What's the lognest you have seen an artist wait to come back for the encore set?

Page 1 of 2
I was at Tom Petty last night (great show!) and he must have waited 4 or 5 minutes or something like that. BTBAM waited a while too if I remember.
Tick tock and waiting for the meteor
This clock is opening another door
Last edited by Msword7 at Aug 25, 2010,
Was probably putting his hip back into place.

Y'know because he's old and stuff.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
AC/DC, in Portugal.

Everyone started clapping and shouting for a solid 10 minutes, but they didn't come back on.
4 or 5 minutes is a long time? Jesus, I waited near half an hour for Black Label Society, Zakk took FOREVER to come back out.

The same goes for Korn, we all must have been chanting and cheering for close to 20 minutes.
I took my girlfriend to see Taking Back Sunday last year. They took 2 or 3 minutes to come back on, but played for another hour or so...
Both times I saw Modest Mouse it was like ten minutes, at least. Plus an absurdly long set up time. Well worth it though.
Does anyone else find it odd that most bands plan to have an "encore"? Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of an encore?
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Quote by tehmusicjunkie
AC/DC, in Portugal.

Everyone started clapping and shouting for a solid 10 minutes, but they didn't come back on.

When i saw them they waited about 30 seconds or so.

Same when I went to see Paul Gilbert.

Disclaimer: By reading the above post, you agree that El Hilliaro is legally and morally free from any responsiblity should any harm be incurred by said post.

Also, you agree that I'm awesome and own all your stuff now.
I hate encores. Every goddamn band does it now. I would actually love it if a band just came up before the last song and said 'this is our last song of the night, no really it is' and then just finished and left. I'm so sick of bands saying 'this is our last song' and then playing three more.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Still waiting for that GnR encore...
Quote by vagelier
Nothing is more arousing for girls than a man who claims that he doesn't have worms - and can prove it with conclusive evidence.

Black
Then
White are
All I see
In my infancy
Red and yellow then came to be
Reaching out to me.
Lets me see.
Quote by Kriegherz
Still waiting for that GnR encore...

lmao!!
Music is not the Olympics. It's not a sport; it's a form of expression. There is no such thing as bad music. There may be music that you personally don't like, but if you don't like it, don't listen to it.." Eddie Van Halen
Quote by isabiggles
I hate encores. Every goddamn band does it now. I would actually love it if a band just came up before the last song and said 'this is our last song of the night, no really it is' and then just finished and left. I'm so sick of bands saying 'this is our last song' and then playing three more.

yeah its horrible. i mean 3 more songs added to a set that you paid to see.
I waited ~15 for Mastodon at the NEMHF but they were having issues with the soundguy so it was a bit understandable.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Quote by isabiggles

What a bunch of bastards, playing more songs after they planned on being done
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
I don't know about length in between sets, but Paul McCartney played 2 encores, which was totally unexpected.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by isabiggles

i can't believe that they would do such a thing!! Giving a crowd what they want?!?! It's absurd!
saw the stones in lausanne switzerland, they were an hour late to take the stage then waited 20 mins for the encore, gotta love em though
Pearl Jam usually does 2 encores, with about a 10-12 min gap before the first one, RHCP were like 20 min before they came back on, Foo Fighters about 6-8min.
4 min is incredibly short to wait for a band to come back on
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
I probably waited 4-5 minutes when i saw Lynyrd Skynyrd, but it was worth it because i got to yell FREE BIRD!!
pearl jam does the best encores i was in zagreb 4 years ago and they came back for about 3-5 minutes but then again they went off the stage, and the crowd kept on shouting and the lights went on but we didn't want to leave and they came back again
that was my first "bigger" concert and it still is my favorite concert
Damageplan. They still haven't finished the set...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
i once went to see HIM and they walked off said goodbye, they had played every song and people were still yelling for more. So when they came back out they played a cover of rebel yell. I think bands should plan an encore but not a crazy huge song that everyone knows is coming they should pick some random cult classic and only play it if say the crowd is going crazy for like 10-15 min.
Keep On Keepen' On
Quote by isabiggles

Ever thought perhaps you shouldn't be spending your money on gig tickets?
Quote by CFH82
Ejaculate in MY moustache?!

Music is just wiggly air. Accept it or leave it.ಠ_ಠ
Muse, for 10 minutes.
Crazier than a fish with titties.
Quote by Lord_Hondros
That was a great troll, and it made me laugh. Which then made me cause I was having a good time being scared shitless

Quote by behind_you
Grandfather clocks and jizz.
Quote by biga29

You sir, shall burn in hell!!!!!
I only waited about as long as it takes to put on a headdress for Ted Nugents encore.
Iron Maiden was like 15 minutes or so. They came back and played like 4 songs, but it was obviously planned.

Quote by Pat_s1t
I remember Das_Skittles made me rage hard.

Quote by WCPhils
I can't stand Das_Skittles everything he says makes me mad.

Quote by due 07
Skittles is the shit you cuntles. Slob on his knob.

My Band Youtube Channel Last.fm
I've only actually seen two bands who played an encore. Vader were off for about 30 seconds before they came back on and played another song. Metallica only left the stage long enough to change guitars.
Quote by isabiggles

+1
signature
Metallica in Caracas came back after like 10 minutes of thousands of euphoric teenage and adult metalheads screaming their lungs out (we were very excited because they came here for the first time in 11 years).
No muerde, no calla
Sin sangre no hay arte
Nada ni nadie
De nada más

Quote by Amos_Moses
I only waited about as long as it takes to put on a headdress for Ted Nugents encore.

haha, yeah I saw him here. Very entertaining guy.

But I think encored should be a bit more natural. Something that is expected, but not planned. I think the only time I knew the artist wasn't gonna encore was Buddy Guy, who let his band play a song or two, and then after they were done, they got the audience to call Buddy's name, but he never came back out...
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
I've never been in a log nest but i don't plan on it either, might be dangerous...

OT: about 5 mins
Gotta keep my eyes from the circling skies...
tounge tied and twisted just an earth bound misfit...

>CRYPTIC METAPHOR<

Quote by ilikepirates
ilikeyou.

not hated
Ulver don't do encores.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Quote by biga29

That was awful
Quote by isabiggles

The Cribs do that. They introduce the last song then say "no encores." before playing it. I find that more odd than a band coming back on.

As for me, Bloc Party came back on after about 2 minutes, then went away, and all the lights came on. People were halfway out of the venue after about 5 minutes after their last song, when they came back on out of nowhere. Cue stampede.

I was in the middle of saying to my mate that I was gutted they didn't play "She's Hearing Voices" when they came back on to play it It backfired a bit though, some people didn't even realise they came on again and had left.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
Pearl Jam did three encores when I saw them, with about a half-hour before the last one.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Encores can be a good thing to plan. At least to know what song you're going to play. Example of bad planning; My band had a show about two weeks back. We had played about a 20 song setlist, and thought we totally exhausted the crowd. We turned to put our instruments up and the audience started chanting "encore! encore! encore!" We just looked at eachother like o.o "Uhhh.... what do we do now?"
A7X years ago were like half an hour late, played a crap set, and then waited like half an hour for the encore. Waste of time.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
At a Thrice show about 5 or 6 years ago they came out to do an encore. They played the opening riff to T/C then shouted "April Fools!". (It was April 1st) Best/worst April fools joke ever.
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
Page 1 of 2