by SpacePirateFace
Rondo is you best bet.

Dude the agile les pauls are sweet. they are like 300 bucks but they blow epiphones out of the water.....

They also have SX les paul copies. They are bolt on's, but they are like 100 dollars cheap.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ There are people who believe the world ceases to exist outside of the US border.

Quote by Carrot
You do realise we cant get rondo guitars over here...

gumtree.com
use it well

I apologize. I didn't know this was ultimate-guitar.co.uk.......
Unless I see the UK at the end I don't think about people on that site being from another country(yes i know its the net).
Its just not something people concern themselves with. Also...the US is big, you people are small and spread out, each having different customs and laws. I live in Texas...you can drive 12+ hours and not be out of the state. People arent really concerned with the world aboard. Especially when there's a pond between us.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Aug 26, 2010,
^ Precisely. Even though you're using a global system, you just assume by default everybody's a Yank.

Bit silly.

Also, not sure if you've noticed yet or not, but events abroad greatly shape your events at home, especially in the last 15 years or so.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Last edited by bubb_tubbs at Aug 26, 2010,
I have seen les pauls go on ebay for $50-$100 dollars. They look pretty good, but are total crap. I think the brand name was titan or something.
***Guitars***
Epiphone Les Paul Custom AP (w/ 2 Seymour Duncans)
Jackson Dx10D Dinky (w/ DiMarzio PAF Bridge)
Epihpone Hummingbird

***Amps***
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Voodoo Modified)
Custom 4x12 Halfstack (w/ Veteran 30's)
Quote by teamhex
I apologize. I didn't know this was ultimate-guitar.co.uk.......
Unless I see the UK at the end I don't think about people on that site being from another country(yes i know its the net).
Its just not something people concern themselves with. Also...the US is big, you people are small and spread out, each having different customs and laws. I live in Texas...you can drive 12+ hours and not be out of the state. People arent really concerned with the world aboard. Especially when there's a pond between us.

You DO realize that UG is hosted in Russia, right?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by bubb_tubbs
^ Precisely. Even though you're using a global system, you just assume by default everybody's a Yank.

Bit silly.

Also, not sure if you've noticed yet or not, but events abroad greatly shape your events at home, especially in the last 15 years or so.

I just don't like the attitude about it. You think all Americans are ignorant and don't care about whats going on. Believe it or not I subscribe to the international version of CNN because im tried of reading about celebs.
Like I said its .com not .co.uk and there arent many of you people in the states and to be honest in the last 5 years iv seen maybe 2 people with euro accents. We apologize for not caring about ones nationality. We are a melting pot you know, lol.

Quote by Raijouta
You DO realize that UG is hosted in Russia, right?

Thats not the point im trying to make. I'm just saying unless someone is told otherwise they just assume people are like them. Whether or not you get annoyed by that is your business. Just don't assume all Americans are ignorant because one person assumed you might be able to buy from a site that happens to only ship in the US.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional - 11
Fender Stratocaster MIM - 04
Fender Mustang - 04
Taylor 214ce - 10
Last edited by teamhex at Aug 27, 2010,
Quote by teamhex
I just don't like the attitude about it. You think all Americans are ignorant and don't care about whats going on. Believe it or not I subscribe to the international version of CNN because im tried of reading about celebs.
Like I said its .com not .co.uk and there arent many of you people in the states and to be honest in the last 5 years iv seen maybe 2 people with euro accents. We apologize for not caring about ones nationality. We are a melting pot you know, lol.

Thats not the point im trying to make. I'm just saying unless someone is told otherwise they just assume people are like them. Whether or not you get annoyed by that is your business. Just don't assume all Americans are ignorant because one person assumed you might be able to buy from a site that happens to only ship in the US.

How is that even related to anything? Just because we dont live in the US doesnt mean we dont have internet access?

Tbh im not really bothered if somebody assumed everyone lives in the US.
It happens alot on UG. Cause yeah, its primarily a yank website.

People stereotype. Like yanks generally think brits spend there days drinking tea, avoiding mouth hygeine and worshiping the queen.

Shit happens.
Well, the main topic of this thread seems to have gone astray. Thanks to EVERYBODY for their suggestions and help, Rondo music will in fact ship to the U.K, just at an expense. That doesn't mean that didn't help, just means I will have to search for a U.K. based site to avoid high shipping costs. We're all the same, we're all people, just because some of us on this site are from the U.S, and some are from the U.K., and the rest of the world has access to this site, doesn't mean any bodys opinion and contribution is useless. After all, we're all here because the one thing that joins us together: We all play The Guitar. I don't care if you play Rock, Pop, Jazz, Swing, Polka, Folk ,Metal or whatever, the main thing is we all share the same passion. See, now after my award winning speech, just shut up and get along! Damn you guys are difficult!
ParasiticTwins wrote:

Truth is I want a crap guitar, just to prove that even cheap budget guitars can sound great - with a little effort.

I already have 2 amazingly built guitars:
- Dean ML - Dean From Hell
- Epiphone Explorer - 1958 Gothic

They play amazingly and didn't cost me a load. (The Dean was a birthday present and I got the Explorer brand new for £230).
ParasiticTwins wrote:

Last edited by Metal_Militian at Aug 29, 2010,
There are no UK based websites that will ship rondo products i believe. Rondo manufacture (or get them manufactured in a cheap factory) and sell there own stuff. Which is why its so cheap to begin with, theres no middle man.

Even if there was a UK based site, youd be paying for import duties, VAT, shipping from the US and on top of that; money so that site can make a profit. Agile is out of the question really. Buying a guitar from the US is too much hassle.

Honestly man Ill sell you my les paul, it was like £140 new, the neck cracked and ive glued it back, if you plan on a refin you wouldnt even notice.
Didn't mean a U.K. based Rondo site, sorry, just meant a U.K. based cheap Les Paul site. But I've found a Les Paul - SwiftMusic £49, plus postage of £10. It's a Natural finish, which I'm in love with. So thanks for all your suggestions, much thanks to Lurcher for the site recommendation, the necks are probably all bolt-on on that site, as bolt-on is cheaper to make, so can just replace that, or just replace the fretboard, so fret ends wont be a problem.

Thanks again. Keep being inspired by awesome guitarists. Listen to Paul Gilbert. Share your love and talent with the world!
ParasiticTwins wrote:

Epihpone les paul special is $185 canadian new... im sure you can find a used one for your target price...

It may not be the greatest guitar, but it does its job and im happy with it..